PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutting off Branch: First indication of franchise rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tailgater said:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/print...97sep17,0,3422949.column?coll=ny-sports-print

All of a sudden his agents are pretty mouthy. "Contentious negotiations?" Since when? Pats hadn't talked to them since April! I am curious about the statement of a player calling Branch...Brady?

Who's surprised that these agents would react this way? They have nothing to loose and everything to gain with this type of media coverage. I agree on the premise that the Patriots wanted to keep their WR, but it's kinda hard to keep someone who's so determined to wreak havoc with your contract/negotiation formula.

tailgater said:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/print...97sep17,0,3422949.column?coll=ny-sports-print

All of a sudden his agents are pretty mouthy. "Contentious negotiations?" Since when? Pats hadn't talked to them since April! I am curious about the statement of a player calling Branch...Brady?
I am curious about how this writer has made up things that never happened. I am starting to think MOST agents are pond scum..fight for what is right?? Liek not honoring contracts?? Like not showing up for work?? Sorry the Twig will get his as he back pedals his importnace..Give me the money but NOT the spotlight...

Please let this be the last Branch thread posted on this message board.

Also, please no more salary cap threads untill they apply to a certain player.

Thank you

This Branch business is getting ridiculous. I'm not even going to waste my time reading that entire article. The first two paragraphs were enough.
The media is making more out of this than is necessary. This entire offseason the media has thrown dirt at this team. From the head coach to ownership. I'm probably paranoid, but it feels like there is a contious effort to bring this team down. Congratulations to them, they've won round one. We'll see what happens next. I'll bet money that our FO won't get burned like this again by anyone. I don't think Brady was the only one who learned from this experience. As for the agents, who cares what they have to say.

Branch is not the only player who held out this offseason. Are the Denver Broncos falling apart because Lelie held out? The Patriots did not miscalculate Branch's value. The Seahawks overpaid for it. Whatever, they can have him. I'm tired of talking about him, and I'm tired of hearing about him. Branch is not and never was the most important player on this team. Let the mediots say what they want.

This team has a bright future. We are getting younger, We are in GREAT cap shape, and the core of this team is still intact. I never considered Branch as part of that group, and I never will. Come on guys, BREATHE. This team got over the loss of Milloy. They will get over this one. We had some losses this year, more than usual. I'm sure the guys on the team were wondering so who replaces this guy or that guy. I wonder if we would still have all that cap space if the Pats weren't so busy trying to sign LAW and the Obnipotent One. :rolleyes: Maybe we could have spent our money elsewhere if they weren't saving it for them.

And another thing. Somebody please explain to me when Deion Branch became a perenniel Pro Bowl WR, who produced 1,000 plus yards receiving the last four years? Jeez, a Super Bowl MVP sure does wonders for a players reputation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
By agreeing late in the preseason to give Branch's agents a week to seek teams willing to reach contract agreements and trade for him, the Patriots gambled he wouldn't get a deal close to what he got. They lost. The agents - Jason Chayut, Brian Mackler and Alan Herman of New York-based SportStars - got the Jets and Seahawks to agree on six-year, $39-million deals, surpassing the Patriots' best offer by $10 million.

I still dont see how the Patriots lost. They got a 1st round pick for a #2 receiver.

Willie55 said:
I still dont see how the Patriots lost. They got a 1st round pick for a #2 receiver.

Willie, don't worry about it. After hearing Jonathan Kraft the other day, I'm beginning to wonder if the media is jumping to conclusions and making things up.:rolleyes:
He said that Branch's camp was not countering any of the offers and that the Patriots offer was not necessarily still on the table at the time of that announcement. We will never know.
They did the right thing, IMO. The guy was unsignable. Anyone who turns down two offers, and is determined to hold out without even trying to counter those offers, is UNSIGNABLE IMO. They traded him while his value was high. If they had waited, I don't think that we would have received a first round pick.

Willie55 said:
Yeah, I'm fine with it. Everyone is saying we blew it by letting him look around but the other option would be for him to still be sitting at home. That MAY have resulted in him returning Week 10, being Franchised and then traded for a #1 but it may not. Having the extra #1 in the bag can hardly be considered losing.

Where did that thread go where I stated that players were upset at the way the Pats FO handled this situation? And people called me a liar. Well I guess I'll keep this on file in case I need to defend my good name in the future...

Patriots veterans were clearly upset at Branch's departure, especially given that he had done everything the organization had asked. The fact that the team is attempting to recoup nearly $800,000 in fines and bonus money only adds to the frustration. "When you look at Deion Branch, he embodies everything as a football player and everything that we talked about as the type of guys we want on this team," said Pro Bowl defensive end Richard Seymour, who briefly held out last year in a contract dispute. "I saw a lot of hearts broken when coach Belichick announced that move."

DefenseRules said:
.....The media is making more out of this than is necessary.....

which has been the case from the start.

PATSNUTme said:
Please let this be the last Branch thread posted on this message board.

Also, please no more salary cap threads untill they apply to a certain player.

Thank you
I second that. I'm so sick of hearing it. It's time to move on and talk about the players ON the team.

ClosingTime said:
Where did that thread go where I stated that players were upset at the way the Pats FO handled this situation? And people called me a liar. Well I guess I'll keep this on file in case I need to defend my good name in the future...

Patriots veterans were clearly upset at Branch's departure, especially given that he had done everything the organization had asked. The fact that the team is attempting to recoup nearly $800,000 in fines and bonus money only adds to the frustration. "When you look at Deion Branch, he embodies everything as a football player and everything that we talked about as the type of guys we want on this team," said Pro Bowl defensive end Richard Seymour, who briefly held out last year in a contract dispute. "I saw a lot of hearts broken when coach Belichick announced that move."
And as we've all said, that's too f*cking bad for the players who are the first to pull the "it's a business" card. We now know The Twig got more but the Patriots have nothing to be ashamed of for offering him over $6M a year - which I said at the time was overpaying him.

If the players have a problem with it they can be big boys and get over it.

this is just getting annoying.

reading the title of this thread is irritating b/c there are 400 similar ones.

We didn't lose, we won.
He is not that great.
A 1st round pick for someone liike that is incredible.

AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT WHETHER BRANCH AND HIS AGENT "WON" OR NOT, IT DOES NOT ******* MATTER!!!!!!!!!

Brick wall...meet person who believes he would have honored Branch's contract.

ClosingTime said:

Please add this to that file:

As the season plays out, the fine play of Gabriel and awesome rookie play of Jackson will fill the void left by the dearly departed Givens & Branch. And, oh, by the way, New England did get that number one pick of Seattle's........he who laughs last buddy........

BelichickFan said:
And as we've all said, that's too f*cking bad for the players who are the first to pull the "it's a business" card. We now know The Twig got more but the Patriots have nothing to be ashamed of for offering him over $6M a year - which I said at the time was overpaying him.

If the players have a problem with it they can be big boys and get over it.

Nobody's first to use the "it's a business" card. When the Patriots got rid of Willy, the office and the fans say "it's a business". When Branch gets himself traded out, "it's a business"

It applies both ways. No matter who says it or doesn't, it's ALWAYS just a business.

ClosingTime said:

Where in there does it say that players were upset at the way the Pat's FO handled this situation? Oh that's right, it doesn't. They were upset that a deal didn't get done, but Brady clearly indicated his support for this FO and their disciplined approach to the business end of football. And last time I checked Richard isn't the player personnel evaluator who decides what embodies our kind of player. Honoring your contract and caring more about winning championships than landing a better or just bigger sounding deal than (...name the player you are obcessed with guaging yourself against) is part of the equation in evaluating our kind of player. Those who can't or won't fit that part of the models are just transient rentals. They will be replaced by other transient rentals, either draftees or hungry veterans until or unless one of those emerges as a long term solution at the position. That is the system.

Seymour is still grappling with the fact that what he did last season led his little buddy to try the same tack and that led to the only viable alternative being his playing 3500 miles west of Gillette from here on.

Brady now understands that players who holdout for $$$ aren't always just trying to leverage a little more out of his team - despite how much they tell him they want to stay here with him. The resolve he misjudged wasn't Belioli's - it was Branch's. From here on out when they start this crap they are on their own. He will support their right to, but he won't invest his time (working with them after hours) or his emotions in what was apparently never a terribly tortured decision for the Branch camp. It was always going to be pay me now or I quit on you - FO and teamates - something Brady couldn't comprehend his buddy ultimately doing six weeks ago.

That is the mistake he acknowledged. Richard has yet to acknowledge his. And that doesn't surprise me because I believe while Richard certainly leads by example in his performance on and off the field, sometimes effectively and other times poorly, he is not a natural born leader like Brady. This is Tommy's team and Richard is merely the most talented player on it's defense. They have tried to bring Richard along as a leader, and while he is more vocal than he used to be he is still not a good fit because of his own lingering mindset. He kvetched for 3 years about his deal and chaffed when guys like Stroud got a bigger deal before he did. Until that stops mattering to him, if it ever does, he cannot be a leadership fit in this system.

A few years ago when they tapped Tedy to throw out the first pitch on opening day at Fenway, they also targeted Richard who had to be talked into it. They wanted to expose him to what it could be like to be an icon in a sports crazy town for years to come. They wanted him to rub shoulders with the Orr's and Russel's in attendance, and while it did strike a cord with him it was not a sufficient one to stave off his own holdout just three months later. It is worth noting that at that time getting deals done was not an easy thing for this franchise to do. We were up against the cap and facing potential labor unrest. But all Richard could see was Brady got his so where is mine? His was always in 2006, and had we accomplished that without the holdout Branch might be on the field today.

Or had the mediots not decided to award Branch Brady's third MVP trophy one February - because absent that Branch's resume is that of a 4/$18-20M WR. Worth a little more to this team perhaps because his skill set suited Brady's and this system. And as Peter King indicated yesterday on some level the players in the Patriots locker room understood that, support for a beloved teamate aside.

Last edited:
ClosingTime said:

?????? You have to ask somebody to honor their contract, attend minicamp, attend pre season games, show up for the first game?

RI Pats Fan said:
Nobody's first to use the "it's a business" card. When the Patriots got rid of Willy, the office and the fans say "it's a business". When Branch gets himself traded out, "it's a business"

It applies both ways. No matter who says it or doesn't, it's ALWAYS just a business.
Unfortunately..that is VERY simplistic. Firstly, the players agree through the CBA that players can be cut by teams and that most contracts are not guaranteed. So trying to compare a situation that players agree to with actions that can cause fines is hardly the same. McGinest knew the contract he had was backloaded with a large amount of money and that given his age, he could be cut. That is hardly the same as a player who is under contract refusing to work and demanding the contract be cut apart.
What Branch did was pretty slimy and unethical and if you believe that is "just business"..the next time you go to get your car repaired and have to go to a new repairman. Don't complain if he pulls your car apart and charges you an arm and a leg, unethically. "It's just business"...what BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes