PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutler is going to play elsewhere in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Cutler is undeniably showing signs of an uncontrolled ego and immaturity, I think the base of all his issues is more likely to be pure and simple greed. He is only 3 years into his rookie contract and he wants more money without putting in the effort to earn it. I suspect that his agent realizes this too, and so they are leveraging his pro-bowl appearance to maximize his value. The reason I think this is that every time I read pro-Cutler articles they are inevitably accompanied by the word "pro-bowler".

That one word signifies more than it should. It falsely promotes Cutler to be one of the top 6 QBs in the NFL, which is preposterous for a team leader who tanked the end of the season and ended up 8-8. I sympathize with the fact that Denver had no defense, but he has developed a self image which far exceeds reality, and without Hoculi's gift he would be 7-9. Yes he has a big arm, but if that is not wed to intelligence and learning he will only be a Favresque gun-slinger. It is possible that others are beginning to see this, so while the luster of Pro-Bowler bedazzles he and his agent are trying to maximize his income before it fades.

I feel sorry for Bronco fans - as he had the potential to become one of the greats but wanted to be Elway too soon, without realizing that Elway's greatest gift was never giving up. He has chosen money over learning and dedication, all I can say is Cave Emptor (buyer beware).

Its going to be interesting as to where he will go though, because few teams will want to pay Denver's asking price as well as Cutler's wage/bonus demands. Sounds to me like the Jets or the Redskins (with the Browns in the middle of any 3 way trade).

The Jets would be ironic though as they would essentially be trading for Favre-lite.

I tend to agree that money is a huge factor for his immaturity act. If he gets traded and even mentions new contract alot of suspicions will be confirmed.

Btw I agree he will never be close to Elway. Never. Marino and Elway from day 1 could take a team with no defense and running game and win you 10 or 11 games on their shoulders alone. All the Cutler lovers will use the excuse of he is young and the team surrounding him.
Everything I've read points out that he does not spend a lot of time in the film room which is another strike against him if it is true.

These Denver fans will be thanking Daniels and Bowlen 2 or 3 years from now when they are competing strong in the playoffs. Of course some Denver fans are so blind they probably think Cutler was taking them to the super bowl this year.

I was looking on CBS Sportsline and 90% of the posts from Broncos fans were blaming McDaniels for this whole mess. And he is to blame, but Cutler is being ridiculous about this whole thing IMHO.

One guy even had the nerve to say "This is how John Elway got started, refusing to play for the Colts and getting coaches fired." Yeah, but by this point in his career Elways had already been to a Super Bowl too. ;)

(Course once he got them there they got their butts handed to them by the tight Giants defense coached by... who was that guy again?)

The Denver fans are just blind to the truth about their QB. Just like New England fans were blind to Drew Bledsoe and some of his poor decision making. I'm not comparing their character because that would be an insult to a guy that spent a lot of time winning games and being an upstanding community person in NE.

The yards, the high interception numbers,poor decision making at critical times. Their games are eerily similar. Of course I'll give Cutler the edge in scrambling and creating space but I'm sorry I just don't see the hype about the guy.

I was looking on CBS Sportsline and 90% of the posts from Broncos fans were blaming McDaniels for this whole mess. And he is to blame, but Cutler is being ridiculous about this whole thing IMHO.

One guy even had the nerve to say "This is how John Elway got started, refusing to play for the Colts and getting coaches fired." Yeah, but by this point in his career Elways had already been to a Super Bowl too. ;)

(Course once he got them there they got their butts handed to them by the tight Giants defense coached by... who was that guy again?)

Exactly how is McDaniels to blame? This is supposedly over the trade scenarios, so let's take a look, realizing that we don't know which scenario is the correct one:

a.) McDaniels was accurate in saying that he never initiated trade talks, that he initially said no about any Cutler trade, and that he later thought about it and explored it but didn't pull any triggers, while the talks never got close to making a trade happen.

b.) McDaniels was lying, and initiated trade talks without telling Cutler, and then denied this when talking with him.

Now, in scenario "a" and it's minor tweaks, McDaniels should be considered completely beyond reproach in this matter, even if you wanted to say, without actually knowing what's happened, that he's screwed the pooch on the follow up. In scenario "b", one could make the argument that McDaniels should have come clean once the cat was out of the bag, but that wouldn't excuse Cutler's behavior following the discovery of the "lie"

Cutler's panties were already in a bunch before McDaniels was even hired, because he was the darling of the previous regime. More than one report even claims that he asked for a trade before McDaniels was ever hired, although there's been no confirmation about this by Cutler or the team. We know that there have been some false reports filed (or both Cutler AND McDaniels lied), because both Cutler and McDaniels have said that McDaniels did not criticize his game in one of the meetings after a report claimed that he had.

This sort of crap just makes me appreciate players like Brady and Cassel more.

The Denver fans are just blind to the truth about their QB. Just like New England fans were blind to Drew Bledsoe and some of his poor decision making. I'm not comparing their character because that would be an insult to a guy that spent a lot of time winning games and being an upstanding community person in NE.

The yards, the high interception numbers,poor decision making at critical times. Their games are eerily similar. Of course I'll give Cutler the edge in scrambling and creating space but I'm sorry I just don't see the hype about the guy.

Bledsoe was a great quarterback when he had a quality tight end as a safety blanket. The poor guy was stuck throwing to #1 receivers like Vincent Brisby, for crying out loud. that 1995 receiving corps was barely above college level with the exception of Coates.

Exactly how is McDaniels to blame?

In that he talked about possibly trading Cutler but didn't talk to Cutler about it first; Cutler instead heard about it through the media. But that's a minor infraction and Cutler is making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO.

In a way it's like the Spygate thing - Belichick broke a rule, yes, but the media reacted like he was stabbing orphans in the head or something.

In that he talked about possibly trading Cutler but didn't talk to Cutler about it first; Cutler instead heard about it through the media. But that's a minor infraction and Cutler is making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO.

In a way it's like the Spygate thing - Belichick broke a rule, yes, but the media reacted like he was stabbing orphans in the head or something.

Coaches talk about trading players without informing the player all the time. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves, and any player who thinks he needs to be CC'd on every trade offer involving them that comes across the coach's desk needs a serious reality check.

Like I mentioned earlier - Cutler and Romo are very similar, if not the same. To their credits, they don't hold onto the ball too long like Bledsoe. But nonetheless, they take TOO many chances instead of taking what the D gives them.

Coaches talk about trading players without informing the player all the time. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves, and any player who thinks he needs to be CC'd on every trade offer involving them that comes across the coach's desk needs a serious reality check.

Yep - Cutler should have seen the writing on the wall the second McDaniels became coach.

Coaches have their own philosophies - Cutler shouldn't take it personally.

Yep - Cutler should have seen the writing on the wall the second McDaniels became coach.

Coaches have their own philosophies - Cutler shouldn't take it personally.

The thing I've noticed about Cutler is his apparent inability to see that the changed landscape could be an improvement for him. In all my sporting days, I could figure out whether a coach was going to be good for me or not in 1-2 practices/meetings, tops. How Cutler doesn't look at a system that's going to cut down on his brain-dead interceptions and force opponents to use #3 and #4 cbs on guys like Marshall and Royal, and realize that his future's looking great if he'll just SFTU and get with the program just boggles my mind.

I can't figure out if he's the stupidest person ever to attend Vandy, or if he's just being played by his agent.

Agreed. Let's just say Colorado's not a "no-fault state". ;)

I remember when this all started coming out, I heard some NBA prima donna on BSPN Radio saying, "He can't take it personally, it's just part of the business." And I thought if THAT guy is saying don't take it personally, you know Cutler's overreacting. (Maybe it was Allen Iverson?)

Agreed. Let's just say Colorado's not a "no-fault state". ;)

I remember when this all started coming out, I heard some NBA prima donna on BSPN Radio saying, "He can't take it personally, it's just part of the business." And I thought if THAT guy is saying don't take it personally, you know Cutler's overreacting. (Maybe it was Allen Iverson?)

Is it just me, or is Cutler an EERY reminder of Jeff George?

If you think TO is cancer, George was worse b/c if your QUARTERBACK(i.e. the leader, field general, etc) takes on this personality, then your team is really screwed.

The funny thing is that if you listened to Sirus NFL radio today, you would think Cutler is better than Brady (and Tom Jackson wasn't even on) and that all McDaniels had to do is say to Cutler that he was committed to to Cutler beyond this year and Cutler would have been ok and came back into the fold with no problems. You had Solomon Wilcotts and Adam Schein discounting the rumors that Cutler asked for a trade prior to the Cassel thing and saying that Cutler has never had an ego (he was just stating the obvious when he claimed he had a stronger arm than Elway) and never whined or took things personally before (eventhough there were plenty of rumors that the Broncos were almost on suicide watch on the guy in the 2007 season). They even chastied callers and other media people who suggested that Cutler was a complainer. Wilcotts even said it was 70-30 McDaniels fault (and not Bowden or Xander) for the mess.

You can make some arguments that McDaniels handled things wrong, but you would think that Cutler was an innocent victim who was stripped of his lifelong dream to bring the Broncos to the Super Bowl because he is good enough to carry them to multiple Super Bowls on his own.

The funny thing is that if you listened to Sirus NFL radio today, you would think Cutler is better than Brady (and Tom Jackson wasn't even on) and that all McDaniels had to do is say to Cutler that he was committed to to Cutler beyond this year and Cutler would have been ok and came back into the fold with no problems. You had Solomon Wilcotts and Adam Schein discounting the rumors that Cutler asked for a trade prior to the Cassel thing and saying that Cutler has never had an ego (he was just stating the obvious when he claimed he had a stronger arm than Elway) and never whined or took things personally before (eventhough there were plenty of rumors that the Broncos were almost on suicide watch on the guy in the 2007 season). They even chastied callers and other media people who suggested that Cutler was a complainer. Wilcotts even said it was 70-30 McDaniels fault (and not Bowden or Xander) for the mess.

You can make some arguments that McDaniels handled things wrong, but you would think that Cutler was an innocent victim who was stripped of his lifelong dream to bring the Broncos to the Super Bowl because he is good enough to carry them to multiple Super Bowls on his own.

In 2006, everyone was calling Tony Romo the new Tom Brady.

After that, it was Jay Cutler.

Didn't they say the same about Joe Flacco?

What is this with the media's obsession over the new Tom Brady, when they go through a zillion candidates?

In 2006, everyone was calling Tony Romo the new Tom Brady.

After that, it was Jay Cutler.

Didn't they say the same about Joe Flacco?

What is this with the media's obsession over the new Tom Brady, when they go through a zillion candidates?

When you're one of the very best, they always make the comparison. In basketball, Kobe's the "next Jordan" and every talented white guy might be the "next Bird".

Thank you for leting me know that the money for Sirius radio is not worthit

Thank you for leting me know that the money for Sirius radio is not worthit

Don't give up on them yet. Today is a different story. Ross Tucker and Randy Cross are on today and they are piling on Cutler for his immature manner he has handled the situation and Tucker even said "I am still waiting for someone to tell me exactly what McDaniels did wrong". Their stance is this is a business and if McDaniels feels that Cassel is the second coming of Brady or close, it is in the team's best interest in trying to get him. He stated it wasn't neccessarily a statement on Cutler, but more a statement on what McDaniels feels about Cassel. He also felt that Cutler shouldn't have taken it so personally and remember that all players are basically names and numbers on an Excel spreadsheet (implying this is a business).

Cutler will be a jet in about a week, the gm is desparate to win now after two years of being the champs of free agency and sucking on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes