Cute picks - Hate em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Random rant...

Man, I hated these picks when they happened and I hate them more now.

Chad Jackson, Maroney, Thomas, Watson, Mills....

EDIT : Damn it, I hate I can't change the title of my post, it should read Cute picks as in cute and cuddly.

Last edited:
Re: Cut picks - Hate em!

Random rant...

EDIT : Damn it, I hate I can't change the title of my post, it should read Cute picks as in cute and cuddly.

Actually, you should be able to change the title of your post.. Use the advanced editting function

Re: Cut picks - Hate em!

Actually, you should be able to change the title of your post.. Use the advanced editting function

That is great! Thank you very much.

Random rant...

Why do you hate them more now? Because they didn't pan out?

Seems a little weird. As I recall basically everyone on here was excited about Maroney and absolutely thrilled that we traded up for Chad Jackson. Funny how things turn out. Why did you not like these picks at the time?

Random rant...

Ok.. Not sure what you mean by "cute" Picks, but those picks all provided value at the time they were taken. Yes, if you want to use hind-sight, then you can be all hating on it, but the reality is that they were, in the Pats minds, the Best Value Available at the time.

The only thing that 4 of 5 have in common is that they've all had major injuries that you can't predict. Jackson and Watson tore their ACLs. Maroney, I believe, dislocated his shoulder and possibly broke some bones up there, though there is nothing official. And Thomas injured his foot during the Off-season conditioning last year and was IRed. Those sorts of catastrophic injuries can't be predicted. By anyone.

Ok.. Not sure what you mean by "cute" Picks, but those picks all provided value at the time they were taken. Yes, if you want to use hind-sight, then you can be all hating on it, but the reality is that they were, in the Pats minds, the Best Value Available at the time.

I don't understand this either. They are all offensive players. Is it "cute" to pick offensive players or something? :confused:

Maroney, Jackson, and Thomas were all considered good value picks when we selected them, so it wasn't as though we were being "cute" by reaching.

The only thing that 4 of 5 have in common is that they've all had major injuries that you can't predict. Jackson and Watson tore their ACLs. Maroney, I believe, dislocated his shoulder and possibly broke some bones up there, though there is nothing official. And Thomas injured his foot during the Off-season conditioning last year and was IRed. Those sorts of catastrophic injuries can't be predicted. By anyone.

And, I might add, as far as the Thomas pick goes, the Patriots couldn't have known for sure that Miami was going to be stupid enough to offer Welker, TE stat killer extraordinaire, up on a silver platter.

A cute pick is apparently a player most of wanted picked at the time, was injured, and didn't pan out after his injury.

And even this is open to debate. Maroney is our starter or a scrub who should be cut or traded, depending on the poster.

I think Watson and Maroney will show up this year.

Watson can improve just like Meri did with the Jugs and then add that to his much improved blocking and awesome speed, we'll finally have that TE we've been looking for.

Maroney has one more year to make himself valuable for another go round, either with the Pats or some other team. I think he'll take advantage of it. Having those other excellent RB's to watch "get it done" this year must have been a good motivation.

If not this year, he better hone his Bingo calling skills.

Random rant...

I guess I will have to go through them in order, this is based on my own personal feelings and may not be related to reality. I will follow the Herald and shoot from the hip and then fact check later.

Jackson - Hated trading up for a WR, any WR. Hated trading 2 solid picks (a 2nd and 3rd), usually some very good players are available in rounds 2-3. Even back then the Pats could have used more youth at LB and depth a CB.

Maroney - Hate first round RBs unless they are lock down studs. Maroney hardly was special in college, highly replaceable skill set. Look at the list of RBs drafted in 2006, at least 1/2 of them are the same run of the mill average type player that Maroney.

Thomas - At the time the team had Watson & Graham, still with concerns else where they take an undersized TE. In college you can get away with being too small, especially on a power house like Texas, In the NFL it is an instant mismatch.

Mills - 20 picks later the pick basically the same player as Thomas? but with even less of a defined position? wow, value or not at some point the player has to have a spot on the roster. This pick was doomed from the start.

Watson - Sexy pick, because he was so big and so strong and so fast. In the grand scheme he has delivered above average production but again I have thought the defense needed to get younger / faster for years, my focus in the draft has been D-FENCE first. Dansby went next and Bob Sanders went 10 picks later.

I guess I will have to go through them in order, this is based on my own personal feelings and may not be related to reality. I will follow the Herald and shoot from the hip and then fact check later.

Jackson - Hated trading up for a WR, any WR. Hated trading 2 solid picks (a 2nd and 3rd), usually some very good players are available in rounds 2-3. Even back then the Pats could have used more youth at LB and depth a CB.

Maroney - Hate first round RBs unless they are lock down studs. Maroney hardly was special in college, highly replaceable skill set. Look at the list of RBs drafted in 2006, at least 1/2 of them are the same run of the mill average type player that Maroney.

You are using hindsight to cloud your thinking here. Maroney was top of the class because of his age. Addai was the most developed because of his age (5th year senior). Deangelo Williams, many in Carolina were calling a bust prior to the start of this past year.

Thomas - At the time the team had Watson & Graham, still with concerns else where they take an undersized TE. In college you can get away with being too small, especially on a power house like Texas, In the NFL it is an instant mismatch.

Umm.. I have news for you, but Thomas isn't undersized. 6'3 1/8" tall and 252 lbs. Watson is 6'3.5" tall and 258 lbs. Graham, 6'3 1/8" and 248 lbs. Those are all their combine measurements. Not sure where you get that Thomas is undersized because that just isn't the case.

Mills - 20 picks later the pick basically the same player as Thomas? but with even less of a defined position? wow, value or not at some point the player has to have a spot on the roster. This pick was doomed from the start.

Wrong. Mills was considered undersized at 6'1 1/8" and 241 lbs. The Pats had hoped to convert him into an H-back type player ala Chris Cooley. To say he was doomed form the start is silly since there is no way you could predict what he'd do.

Watson - Sexy pick, because he was so big and so strong and so fast. In the grand scheme he has delivered above average production but again I have thought the defense needed to get younger / faster for years, my focus in the draft has been D-FENCE first. Dansby went next and Bob Sanders went 10 picks later.
Lets forget that Watson was a monster in college and that he wasn't a combine warrior. His abilities showed on the field. The fact you are lamenting not drafting Bob Sanders is funny considering how he's been more injured than any of the players you've mentioned for the Pats. As for Dansby, he was the "sexy" pick at the time. BB and Pioli clearly felt he wouldn't be able to handle the Pats 3-4. And please don't attempt to use his succes in the 3-4 Single gap that they run in AZ as proof of his ability to play in the Pats 3-4. They are different systems. There is no telling how he would have turned out.

I thought the Maroney pick was justified considering Dillon slowed down and hit the wall big time. it was like he was running in mud. I member the Jet game he broke through the line that year and was wicked slow.

I never liked the Watson pick as I thought they should have used that pick to upgrade the defense at the time namely at linebacker. I believe it was BB thinking that he could get a gamebreaker or great mismatch. It is ironic he eventually went to three wideouts. I'm sure he also counted on Graham leaving.

I had hopes for Cj but he never got "it".

I'm not really sure how 31 catches in a given year makes Watson a monster in college.

You are using hindsight to cloud your thinking here. Maroney was top of the class because of his age. Addai was the most developed because of his age (5th year senior). Deangelo Williams, many in Carolina were calling a bust prior to the start of this past year.

Umm.. I have news for you, but Thomas isn't undersized. 6'3 1/8" tall and 252 lbs. Watson is 6'3.5" tall and 258 lbs. Graham, 6'3 1/8" and 248 lbs. Those are all their combine measurements. Not sure where you get that Thomas is undersized because that just isn't the case.

Wrong. Mills was considered undersized at 6'1 1/8" and 241 lbs. The Pats had hoped to convert him into an H-back type player ala Chris Cooley. To say he was doomed form the start is silly since there is no way you could predict what he'd do.

Lets forget that Watson was a monster in college and that he wasn't a combine warrior. His abilities showed on the field. The fact you are lamenting not drafting Bob Sanders is funny considering how he's been more injured than any of the players you've mentioned for the Pats. As for Dansby, he was the "sexy" pick at the time. BB and Pioli clearly felt he wouldn't be able to handle the Pats 3-4. And please don't attempt to use his succes in the 3-4 Single gap that they run in AZ as proof of his ability to play in the Pats 3-4. They are different systems. There is no telling how he would have turned out.

I disagree with everything you posted, but that is not the point. I am old school, build teams through defense and the lines. These frilly picks are not my style, I call them girly little cute picks and I don't like them. You can choose to like or dislike any style of picks you choose.

I disagree with everything you posted, but that is not the point. I am old school, build teams through defense and the lines. These frilly picks are not my style, I call them girly little cute picks and I don't like them. You can choose to like or dislike any style of picks you choose.

I don't care what "school" you claim to be from, you are still using hindsight to cloud your judgment on the picks.

I have news for you, BB made it clear with the picks of Graham and Watson that he felt that TEs were important enough to warrant the high pick and that they gave a lot of flexibility because they could block and catch passes. That doesn't make them "frilly" or "girly".

How the hell can you disagree with FACTS? Like the FACT that Watson, Graham and Thomas were all within a half inch of each other and a few lbs of each other? Or the fact that Bob Sanders has been injured more than Maroney? Or the fact that you have absolutely no clue whether Dansby would have been successful in the Patriots line-up?

You can not like the picks all you want. But don't sit there and make up BS lies and claim it to be REASONING. Its not.

the verdict is in... you are not allowed to talk about the past and make any judgements:D

I don't care what "school" you claim to be from, you are still using hindsight to cloud your judgment on the picks.

I have news for you, BB made it clear with the picks of Graham and Watson that he felt that TEs were important enough to warrant the high pick and that they gave a lot of flexibility because they could block and catch passes. That doesn't make them "frilly" or "girly".

How the hell can you disagree with FACTS? Like the FACT that Watson, Graham and Thomas were all within a half inch of each other and a few lbs of each other? Or the fact that Bob Sanders has been injured more than Maroney? Or the fact that you have absolutely no clue whether Dansby would have been successful in the Patriots line-up?

You can not like the picks all you want. But don't sit there and make up BS lies and claim it to be REASONING. Its not.

There are no facts on the internet, just interpretations. Watson & Graham were pretty much the worst first round picks in the BB era (other than Maroney).

Height and Weight combos are nice but bone structure, leverage, leg strength are harder to measure. Maybe Thomas stands up close in size but he is no near as strong as Graham or Watson and his blocking flat out sucks.

Of course I am using hindsight and ever other tool to cloud my judgement, the thread was started with the words "RANT" which means it is half real at best. I stated by opinion, if you don't agree then thats the way the cookie crumbles.

There are no facts on the internet, just interpretations. Watson & Graham were pretty much the worst first round picks in the BB era (other than Maroney).

*ROFLMAO* Keep telling yourself that. It might be true some day.

Height and Weight combos are nice but bone structure, leverage, leg strength are harder to measure. Maybe Thomas stands up close in size but he is no near as strong as Graham or Watson and his blocking flat out sucks.

You claimed he was undersized. The fact is that he's NOT. As for whether he is as strong as Graham or Watson, no one claimed he was. And no one claimed that he was an outstanding blocker. He's average. Contrary to you lying eyes. Nothing you've said support the lie you tried to perpetrate here.

Of course I am using hindsight and ever other tool to cloud my judgement, the thread was started with the words "RANT" which means it is half real at best. I stated by opinion, if you don't agree then thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I don't agree and you just have to accept the reactions you get from posting. At least with my posts, I do my best to support it with actual fact. And, when I misquote someone or am shown correct information, I acknowledge the correction. I sure as hell don't fabricate lies.

There are no facts on the internet, just interpretations.

I nominate this for the absolutely most amusing declarative statement I've yet read on this board, and that's saying something!

Anyway, carry on draft-wizards. I'm still rooting for Ben!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes