PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown watch: Who solidified a spot tonight, who burned bridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
At a quick glance (I watched with a half asleep, gorgeous wife and some grumpy kids - lame combo :D ) I saw some good stuff.

Again despite long drives, I saw some good defensive adjustments. I'm not as worried as many here are.

Slater is solid and I think is a lock, hence Jones (who is not) running back kicks.

Ventrone makes the team, no doubt in my mind.

Lynch is a monster. 8 tackles and 0 fear. I think he and Rodney will each be responsible for some back-up WR's playing for other team this year.

O'Connell looks like Brady's successor to me.

Jacksons: great catching, can't actually walk, though... :p I think he might actually get the year to prove it.

GUYTON: 10 tackles, 1 sack. Did I hear that right? If I did, he NEVER passes waivers. Lock. Buh-Bye Alexander.

BJGE is likely cut and not visiting the practice squad. That said, he looked about even with Maroney.

Lamont Jordan is not only a weapon, he's going to embarrass Al Davis. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Anyway, those are quick hits and I may have mis-diagnosed from a difficult watching position (thank goodness for the pvr) but overall, I saw a lot to like.

Oh and can we all wave goodbye to Mr. Cassel?

What did you guys see? Looking for some thoughtful input, mind you, not "Are you blind? ******ed? We suck. I have no toenails left. Hangover... etc..."

PS. A for effort on the Scott Pioli interview, F- for not saving until the game was over.

Last edited:
Oh and can we all wave goodbye to Mr. Cassel?
Are you joking? He clearly solidified his spot as #2. O'Connell is #3, and Gutierrez is history.

Are you joking? He clearly solidified his spot as #2. O'Connell is #3, and Gutierrez is history.

I don't think either solidified the #2 QB spot. I am betting that both Cassel and Gutierrez could very well be gone if a veteran that Belichick likes becomes available. I think Cassel improved his chances tonight, but it wasn't like he was on fire or anything. He had a few good plays and some bad ones. More good than bad tonight, but not enough to say he is our clear cut #2 QB.

I don't think we have a #2 QB on our roster.

I don't think either solidified the #2 QB spot. I am betting that both Cassel and Gutierrez could very well be gone if a veteran that Belichick likes becomes available. I think Cassel improved his chances tonight, but it wasn't like he was on fire or anything. He had a few good plays and some bad ones. More good than bad tonight, but not enough to say he is our clear cut #2 QB.

I think its O'Connell.

Is that wise?

cassell isnt going anywhere...if he was on the bubble he wouldve played longer than 2 series. BB didnt want his #2 QB to get hurt so he pulled him..thats what i read from today's game.

I think its O'Connell.

Is that wise?

I'd be pretty scared to throw O'C into the fire at least until midseason. Status quo might suggest next year.

I'd be pretty scared to throw O'C into the fire at least until midseason. Status quo might suggest next year.

He is definitely a keeper though.

He'll also never make it through waivers either.

The lad has fast feet and he's feisty, (looks sort of like a very rough Brady but with speed.)

You can tell he wants to win. :)

Zo and Gresh and Tanguay are discussing that at length on the post game. While Zo says a vet would be nice, as Gresh says unless it's Huard who won't be released you're looking at some other teams #4 who got released because they weren't cutting it somewhere else after a full camp or more.

Zolak was a media lemming pre game (they incredibly all universally stopped blogging once Gutierrez came in and did nothing) but he said it was clear after tonight why Cassel has been the #2 all offseason One play he noted was when Jordon and Washington got confused and both went in motion and Cassel had the presence of mind to grab Washington and stop him until Jordan got set, thereby avoiding a penalty and still completing a throw to Washington. That told Zolak his head is in the game and he's a leader - and I guarantee you Bill doesn't miss that stuff. He was all over O'Connell for that TD run because he needed to get down (you could even see Josh mouthing "get down") lest he end up on IR for his rookie season...

Zo remains bothered that Cassel didn't manage a TD in the pre season. Thing is, none of the other Patriot QB's did either - against a first string D...

The lad has fast feet and he's feisty, (looks sort of like a very rough Brady but with speed.)

Yep. I'm pretty sure he becomes the next QB of the Pat's, even though I know it's been said for every QB ever brought it.

This is what I think. I thought tonight made the QB decision much tougher. Though Cassell didn't score, he looked better than he has all preseason & Guz looked terrible. OConnell looked good, but again, against total scrubs.

My gut is it's going to be Cassell & OConnell.

That's exactly what Cassel looked like as a rookie - they all do or they wouldn't stick for even a year..

Zo remains bothered that Cassel didn't manage a TD in the pre season. Thing is, none of the other Patriot QB's did either - against a first string D...

I guess it's O'Connell's fault that he didn't play a first-string D. . . . :rolleyes: ;)

The other two never got a shot to play vs 1st string D's so how could they??

There really is little to debate here ... i agree with your post. Gutierrez could possibly be a #2 for a game or so but if Brady were to go down for more than a few games teams would have enough film to neutralize and embarress him.

O'Connell could well be and will be a starting NFL QB someday ... a good vet to help groom him is very important. McDaniels won't have great time to devote to the #3 guy ... a good veteran could fill in the blanks and help with the process.

Tom is getting cut. He has missed all four freaking games.

Zolak was a media lemming pre game (they incredibly all universally stopped blogging once Gutierrez came in and did nothing) but he said it was clear after tonight why Cassel has been the #2 all offseason ...

I hear you here ... IMO ... because I'm just watching for their talent ... Cassell has the brain but his arm sucks ... it really sucks. If we were a running team then heck ... even Hostetler won a Super Bowl ... but we're not a running team and that's why Cassell needs to go. Can he hit Moss on the deep routes? if he can't then passing to Welker and running the ball become that much harder.

I hear you here ... IMO ... because I'm just watching for their talent ... Cassell has the brain but his arm sucks ... it really sucks. If we were a running team then heck ... even Hostetler won a Super Bowl ... but we're not a running team and that's why Cassell needs to go. Can he hit Moss on the deep routes? if he can't then passing to Welker and running the ball become that much harder.

So which QB at the moment has the best arm (power+accuracy)?

Besides TB, I think it might be O'C or Gutz, honestly. Likely Gutz.

There is nothing wrong with Cassel's arm any more than there ever was with Brady's... We're a team predicated on taking what we're given and protecting the football and playing for field position and winning the turnover battle (which we may need to win by a substantial margin this season...) He can hit Moss on the deep route if he can stay upright long enough to get that throw off. Pray he doesn't ever have to because it would mean this OL finally got Brady killed. ;)

In a league desperate for legitimate starters, you don't get them as backups (unless you know on some level your starter sucks so you overpay a guy who is almost good enough to start who believes he will get to start with you).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes