PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS NEWS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we have nothing but worthless jags behind Welker and Lloyd.

Re: Patriots released QB Brian Hoyer.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to have my doubts about Hoyer's trade potential.
39.gif

Bastard! Beat me to it.
That said I was again 100% wrong predicting what BB would do here. At least I'm consistent in my cut predictions.

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to have my doubts about Hoyer's trade potential.
39.gif

This is why I ignore most of the things Lombardi says about Patriots players. They couldn't even get a late round pick for him??

New England Patriots Backup Brian Hoyer a Better Trade Target Than Kevin Kolb? | Bleacher Report

"If I was still in the league and needed a quarterback, instead of chasing Kolb, I would chase Brian Hoyer of the Patriots," said Lombardi. He continued, "If teams evaluate New England's Week 17 game against Miami, they'd see that Hoyer demonstrates the skills needed to be a starter."

No way its Ebert and Branch gone.

no way!

I don' recall what it is called, but there is a term for the tendency in which we as people tend to overvalue our own possessions. I think that is what happened with many fans of the Patriots in regards to Brian Hoyer over the last year or so, with some speculating that he could be traded for an early draft pick.

In the end the reality was that this was a player with zero NFL starts that didn't really light the world on fire in preseason, didn't have a rocket arm, had a relatively high contract and will be a free agent next year. Put all that together and nobody was willing to part with even a 7th round pick for him.

He seems like a great guy and I wish him well; hopefully he can catch on somewhere else where he has more of an opportunity.

There were some rumors reported by "gray area" websites- don't remember which ones but there were some rumblings that the Pats were putting feelers out for Hoyer. I agree that we overvalue our own players, but objectively, based on the training within the Pats system, I would have thought a 5th-6th round pick. But I guess when you look at the backup QB situation around the NFL, the market just is not there.

I'm guessing they're bringing him back after week 1 so as not to guarantee his salary. But still, what the...?

That is good info. I wasn't that surprised about Hoyer, but I thought for sure Branch was a lock. Without him there is very little depth..

Not so surprising when you see it from their point of view. Its hard to justify 3 roster spots for the QB position on a team where roster spots are so valuable for other. more useful positions. Short term

I'm wagering that Hoyer was probably the better QB if Brady went down tomorrow. However I'm guessing that Mallet was coming on, and his upside is vastly higher. so between the roster spot and $2MM in cap space, the Pats are willing to take the very short term risk, assuming that by mid season, Mallet would have caught up with Hoyer anyways.

This almost makes it a lock that one of the Pats PS players is going to be a QB. Otherwise they are going to have fit Chris Simms a uniform to go along with his shiny new whistle.

Last edited:
The youth movement continues.

If Branch is gone, another shoe is going to drop, or be picked up, as the case may be.....loads of wide receivers being cut all over the league. Waivers and pickups will be interesting.

Ebert was cut (and he's not a veteran), Slater??? as a receiver??

Well he did catch that first long deep pass from Brady the first game of the season in Miami...if that's any consolation

seems they want more youth at wr, keep more def players, maybe more te's. when 3 wr maybe they stick Demps out there, as i saw whenhe played the def really seemd to respect his speed.

Now we have nothing but worthless jags behind Welker and Lloyd.
Maybe to BB they aren't worthless jags. And remember to be a JAG in the NFL is not a bad thing. For every "all pro" there are 15 JAGS.

Maybe they plan to move Hernandez at WR and using Silverstro as the #2TE

can't cut Ebert and Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back