Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cut spending? Ha!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Apr 4, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Obama's plan to buy more public land draws GOP fire - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com

Since we will have to borrow the ~$2 billion, won't that make it China's land?

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,476 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Seems like apples and oranges. The Park Service is proposing to buy 1.8 million acres at an average of just over $1K/acre, which tells me that they're either not interested in buying land that will be developed (that land would be more expensive), or they're lowballing the numbers.

3. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

In this scenario, what is the apple and what is the orange?

4. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,476 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Apples - The government's desire to save land for urban Americans to enjoy (i.e. save land from development).

Oranges - Park Services desire to buy very cheap land that is probably not at all marked for development.

Perhaps, if apples and oranges are not the best term, I would simply say the Park Service recommendation doesn't appear to address the issue of the rapid development of American land.

5. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Ahh. I was more concerned with the idea of increasing spending in that area at a time when they are talking about cutting social services and we are looking at a potential sovereign debt crisis.

6. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +1,476 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Sure, that's a concern. What I'm looking at is some misdirection by whoever was involved in setting up this press release. They're trying to hide the increased costs by appealing to something many Americans can get behind (preservation of open spaces) to funnel money toward something else that won't actually address that concern. If more Americans paid closer attention and thought things through, we probably would demand more accountability from our elected officials; the kind that stops superfluous spending in its tracks.