PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut off your nose to spite your face

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Yes i know know we cant overpay for players, But c'mon now, it seems some fans would rather end the season season with the most cap space then get talent to win a SB. We still have red zone problems, and despite a solid performance from the offense thus far, it wasnt exactly against world beaters. Childress and Caldwell wont set the world on fire. What is this cap space for. i remember hearing Jonathan kraft 2 weeks ago saying how the Pats were not that thrilled with the salary cap boost but they agreed for labor peace. Is it maybe that the Krafts feel spending 20 million more then they did last year too much. When does it end. I though we were not signing Givens because we had to sign branch, now branch may be headed out of town. if they are not paying Free agents and not paying their own, the franchise better keep winning or the perception around the league will quickly become negative.

R_T26 said:
Yes i know know we cant overpay for players, But c'mon now, it seems some fans would rather end the season season with the most cap space then get talent to win a SB. We still have red zone problems, and despite a solid performance from the offense thus far, it wasnt exactly against world beaters. Childress and Caldwell wont set the world on fire. What is this cap space for. i remember hearing Jonathan kraft 2 weeks ago saying how the Pats were not that thrilled with the salary cap boost but they agreed for labor peace. Is it maybe that the Krafts feel spending 20 million more then they did last year too much. When does it end. I though we were not signing Givens because we had to sign branch, now branch may be headed out of town. if they are not paying Free agents and not paying their own, the franchise better keep winning or the perception around the league will quickly become negative.

What exactly would you like them to spend it on?

The fact is we need to start the season with a solid WR corps. Because Brady is so god damn good at spreading the ball, we will never NEED a spectacular WR corps. Even with our great TE's, we need more then Caldwell and Childress. I think we can get by without Branch. We'll be able to get by, but we wont get as far as we'd like.

TNPatsFan said:
What exactly would you like them to spend it on?
A WR would be a very good start :eek:

I think that the Patriots is over any player and if Branch march we must ourselves make but fragmentation hand grenade that never stops to obtain titles, and I am sure that a weather will be good.

R_T26 said:

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you don't know the full story? Like the fact that the Patriots have a 6.66 million bonus to pay to Seymour and they will, most likely, pay that out in the form of a roster bonus this year to give them better cap position in the future.

If it is paid out in the form of a roster bonus, then that is 6.66 million from the 12.5 million under the cap that they are. That would give them LESS than 6 million in free cap space. They need 2-3 million for the #52 & #52 roster spots as well as the 8 practice squadders and the people they've already placed on the IR (Mel Mitchell, Matt Shelton) and any players not in camp (Michael McGrew and Deion Branch). So, that less than 6 million becomes less than 3 million real quick. And the Pats can use that to extend players like Graham, Samuel, or Koppen. Or sign a veteran receiver who gets released.

BB & Pioli are very good with the cap. Give them the credit they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobs My Uncle said:

Please let us know WHICH WR. Kevin Johnson who is rehabbing from injury? Az-Hakim who is supposedly also rehabbing from injury?

Bobs My Uncle said:

Such as? Ricky Proehl? Kevin Johnson? Don't say Branch. They already offered him 5 years/31 million/11 million guaranteed. So they already tried to spend it there and he didn't want it.

The Patriots made what are considered by almost EVERYONE here and in the media and in NFL circles, extremely fair offers to Branch. I don't think they deserve some kind of tarnished rep just b/c #83 and his agent are too stupid to take one of them.

R T26 your remarks are blasphemous and you are hereby excommunicated

from Pats.Com.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. The Pats are trying to make due with

cheap rookie contracts and veterans from other teams willing to play for

minimum salary.

They don't seem to want to sign or re-sign players whose first contract

has expired and are now due big money.

Of course they are good with the cap, but I'll be honest, i would rather have Branch then practice squad players. The teams are gonna get tougher, the games will get tougher and i dont want to have to rely on Caldwell or Childress to make that critical 1st down catch. And the Pats are like 35 million under for next year. Sure they are going to sign koppen, Samual, and graham, just like we couldnt sign woody because andruzzi was coming up, just like we couldnt sign Av, willie, and givens because branch and Seymour was up, now we cant sign branch becuse graham, koppen, and samual are up.
next year it will be we cant sign graham, koppen, and samual, because warren and wilson are coming up. At this rate, enjoy maroney and jackson because they will be gone in 4 years.

TNPatsFan said:
Such as? Ricky Proehl? Kevin Johnson? Don't say Branch. They already offered him 5 years/31 million/11 million guaranteed. So they already tried to spend it there and he didn't want it.
Ummm, David Givens, Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johnson would have been good starting points. Instead, we get Caldwell and Childress :rolleyes:

Bobs My Uncle said:
Ummm, David Givens, Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johnson would have been good starting points. Instead, we get Caldwell and Brown :rolleyes:

You would have paid Givens that much? He has yet to catch a pass in preseason, by the way. I would have liked to have gotten Moulds too. But they had no way to get him. He was traded to the Texans by Buffalo. He was not a free agent. Keyshawn Johnson is not the kind of player BB wants on the team so they didn't go after him.

Yes, keyshawns comments in the offseason that he would love to play with brady if he was willing to make $5 a year. That is the perception right now. Just been a weird offseason, like Seau, the guy has been available all offseason and for some reason they wait until he retires to offer him a contract. The colvin/harrison type signings tend to work much better then the beisel/caldwell signings.

TNPatsFan said:

Where did you see this offer TN? The last offer that was posted was the 3 year extension that would pay Branch close to 20 Million and included 9 million in bonuses?

What evidence do any of you have that the pats are likely to not spend to the cap? Which years during the BB/Pioli era have they been significantly under the cap???

Jimke said:
R T26 your remarks are blasphemous and you are hereby excommunicated

from Pats.Com.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. The Pats are trying to make due with

cheap rookie contracts and veterans from other teams willing to play for

minimum salary.

They don't seem to want to sign or re-sign players whose first contract

has expired and are now due big money.

Jimke -
What about Matt Light? Mike Vrabel? Rosie Colvin? Richard Seymour? Even Tom Brady.

The Patriots re-sign players at prices that the Patriots think they are worth. The problem is that the players have these over-inflated egos and forget that its a team sport and that it took others to make them look good. Branch looks amazing because of Brady. Branch is a #2 with any other QB throwing to him.

DaBruinz said:
Where did you see this offer TN? The last offer that was posted was the 3 year extension that would pay Branch close to 20 Million and included 9 million in bonuses?

PatriotsInsiders.com

I've seen it a couple other places but I don't remember where off the top of my head.

I believe that was the initial offer. If I remember correctly, he declined so they withdrew that one and offered the 3 year deal.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Ummm, David Givens, Eric Moulds, Keyshawn Johnson would have been good starting points. Instead, we get Caldwell and Childress :rolleyes:

David Givens is not worth the contract he got.
Eric Moulds was traded to the Texans if I remember correctly.
How do you know the Patriots didn't attempt to sign Keyshawn? And is Keyshawn worth the 4 years $19 million he got?

I would be surprised if Branch gets an offer like Reggie Wayne,

since the team that gets him also has to give up a draft choice.

Also, Branch simply isn't as good as Reggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back