PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curtis Martin's officially retiring from the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
When CM signed that poison pill contract to play for the hated NY Jets it was a major blow to a Pats franchise in disarray once again when it had just reached SB prominence. Shades of Chuck Fairbanks playoof departure or the Patriots drug scandal after the Bears SB debacle. We seemed cursed every time we rose near success. It was yet another low point for the franchise and its stalwart fans. So, this fan here sheds no tears for a guy deliberately complicit in shafting the team he roots for.

And yes, the Pats were also complicit in that they were tight with Curtis' contract.

He wasn't free to go with his coach is the problem.

It wasn't until Martin and Parcells conspired to scam the Pats organization and us fans by concocting that poison pill contract, that Martin became free to go play with his egotistical coach.

The day Martin chose to sign that illegal contract which allowed him to leave NE was the day that I lost all respect for the jackarse.

Couldn't agree with you more.

One of Bob Kraft's few mistakes was alienating Bill Parcells in the

1996 draft by drafting Terry Glenn over his objections. This ended

up costing Bob the services of both Parcells and Curtis Martin. Bob

thought that the Pats would be better off splitting up the coaching

and general managers jobs.

In the case of Curtis Martin, he suffered an injury his last year with the

team. Andy Wasynczuk deemed the injury was too serious to make a

a large financial investment in Curtis. This is why they did not come to

an agreement before he became a restricted free agent. Andy was happy

with the #1 and #3 draft picks instead of Curtis.

Maybe Martin thought Parcells knew a little more about running a team than Bobby grier did.:rolleyes:

Curtis who?

Just another of the those-who-shall-never-be-mentioned-again-by-name.

Curtis who?

Just another of the those-who-shall-never-be-mentioned-again-by-name.

If Robert Edwards hadn't blown out his knee/leg/career on the sand in Hawaii, who knows if we wouldn't be saying he had a great career as Martin's replacement at a lesser cost than if they had swallowed the poison pill and resigned Martin?? Then again, would all the other events and Lombardi's have followed???
I, for one wish him well in retirement and thank him for his service while he was a Patriot. In his position, I can't say that I would have done anything different. As some have posted in the Asante thread, he provided for his family's future and did what he thought was in his best interests....
Just my $0.02,

If Robert Edwards hadn't blown out his knee/leg/career on the sand in Hawaii, who knows if we wouldn't be saying he had a great career as Martin's replacement at a lesser cost than if they had swallowed the poison pill and resigned Martin?? Then again, would all the other events and Lombardi's have followed???
I, for one wish him well in retirement and thank him for his service while he was a Patriot. In his position, I can't say that I would have done anything different. As some have posted in the Asante thread, he provided for his family's future and did what he thought was in his best interests....
Just my $0.02,

Good post. Too bad his loyalty to Parcells blew up in his face when Parcells dumped him three years later. Parcells cares only about Parcells. Tough lesson to learn for poor Curtis. If he had stayed, he'd have his millions and three rings. Good luck to him in the future. He was fun to watch, even as a Jet.

It's very possible that Kraft did the right thing... because if Parcells was still here, Belichick would be somewhere else.

Something to ponder.

I'm MUCH more happy with Belichick here than Parcells.

And I was a BIG Parcells fan when he was the coach here.

Hell, Belichick might not be here if Tony Simmons caught that pass against the Jets on Monday Night Football at 6-2 in 1999.

I say sign him for a day and let him retire a Patriot, just to f*** with the Jets.

I say sign him for a day and let him retire a Patriot, just to f*** with the Jets.

That will never happen. Martin hates the Patriots with a passion for how they treated him during his final days here. There was rampant speculation regarding the injury he sustained in 1997, leaving many people to wonder how hurt he really was, did he shut himself down knowing at the end of the season the Jets were going to make that convoluted (now illegal) play for him.

I'd like to feel happy for Curtis Martin, but I can't. He should have been a career Patriot, and defecting to the Jets at the worst possible time, and the way he left, left a permanent bad taste. Personally I am thrilled to death that, alongside his HOF career he built down in the Joisey swaps, his old team has risen to prominence as the premier franchise in the NFL with three SB titles that he missed out on.

So Martin got his money, he'll get his bust in Canton, but he will go into Canton with zero rings on his finger. Hope he's happy.

Bob G

Cumar is a good man, unless you are Patiot fan hard to believe that you would not like and respect him.

Well I guess Jim Rome didn't like him also.

I just wish he would of showed up in the playoffs.:(

Lay off the crack, okay? :rolleyes: Curtis Martin was a standup guy during his time in New England. Just because he went to the Jets when he couldn't get a deal done with the Pats doesn't make him a traitor.
He was a traitor and is not a standup guy at all. I do not understand all this man love for this jerk. See thing is I am a Patriot fan so any one who purposely sabotages my team i do not like. Are we forgetting that every time a Pat became a free agent he publicly recruited them for the Jets. We owe him nothing.

So Martin got his money, he'll get his bust in Canton, but he will go into Canton with zero rings on his finger. Hope he's happy.

You know what? He almost certainly is.

He is an EX-Pat.
I don't wish him ill, but I consider him a Jet.
No sentimental attachment to Cmart here.
He had his chance to get us a ring in 96 and he didn't get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes