PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curtis Martin honorary captain vs 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not like this one at all. Martin is a Jet. Period. By all accounts a good dude but he left us in a jam when he bolted to the Rats. There are far better former Patriots choices out there for this kind of thing.

What a hard ass. I'll bet your ancestors failed to appreciate what a brilliant general Benedict Arnold was for the Revolutionaries and you probably still fail to honor his memory just because he later changed sides and played for the Redcoats, who like the Jets also failed to win the big one. :p

Last edited:
To hell with Curtis Martin.

He conspired with Parcells so he could play in NY.The Pats dont need Martin bringing his Jets bad luck to Foxboro.
First thing that came to my mind when I read this was "Nothing personal, it's business." Same goes for BB's famous press conference in NY....LOL

I'm kind of indifferent when it comes to Curtis Martin. Having followed this team for 40 years, Curtis represented something great for us old time pats fans. Curtis and Bledsoe were out steppingstone out of the cellar..laughing stock, Doormats of embarrassment in the NFL. Ya he's a Jet...But did his team ever do anything when he was on the Jets?
I heard that one of the reasons he left was because his mother was upset at the way the Patriots treated Curtis in his contract negotiations. All you did Mom was cost you son a few rings and delayed the Patriots dynasty until the Bledsoe era. Who know's....maybe it was a blessing in disguise that the Pats didn't resign him..I'll cheer for him...because he is a good guy....

Perhaps it is just that I'm fast approaching the age of senior discounts, but in all the debate over 'the greatest one to get away' I was slightly surprised that there was not one mention of Nick Buoniconti. Had to be the worst trade in franchise history.

Buoniconti went on to play 8 more years with the Dolphins, making three Pro Bowls and one first-team All Pro. During that time Miami made the playoffs five times and made it to the Super Bowl three times, winning twice. During the same time span the Pats were 30 games under .500 and didn't make it to the playoffs until Buoniconti's final season.

The Pats got QB Kim Hammond, LB John Bramlett, and a 5th round draft pick (LB Bob Olson) in return. Hammond lasted one season, appearing in three games and going 2-for-6. Bull Bramlett started for two seasons and was team MVP one year, and then was cut. Olson was cut in training camp and never played in the NFL.

Last edited:
Always loved this guy . . . so shocked to find out during his HOF speech that he didn't even necessarily want to play pro ball.

Also for those of you hating on Martin we offered him a 6 year 18m contract which even by the standards of the day was pretty insulting (Bledsoe got his 100m contract a few years later)

If this team had offered him a fair contract I think he would have stayed.

Something about him being an honorary team captain for the Pats just feels wrong. He is a turncoat JEST player to me......worked with the Tuna to get himself to the Rats and to me, I have trouble still seeing the guy as a Pats alumni.....Like you say 8 out of 11 years in the league with the Rats....he should go be the honorary captain for them

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Running back Curtis Martin went into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a New York Jet, as one would expect, considering he played eight of his 11 seasons with them. But today, he returns to Foxborough as one of the Patriots' honorary captains. Martin's presence is tied to the Patriots' celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Any disagreement that Martin is "The Greatest Patriot Who Got Away?"

This will likely be a very split decision between Pats fans and Martin coming back. On the upside none of the Jets fans will like it. :D

Also for those of you hating on Martin we offered him a 6 year 18m contract which even by the standards of the day was pretty insulting (Bledsoe got his 100m contract a few years later)

If this team had offered him a fair contract I think he would have stayed.

Spot on! Don't forget that the Brits made American General Benedict Arnold a much better offer too!

I might be more forgiving if Robert Edwards hadn't blown out his knee. That ended up wasting the prime years of Bledsoe's career with a bunch of has-beens, castoffs and untalented bumblers at RB. With Martin there, Bledsoe was much better protected because he was a legitimate running threat. After that, teams started teeing off and punishing Bledsoe.

I was slightly surprised that there was not one mention of Nick Buoniconti. Had to be the worst trade in franchise history.
Good call. That guy was a primo ILB. As I remember it he wasn't that big but hit hard and had mobility and smarts.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Running back Curtis Martin went into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a New York Jet, as one would expect, considering he played eight of his 11 seasons with them. But today, he returns to Foxborough as one of the Patriots' honorary captains. Martin's presence is tied to the Patriots' celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Any disagreement that Martin is "The Greatest Patriot Who Got Away?"

This will likely be a very split decision between Pats fans and Martin coming back. On the upside none of the Jets fans will like it. :D

I think it would more appropriate to choose someone who actually has a SB ring.

Of course that was his own choice to go to a team that had "0" chances of earning one.

Last edited:
Apologies if already posted, but the Haynes crowd* will be pleased to know that he and Andre Tippett will be sharing in the captain duties :)

As part of the NFL's celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Patriots will have three of their five Pro Football Hall of Famers as honorary captains tonight: running back Curtis Martin, cornerback Mike Haynes and linebacker Andre Tippett. Players will also wear a commemorative patch on their uniforms for the second straight game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4736531/welcome-to-gillette-stadium-32

*he's from before my time as a fan :(

Last edited:
off topic but...I keep waxing my frog and nothing happens...WTF!!!

Good point. If the Patriots are going to have a NY Jet as honorary captain, I nominate Brandon Moore's butt.

Wouldn't it be awkward if some future Pats-Rats game had Brandon Moore being honored by the Rats while his butt is being honored by the Pats?

I'm now expecting Judas Iscariot to be honored at Easter Mass

off topic but...I keep waxing my frog and nothing happens...WTF!!!

Doesn't matter as long as you got a brain in yer head :p
PosTvacSiggy.jpg

Very upsetting. He has no place as an honorary captain on a Patriots football team. Not sure why they went with this...

/rant

He seems like a good guy but would not have been on my list as honorary captain. How about players like Willie McGinest, Steve Grogan, Kevin Faulk, John Hannah, Steve Nelson, Matt Light, Ted Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes