PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Current Patriots team vs the Super Bowl XX champion Chicago Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We don't need experts. We know we're the best ever. And we don't care what anyone else thinks. After all, we posters know much more about football than anyone else in the world, expert perhaps for bill and scotty. sure!

First off, I don't need an NFL expert. NO ONE runs the 46 as a defense anymore. Why? It's unsound against current NFL offenses.

If you need one, the topic was discussed on one of the pregame shows and it was agreed that the Pats would kill them; as pointed out earlier in the thread the Dolphins beat them passing with personnel inferior to this Pats team, not to mention inferior scheme.

We don't need experts. We know we're the best ever. And we don't care what anyone else thinks. After all, we posters know much more about football than anyone else in the world, expert perhaps for bill and scotty. sure!

First off, I don't need an NFL expert. NO ONE runs the 46 as a defense anymore. Why? It's unsound against current NFL offenses.

If you need one, the topic was discussed on one of the pregame shows and it was agreed that the Pats would kill them; as pointed out earlier in the thread the Dolphins beat them passing with personnel inferior to this Pats team, not to mention inferior scheme.

if we can only put the patriots in a time machine right now and send them to January 26, 1986 to replace the patriot team that participated in that particular super bowl... what would be the outcome? would the intensity of so much talent on one field send shockwaves all over the world???

The "46" Defense is a Cover 1, Man pressure defense.

Play Cover 1 against the Pats receivers=100 points.

The Bears offense would get shut down.

Pats 40, Bears 7

I hate these topics.

The Bears "applied the kind of pressure than no one had seen before".

The Bears also were shredded by Marino & the Fins' offense.

The Bears didn't have a stellar offense.

Pats 31, Bears 17

Pats=about 70
Bears=pretty close to 0

The Pats would be much bigger, much faster, and they'd spread out the field on offense and chew up the 46 D.

Really, just about any team in today's NFL would crush the 85-86 Bears. Too much size and speed, and better tactics.

but noone has ever pressured a QB better than the 85 Bearce defense

I'd say Bearce 14 Pats 12

Sure, against a traditional Pro 2 WR offense. Spread them out and rip them. Man coverage exposes inferior athletes.

Face it, kid. You are clueless.

ugh, brady could have 20 extra wideouts to shoot at, it won't matter with mongo, perry and dent breathin down his throat.

get a quote on this topic by a reliable nfl expert, lets see what they have to say

ugh, brady could have 20 extra wideouts to shoot at, it won't matter with mongo, perry and dent breathin down his throat.

Perry wasn't much of a pass rusher and "Mongo" played interior DT at 264 lbs. You're a joke.

Who's the joke now you f'in idiot... if the World Champion Giants were able to do what they did to Tackledummy Tom, imagine what the World Champion Bears would do to his sorry ass... you're the f'n joke who doesn't know a football from a beach ball. The 1972 World Champion Dolphins are still the NFL's only undefeated team and the 1985 World Champion Chicago Bears are still the Greatest Team of All Time. the '07 Chokeriots can only hope for the title of best super bowl runner up of all time

Were the Giants DT's 260 lbs?

You are so goddamn stupid, it's not even worth addressing with you. The Bears scheme and personnel were based around a 46 Defense, which would last one game in todays NFL.

I have forgotten more football than you will ever know. Nice how you come out of the woodwork to gloat and talk tough. What a loser you are. This fall, I'll be coaching football while you sit on you a** and watch on TV.

Beers are on me if you're ever in Chicago :cool2:

Wow, a moron Bears fan and an idiot Chargers fan agree, how touching.

If either one of you sorry ass teams got to the Super Bowl, do you think they would have done better?

If you do, you're even stupider than I thought...

it's too simplistic to just say a passing team kills the 46 defense, b/c I think the Bears would adjust. you also can't compare todays players to 20 years ago, b/c guys today are obv way bigger, faster, stronger, etc. you need to look at them in their era and compare

Including playoffs:

85 Bears- 547 points scored, 208 pts allowed
07 Pats- 655 pts scored, 323 pts allowed

each team was 18-1, but the Bears peaked in the playoffs

Edge, Bears, particularly in Pythagorean Wins

Last edited:
it's too simplistic to just say a passing team kills the 46 defense, b/c I think the Bears would adjust. you also can't compare todays players to 20 years ago, b/c guys today are obv way bigger, faster, stronger, etc. you need to look at them in their era and compare

Including playoffs:

85 Bears- 547 points scored, 208 pts allowed
07 Pats- 655 pts scored, 323 pts allowed

each team was 18-1, but the Bears peaked in the playoffs

Edge, Bears, particularly in Pythagorean Wins

No, it's not too simplistic. Buddy Ryan was notoriously stubborn. His personnel and scheme was based on a Cover 1, pressure defense. He would have stuck with the gameplan as he got ripped. He stuck with the 46 in Philly, but it was never the same.

Buddy Ryan was notoriously stubborn.

kind of reminds me of a coach from last night :(

and still, I don't think matching the teams up on paper head to head is the best way to compare, b/c the game has changed so much.

I think it's just better to look at how 1 team did in their era and compare it to how another team did in another era.

and objectively looking at it, the Bears 18-1 has to look a bit better than ours.

kind of reminds me of a coach from last night :(

and still, I don't think matching the teams up on paper head to head is the best way to compare, b/c the game has changed so much.

I think it's just better to look at how 1 team did in their era and compare it to how another team did in another era.

and objectively looking at it, the Bears 18-1 has to look a bit better than ours.

I don't know how much input BB has into the offensive playcalling. I didn't see any draws underneath Osi, or protection adjustments. McDaniel was probably in over his head.

Don't forget, the Bears played a very overmatched and intimidated Pats team in that Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes