PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Current Cap status

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will probably never figure out why people are so reluctant to keep the #7 overall pick just because of his cap number.

I won't either. In the grand scheme of things, whoever it is won't be doing that much damage to the Cap, and I trust BB and SP enough to take the right person if they keep the pick. No, not all thier picks work out, but enough of them do that it won't bother me if they keep the pick.

I was looking at Miguel's numbers on www.patscap.com and I wouldn't be surprised if some veteran players are cut or asked to re-negotiate.

I will probably never figure out why people are so reluctant to keep the #7 overall pick just because of his cap number.

I think its more a risk/reward situation. The higher the draft choice, the greater the risk, and also the higher potential for reward. Blow it on choice 30, and it hurts, but not as much as blowing it on a higher pick.

I think we're ok with what's out there. Let's sign T.Law and Seward. Have enough room for both. I can see 3-4 rookies making our defense next year. Not starting. But, providing depth.
Offense is pretty set.

Some other numbers from Reiss Blog:

A look at three recent contracts signed by players with the Patriots:

# WR Jabar Gaffney's contract is a one-year package with a $700,000 base salary. He received a $500,000 signing bonus as part of the deal, as well as a $75,000 workout bonus. Gaffney's salary cap charge is $1.281 million.

# CB Lewis Sanders signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $730,000. He received a $40,000 signing bonus. The contract qualifies for the veteran minimum benefit, meaning his salary cap charge is $491,000.

# S Tank Williams signed a one-year contract with a base salary of $605,000. He did not receive a signing bonus. There is a $40,000 workout bonus as part of the deal. The contract qualifies for the veteran minimum benefit, meaning his salary cap charge is $491,000.

I won't either. In the grand scheme of things, whoever it is won't be doing that much damage to the Cap, and I trust BB and SP enough to take the right person if they keep the pick. No, not all thier picks work out, but enough of them do that it won't bother me if they keep the pick.

The Pats don't get a shot this early in the draft very often. Take

advantage and get the best player on the board other than a

quarterback.

Great explanation. Thanks Bro.

Sorry for the misinformation about the quote, I just remembered the 22 mill. I also realized that since the statement was made, we seemingly didn't take a $13.2 million cap hit.

not that it really matters, another website said that the Patriots entered free agency 17.9 million under the cap.

One website reported that the Patriots were under their adjusted cap by
17,900,000 at 12:01 AM 2/29.

Since then the Patriots freed up in cap space
2,000,000 with the loss of Kyle Brady.

The Patriots lost cap space with the signings/resignings
(836,720) Washington
(1,606,720) Bruschi
(886,720) Paxton
(6,006,720) Moss
(819,220) Webster
(764,220) Aiken
(491,720) Sanders
(491,720) Williams
(1,281,720) Gaffney

The Top 51 effect removed 3 $295,000 salaries and 4 $370,000 salaries from the Top 51 list lowering the net effect of the above 9 signings by 2,365,000.

2,000,000 Brady
(836,720) Washington
(1,606,720) Bruschi
(886,720) Paxton
(6,006,720) moss
(819,220) Webster
(764,220) Aiken
(491,720) Sanders
(491,720) Williams
(1,281,720) Gaffney
2,365,000 Top 51 effect

equals to
9,079,520 in current cap space.

Yes, I know the numbers on my cap page say that the Pats are under the cap by $10 million but I believe that they are off because of unreported LTBEs.

Implying that it is somehow my fault that you posted incorrect information. Well, the 2.04 is the cap number that is on the USAToday salary database which is a site that I also linked to.

Miguel -
I wasn't IMPLYING anything. I was just letting you know where I grabbed the number from. That's all. And I do know that the link has since been updated since I grabbed it and I was acknowledging that I was using old data.

Why is it that you take ever comment so damn negatively?

I have said on this board that Peterson's 2007 cap hit was $2.04 million and I have previously linked to the Peterson's info on the USAToday database

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...wthread.php?t=76963&highlight=peterson&page=2

IMHO, people are reluctant to keep the #7 pick because of how expensive the contract COULD end up being. Also, that many people don't see the prospects who could be remaining as being worth the investment of the #7 pick. Most people think that a trade down is in the Pats best interests because they can still get a high quality player, add another player in the 2nd round, and still not spend as much money cap wise. Thereby, helping the team get younger and be more competitive.

FWIW - the max that the rookie pool can go up in a year is 5%. IIRC, it went up 2.5% last year.

2,040,000 * 1.05 = $2,142,000

Did Reggie Bush's contract in 2006 stay in line with annual contract increases? Also, wouldn't AP receive a slightly different contract than a DE, or QB taken in the same spot?

Miguel said:
9,079,520 in current cap space.

That looks OK to me especially given we haven't waded into restructures yet, and a Brady restructure alone (unless they plan to extend him before that CBA opt out vote which would have the same effect) could free up anywhere from a couple of million (just converting his roster bonus) to close to $5M (converting the most of his salary as well). And while that would freak some out over his then $17M cap hit in 2009, 2010 would only be up to $12.5M and a 2009 extension would make that all moot anyway.

This #7 pick represents value whether they draft for the kind of talent they will seldom have access to given how competitive this team has become or flip it for additional picks. I leave it to Belioli to decide which works best for their purposes talent, value, cap or any other way wise...

Did Reggie Bush's contract in 2006 stay in line with annual contract increases?

Reggie' 2006 cap number was 2,700,000
Ronnie Brown's cap number was 2,696,535

So, my answer was yes.

Also, wouldn't AP receive a slightly different contract than a DE, or QB taken in the same spot?

Yes but you projected a 10% increase in the 1st year cap number for the 7th overall pick when the cap went up 6.97% and the most that the rookie pool can increase is 5%.

No 2007 1st round pick received a 10% increase in 1st year cap number over the player chosen in the same spot in the 2006 draft.

see
http://www.patscap.com/1stround.gif

Why are you expecting a 10% increase over AP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes