PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Current Buffalo Bill rookie was cheap shot artist in college

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
OT Brad Butler, who delivered one of the worst cheap shots ever while playing for Virginia, is now the back up right tackle of the Bills. Check this out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=217Hs_Mgw_Q

Last edited:
Your attempt at making a subject of game relevance during Branch/Chayut Week was feeble. Please report to either the Sick of Branch thread or the Love You Want You Back Branch thread. You have 24 hours to comply

Actually, thanks for the link

Whether a guy would try to get away with stuff on the pro level, that takes a whole different level of balls. Maybe he should try and get himself signed with the Steelers once he becomes a free agent. I for one am not worried about it. He has to get past the 5 levels of Visa Security first.

We better take care of that guy.

Surprised he wasn't picked up by the Jets to replace Mawae.:bricks:

Watched that as it happened a year ago ... and reported the outrage here.
Noted that a week or so later ... while Kiwanuka was sidelined from the vicious cheap shot ...
stinking Butler told a local (Virginia) reporter airily that, "I've put all that behind me" !
I wrote to both UVA and the ACC, requesting to be informed of the punitive measure meted out.
None were. Nor was i notified.

In April, noticed that dear Brad was drafted by the Bills.
But, since then, i've forgotten to follow up. (Many lesser atrocities in the world may have distracted me.)

So he made the roster, did he?
Well ... rot him.
May someone do unto him as he hath done unto others.

He doesn't have to get past the 5 Metaphors, he's a OT. I'd love to see him try that crap at the pro level, probably would be suspended for a game or two.

Right on to the guy trying to defend his teammate. If anyone saw that happen to one of their teammates I'm sure they would do the same. I remember seeing that hit and being outraged. To me that's as bad as the Marcus Vick stomping on a guys leg hit.

PonyExpress said:
OT Brad Butler, who delivered one of the worst cheap shots ever while playing for Virginia, is now the back up right tackle of the Bills. Check this out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=217Hs_Mgw_Q

No, he wasn't. He was a good player with great ethics who made one mistake and was extremely remorseful about it. He didn't have another single event like this or nearly like this his entire career.

How you get to "artist" out of a single play is remarkable.

I remember that. My dad was flipping out when it happened.

betterthanthealternative said:
... [Butler] was extremely remorseful about it.

That is false.

For the following week i scanned the ACC website and area papers, looking for anything like "remorse" or penance. There was none.

As stated above, the closest Butler came was breezily asserting that he had "put all that behind me".

A person who can commit even a single act like that ... tells me all i need or want to know about him.

flutie2phelan said:
That is false.

For the following week i scanned the ACC website and area papers, looking for anything like "remorse" or penance. There was none.

As stated above, the closest Butler came was breezily asserting that he had "put all that behind me".

A person who can commit even a single act like that ... tells me all i need or want to know about him.

Youtube doesn't work while I'm at work, could you fill me in on what he did? Stupid Firewall blocks streaming video.

No, he wasn't. He was a good player with great ethics who made one mistake and was extremely remorseful about it. He didn't have another single event like this or nearly like this his entire career.

How you get to "artist" out of a single play is remarkable.

Let me frame this for you.

Kiwanuka already had a bad leg.

The play was over and Kiwi was standing there like a statue.

If you look at the video, not only did he go after the bad leg but there was a pause before he did it. He looked down, saw that leg, and went after it.

He's a douchebag. Great ethics? Why because this is the first time he was caught doing something bad? Or because University of Virginia ballwashers cover for their heroes.

There is not one good and decent person, no matter how competitive that would pull crap like that.

Don't protect idiots like this. It reflects poorly on you.

Last edited:
No, he wasn't. He was a good player with great ethics who made one mistake and was extremely remorseful about it. .

Examples? Give us a quote from the 'remorseful and highly ethical' Mr. Butler.

Kiwanuka had an obviously bad leg before the play. As you can see, the TV cameras even were focusing on it before the snap. And then this guy rolls into a cut block on said leg AFTER the play. And you say he had "great ethics" and made "one mistake"???

I have news for ya, buddy. A mistake is turning the wrong way or forgetting to do something. That was a premeditated cut of the correct injured leg of the star of the opposing team AFTER a play was whistled over. I guess to you, 9/11 was just a horrible coincidence of poor airplane navigation?

That was as much of an "oops" as Marcus Vick stepping on that kid last year. Correction, Butler's was far worse because it targeted a specific injured body part, whereas Vick's was just a mindless spur of the moment stupidity.

Butler is a thug.

Furthermore, UVA showed off to the world exactly what it stands for by not disciplining their student.

Wow. That's as cheap a shot as I've ever seen. No ethical person would do something like that. Announcers are usually loathe to call out someone, but the announcers were all over that guy.

I'd guess someone would have to be running through the Bills bench for this guy to do anything this week, but ... that really is stunning.

edit: Butler was suspended for one game by UVA after a firestorm of national criticism. There was an article in the Cavalier Daily about it. Butler was quoted:

"I've never been one to play outside of the rules," Butler said in his prepared statement. "I was not trying to hurt Mathias Kiwanuka. I was engaged in blocking him, because he is the type of player who makes plays all over the field. I regret this event occurred and have put the incident behind me."

That's complete bullsh*t. There is no remorse or apology there. It's the most weasely statement of "regret" I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of politicians' statements of regret. He basically says he was justified and regrets the "event occurred," which really means he regrets all the attention it got.

Oh, I'm gonna root against that guy forever.

edit2: shmessy posted the statement while I was typing ... I think we're all agreed that's a terrible statement ...

Last edited:
Regarding my initial condemnation of UVA, I stand corrected:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101005aau.html

The statements by Coach Groh and the UVA AD are sufficient and they did suspend him for the next game against FSU.

The statement by Brad Butler, however, is pathetic:

"I've never been one to play outside of the rules. I was not trying to hurt Mathias Kiwanuka. I was engaged in blocking him because he is the type of player who makes plays all over the field. I regret this event occurred and have put the incident behind me."
_______

That's textbook linguistic deflection - - using words like "I regret THIS EVENT occured".

Kiddo, "the event" didn't just "occur". YOU did the action.

That's on the same level with people who issue legalese apologies saying "I regret if anyone was offended by......" -- instead of just saying "I did wrong and I'm sorry".

Look gang, I know the kid a little, ok? I spoke with his family a couple weeks after the game.

Brad lost his cool in the heat of an intense battle. He admits it. He's never done anything like that in his entire life prior or since. He was incredibly remorseful. He apologized personally to the BC player and coaches. He was depressed about it for weeks, and still embarrassed.

Check the guy's history and references from the rest of his life, and you'll find high character throughout. To suggest that his entire character is measured through a single emotional event is nuts, and totally unfair.

But I'm preaching to deaf ears, I suspect. Many of you have an agenda on this that shapes your view, given the intense emotionallity in your responses here. It's just football after all - adults playing a kids' game!

Look gang, I know the kid a little, ok? I spoke with his family a couple weeks after the game.

Brad lost his cool in the heat of an intense battle. He admits it. He's never done anything like that in his entire life prior or since. He was incredibly remorseful. He apologized personally to the BC player and coaches. He was depressed about it for weeks, and still embarrassed.

Check the guy's history and references from the rest of his life, and you'll find high character throughout. To suggest that his entire character is measured through a single emotional event is nuts, and totally unfair.

But I'm preaching to deaf ears, I suspect. Many of you have an agenda on this that shapes your view, given the intense emotionallity in your responses here. It's just football after all - adults playing a kids' game!

On your say-so ...
i, at least,
will stop talking about it.

I am all for giving kids second chances. But there's no denying that was the dirtiest hit I've ever seen. Every thing else is just window dressing. So yeah, give him a second chance, he was really sorry, he comes from a good family... Whatever. Kiwanuka might not have gotten up from that hit and his career and livelihood would have been destroyed. So the "kids game" has real repercussions. When 300 lb men try to inflict injury there's nothing "kid" about it. Forgive me if I judge people on their actions more than their words.

Last edited:

Let me point out that the fact that you somehow know this guy provides YOU an agenda. I guarantee that if you didn't, you'd be as disgusted as most people on here.

As far as adults playing a kids game, what if Kiwanuka's knee was blown out beyond repair and his opportunity for a very comfortable livelihood was destroyed?

Oops sorry! Brad just had a lapse in judgement.

Garbage.

Give me a break. He PASUED and looked down on him limping and THEN did his cheap shot. I honestly dont care if he was your best friend. Saying i am putting it behind me is not being sorry for a cheap shot.

OK, I'll stop talking about it, as well. But a hit like that deserves a *public* statement taking responsibility. I think it's wrong not to do that. I'll still not root for him unless and until I hear some public apology for his action. It won't matter to him, of course, if I root for him or not, but I just can't get over something so vicious when he can't be up front enough to publicly take responsibility.

As for any "agenda," I can only speak for me, but why would I have any "agenda" against him? I'd never heard of him before today. I have no agenda against any other player on the Bills or in the NFL, really. If he were a Patriot, I'd be equally shocked by that hit. That's easily the dirtiest hit I've ever seen. It's not "just football." There's a line when football becomes something ugly, something vicious and cruel. That hit crossed that line. And, since I like watching football and the sport would be ruined for me if I saw hits like that too often, I condemn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back