PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran thinks Mallet will be cut or traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're quite right, I had a brain freeze on Carr. Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled St. Louis fantasies!

Hey at least they're not saying a first in this version of fantasy football.

The value is in being able to keep a player that may actually help you win a game some time during the season over a QB who won't (if JAG has passed him on the depth chart) play any meaningful snaps.

You probably posted before I said "I wouldn't mind grop being #2. It's more about not having all the responsibility on your shoulders. I don't want any of the QBs making those decision. The best taking care of the ball QB of all time, TFB, has an occasional game (usually against Denver) where he just makes crap decisions and throws interceptions.

I've seen QBs thrown in due to injury have really rough games, get replaced by #3, then come back to play much better. It's an extremely high pressure job and knowing it's not all on you yet prevents those panic mode short cuts that develop into bad habits that last. Confidence and focus take time after learning and feeling secure.

This guy is being groomed to be the franchise. Why would keeping a marginal NFL player that might not even make the practice squad, take precedence over his development?

"Announced", no idea.
All teams MUST be down to 75 by 4 PM league rules.

To add to this: the cutdown must be reported to the league by 4pm, but there is no requirement for making this information public, so as you say, anyone's best guess. Not sure BB would be in a hurry to get to the podium unless facing a stiff fine for not doing so.

If the Patriots intend to cut Mallett, it won't be this week. The last thing the Patriots want is for Brady to be the backup to Garoppolo against the Giants. :eek:

Agreed -- the cuts this week should be more than vet min guys who have no chance in hell of making the Week 1 53 while saving the guys who have rookie contracts to be cut after Week 4 of the pre-season. Insurance against injuries as the carrying cost of an UDFA who blew out his knee next week is less than a vested vet.

If the Patriots intend to cut Mallett, it won't be this week. The last thing the Patriots want is for Brady to be the backup to Garoppolo against the Giants. :eek:

One possible explanation is the Patriots already have a deal in place and have it becoming official on Friday. It would explain why JimmyG is playing the whole game Thursday night, and still allows Mallett to be there in case something unforseen happens during the game.

Yes fester, many guys playing Thursday are zombies. Already "cut" by the coaches but needed for Thurs only to fill out a roster to keep vets off the field and away from possible bumps bruises and worse

Yes fester, many guys playing Thursday are zombies. Already "cut" by the coaches but needed for Thurs only to fill out a roster to keep vets off the field and away from possible bumps bruises and worse

Easy work. Just what a developmental QB needs

Does anyone have an idea what time todays cuts will be announced?

Cuts have to be turned in by 4PM EST. So, if they aren't out before then, I'd expect them to be out within 15 minutes of that with the reporters the way they are.

St. Louis kind of are in an interesting position.

They are done for this season I believe, good chances they were done this season even with Bustford, now it's just official.

They are probably done with Bradford forever as well, unless they are incredibly stupid. They can't select a QB right now because the draft is past, and the QB they did draft is more a future project. Even if they had drafted one of the top QB's this year, it's not a guarantee he would start, looks like from this class only Bortles will start, and he's no sure thing. Waiting for next year's draft or FA and still have the guy acclimated for another season it's too much time for a franchise that have been drafting high in the past years and have the players in place for a run NOW.

So instead of bust, they would be better if they use this year to evaluate a lot of things and do an official audition on a QB for a full season, Mallet or Glennon, maybe Cousins, these are the guys ready for the job. Sanchez as I said is an important piece on the Eagles roster and also he would be expensive, all these guys are on rookie contracts.

Cousins and Glennon have real NFL experience, but it would be difficult to get them, Redskins need Cousins due to RG3 injuries and eventually bad play, and Tampa is not giving up easy on Glennon, McCown is a question mark there.

Mallet is a one year rental on a cheap rookie contract. They would not be even tied to him, in case he stinks, dump him. If he does well, then the bad thing is you have to pay him, but then you found a QB damn it. Drafting QB's have been a crap shot lately, even Andrew Luck, the most sure thing after Manning, is not living up to the expectations people had on him. If you have a chance to transform a season that was severely affected before week one in a season that is going to give you a chance in finding a QB they have to do it. Hill can be an OK backup but they would be wasting a precious time giving him this shot. They have the pieces in place for a 5 years window, Hill likely won't be playing in NFL 2 years from now, I understand the right now mentality but the Rams should think in the 2015/2016 season instead.

I'd like to see Mallett to the Rams for Ethan Westbrooks

where are Rams on waiver wire? #2? I would just wait and see if Texans blink. I was among the foolish who thought he was going there before the draft.

Of course that doesn't mean they didn't want him. This was probably a rare case of BB telling the truth when he said Mallet wasn't getting traded. There was nobody else behind Brady.

I believe the Rams only have like $2m in cap space, so if they want a QB they have to trade for a really cheap one, or wait for one to be released. But with the Texans lurking with their #1 waiver priority, it's not really safe to count on just waiting for Mallett to be cut, since Houston would probably claim him. So, if they do want another QB (even if they start Hill, what do they have behind him?) that they can afford (pretty much just Cousins or Mallett), but don't want to run the risk of playing the waivers game, a trade is their only option. I don't think BB will ask much either. Wouldn't expect more than a conditional 5th, if that.

where are Rams on waiver wire? #2? I would just wait and see if Texans blink. I was among the foolish who thought he was going there before the draft.

Of course that doesn't mean they didn't want him. This was probably a rare case of BB telling the truth when he said Mallet wasn't getting traded. There was nobody else behind Brady.

I presume you are going by the draft order. The Rams had the Redskins' 2nd pick.

The value is in being able to keep a player that may actually help you win a game some time during the season over a QB who won't (if JAG has passed him on the depth chart) play any meaningful snaps.

We can suit up 45 and we're talking about the 53rd player. Most likely he's inactive almost, if not every game. someone on the practice squad, waiver wire or even a third quarterback has about as much chance of "winning you a game."

Last edited:
... Rams... But with the Texans lurking with their #1 waiver priority, it's not really safe to count on just waiting for Mallett to be cut, since Houston would probably claim him. ... , a trade is their only option. I don't think BB will ask much either. Wouldn't expect more than a conditional 5th, if that.

Everyone seems to think that IF the Texans WANTED Mallett, they would just wait-lurk. I don't see that. If they actually want him they are equally motivated to trade ahead of cut-down time just as well as any team at the bottom of the waiver wire.

So they are first in-line; that doesnt help if JUST ONE of the 30 other teams is willing to give the Pats a pick (even a conditional one). So if they truly had interest, they would be better off locking him up. Now, if BB was silly enough to give them some promise for a chance to match any other offer; then they could sit back and wait. I dont think BB would do that, even for a homie.

Regardless, I still think NE carries 3 QBs (but hell, I didnt see the Mankins trade coming)

I'm still sticking by my original position that New England will be keeping all 3 QB's this year. Mallet's contract is sufficiently low enough in dollars to not worry about savings, especially with the cap relief we get from the Mankins deal.

There have been several years this past 15 where the Patriots have kept 3 QB's, and I see this as one of them. My reasons? Although Jimmy G looks like the heir apparent, there's still not a lot of footage of him playing with the 1st string against the other team's 1st string. Better to have him in the 3rd position and learn what it's like while watching TFB, and also have a year's worth of time to fully grasp the playbook, and the offensive philosophy that Coach has.

The Hammah is good enough to win a few games, or to at least NOT lose them if Brady is out for any length of time. He can be the #2 for now, let Jimmy G learn the ropes, and then see what happens this next year.

Besides, if Mallet were to be traded to the Rams, it would've happened already. Coach isn't one to hesitate where he sees a move like that being of some benefit to the team, and the Rams would've wanted him in camp NOW so as to get acclimated to their system.

So, I still believe we keep 3 QB's this year. Mallet gets to walk next year, Jimmy G moves up a slot in the QB heirarchy, and then who knows? Perhaps he IS the heir apparent to TFB.

But that's how I see this playing out. I could, of course, be wrong, but reading the tea leaves from where I sit, I'm willing to take that chance. :)

Unless Jimmy G gets injured this week, I predict Mallet won't be on the 53 to begin the season. With Brady entrenched, the #3 QB offers 0% value during the season. Teams with crappy QBs load their roster with QB options...and that's not NE. An extra roster spot for a non QB may allow NE in-house solutions instead of mid season waiver/FA JAGs incapable of making the rosters of the worst teams in the league. In the Brady era, has a #3 taken even a snap, besides Brady? But during this era, NE is forever ever grabbing JAGs off the wood pile midseason....TE and DT last year.

Just my 2 cents as a keyboard GM................hell.............I still think Ridley may get moved next week thanks to Reiss' innuendos :)

PS....did anyone listen to Felger/Maz yesterday.....Perillo/Maz had some damning stats regarding Ridleys fumble rate and lack of big plays...when compared to the top 47 RBs. Bottom 45 in each category. No wonder Reiss is getting vibes from inside the stad

Ridley's reality doesn't match perception | Patriots Football Weekly Blog | Patriots.com

Curran is a fool

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye