PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Patriots have deep-seated, and vexing, problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easiest first fix - take inside draw out of the shotgun to Vereen out of the playbook (I'm sure there is a ton of support for that on this board).

Or at least do me the courtesy of replacing my television, as the next delayed hand-off to Vereen I see on 3rd down I'm going to throw my remote through the screen.

I think with the right adjustments we can still have an elite defense. But, there's a severe lack of talent problem on the offense. How in the world could Dobson and KT regress to the point where they can't even get on the field over Danny Phantomdola? I mean James White and Brandon Bolden were active so...

What if the inner problem is Brady ... the person ... not so much the player.

What if the team has tired of revolving around Brady and putting up with his moods and madness.

When Brady went to the bench the team almost seemed like they were playing for fun for a change.

At some point it has to be fun ... teams that have fun tend to win ... not so uptight.

We see the Brady in front of the mic ... what is the Brady on the team?

The answer is last year was total smoke and mirrors, we were running on fumes and easily could have been 8-8. This shouldnt be a shock to anyone we had like 3 or 4 miracle wins we had no business winning. We had no chance in that AFC Championship game and it showed.

Actually, they won with heart and mental toughness last year after all of the injuries, plus BB made some adjustments after Gronk went down again.

This year, we have none of that, and BB has done none of that.

What if the team has tired of revolving around Brady and putting up with his moods and madness.

When Brady went to the bench the team almost seemed like they were playing for fun for a change.

At some point it has to be fun ... teams that have fun tend to win ... not so uptight.

Brady is the guy that wants to win. Brady derives his fun from carving up defenses and winning. Brady's fun is having a perfect working offense that runs like a well oiled machine. Brady is the guy that hates to lose because he knows they can win.

Honestly, is the team tired of winning? Seriously, because you win with Tom Brady. Why haven't the coaches been making good game plans. Why are the utilizing players wrong. Their are internal problems between the staff and players. But why?

Icy this could very well be a message from bb to Tom. But how do you get mad at Tom Brady for wanting to win. That's all he wants to do. That's what you have made this whole 15 years with Tom to do. Its a hard business, but isn't the business to win?

When you come to the patriots, you come to put in the work to win. That's how it's always been. Now, in the midst of your last few years with the goat QB you want to make it more fun, while he wants to win.

Icy this could very well be a message from bb to Tom. But how do you get mad at Tom Brady for wanting to win. That's all he wants to do. That's what you have made this whole 15 years with Tom to do. Its a hard business, but isn't the business to win?
Of course it is but if players are tired of Brady which in the end will be easier to change?

maybe that high five video was the soothsayer ........... sometimes change is needed just for the sake of change.

Of course it is but if players are tired of Brady which in the end will be easier to change?

maybe that high five video was the soothsayer ...........

Icy it may be easier to remove Tom from the equation but you have to keep him until 2017 or he will kill the cap for the pats. You can't take him out yet

What if Brady is a little perturbed that he is 37 years old and has a patchwork offensive line to protect him. I wasn't a big mankins fan but if your going to trade him wouldn't it be prudent to have a REAL replacement for him instead of an undrafted free agent thats played ball for only two years?

Maybe hes tired of having to work mostly rookies and jag wide outs for the last five years or so.

How about this, brady might be a little upset for taking all those restructured deals only to be surrounded with all those afore mentioned jags instead of quality players.

Last edited:

maybe that high five video was the soothsayer ........... sometimes change is needed just for the sake of change.
I think it shows more the make up of the team. They are all kids . Brady is the player who is there for 15 yrs now and they revere him. He doesnt have matt light or welker or mankins who can talk to him as friend or just tell him straight. Even from the defense other than vince there is nobody who can talk to brady. The lack of leadership options on offense is weighing in on Tom.

I think it shows more the make up of the team. They are all kids . Brady is the player who is there for 15 yrs now and they revere him. He doesnt have matt light or welker or mankins who can talk to him as friend or just tell him straight. Even from the defense other than vince there is nobody who can talk to brady. The lack of leadership options on offense is weighing in on Tom.

This very could be true. There are no leaders on offense besides Tom IMO. There is no other leaders besides Vince and I don't know if Vince is that active as a leader. This team needs a bruschi, Harrison Etc type leader. This team is torn too many ways and needs to get the tension out.

I think with the right adjustments we can still have an elite defense. But, there's a severe lack of talent problem on the offense. How in the world could Dobson and KT regress to the point where they can't even get on the field over Danny Phantomdola? I mean James White and Brandon Bolden were active so...

Warning: total speculation (in my post)

I'm not so sure Dobson & Thompkins being inactive was much about them being punished or regressing or whatever. It may not have been entirely about them. It could have been just a numbers game and the coaches wanted to get all hands on deck to protect Brady. And perhaps , since they knew Stork and Flemming were starting, and they may have been expecting DeGugliemo to play mix-and-match with the line*, so they hoped to get the running game going to take some pass rush away from Brady (with whatever RB turned out to have the hot hand).

But then the defense didn't keep to the script. They had some pretty good stretches in prior weeks, but last night went out and laid an egg. So we had to try to play catch up. Which resulted in the total disconnect between the game plan and the guys they chose to de-activate.

*In my dream scenario I hope they told DeGugliemo "Get that O-line crap fixed, pronto, or else" and they gave him a night to just tinker as long as it didn't get Brady killed.

I think what most people, including me, don't understand is how the offense could be worse than last year. The simple explanation is the OL is just plain worse. Three new guys and two other guys that have regressed badly. Last year, Brady had to be 100% accurate on every pass for anything good to come from the offense. This year, he is at 99% and this is just not good enough.

Last nights loss is all on the defense. The just plain laid an egg. This was like some of the pre-season games a few years ago where the pats would be getting killed and BB would keep all the starters in.

Last edited:
Generally solid play by starters during the preseason feels like it was 2 years ago.

yeah...the O line was shaping up and in good form. I went to the preseason games. Then they decide to rip the heart of the O line out for future considerations. Rebuilding teams do this, not teams with playoff aspirations.Mankins was the one the others looked to, the one Brady trusted to run the 3rd and short behind, the one who kept a sense of continuity to the changing lineup the past few seasons.

In hindsight....this move looks like a loser.

yeah...the O line was shaping up and in good form. I went to the preseason games. Then they decide to rip the heart of the O line out for future considerations. Rebuilding teams do this, not teams with playoff aspirations.Mankins was the one the others looked to, the one Brady trusted to run the 3rd and short behind, the one who kept a sense of continuity to the changing lineup the past few seasons.

In hindsight....this move looks like a loser.

The part that sucks the worst is there wasn't even a player to fill the void. Not only did Bill lose the best guard but he also hurt Solder in the process. It's pretty evident he is a lot better with Mankins beside him then without. Can you imagine Solder and Stork playing next to Mankins? Was kind of whatever when the move happened but now I am sincerely regretting it a bunch. I'm pretty frustrated right now and even if they do go ahead and draft line help in next years draft, there is no guarantee they will work out or they may take a couple of years to develop. I'm not even sure I trust bill to take the right guard in the draft. He may draft some no name in the 2nd from Rutgers that they could of had in he 5th or 6th.

I'm assuming the best bet would be to go get some veteran help in the offseason. Maybe they will luck out with a player of Brian Waters skillset.

Throw in the kicker that the player who showed a lot of promise in Tampa last year barely even sees the field is a possible indication that this was strictly a salary cap dump. I'm not feeling too good right now.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/patriots-have-deep-seated-and-vexing-problems

this is my biggest question

They are just poorly coached right now at least on defense.
If this is true, the situation on defense is fixable. No matter what is said on message boards, Belichick is one of the very best coaches in the NFL, even now. It may take until the bye to iron everything out, but Belichick is quite capable of being a bit more hands on with regard to the defense.

For me, it is NOT the defense that I worry about, other than the possibility of injuries. I think that this defense is much better than last year, although the desperation of last year is not evident. The defense was a top 10 defense with Siliga, Chris Jones and Vellano as our DT's. We've replaced Siliga with Wilfork and added Easley. Mayo is back. We have Revis and Browner.
=============
The offense is playing as badly as it has since Brady had his first start. The OL experiment was a disaster, but we still are 2-2. Personally, I don't think Mankins would have made any different than 2-2. Unfortunately, the new line has had one week of experience before facing CIN.

Or at least do me the courtesy of replacing my television, as the next delayed hand-off to Vereen I see on 3rd down I'm going to throw my remote through the screen.

It seems like a good idea in the heat of the moment, but killing your TV is actually a horrible thought.

In all seriousness, both my dad and his dad were avid gamblers--and both went through TVs like no one's business while watching football. They would then ***** and complain after they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back