PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran pass interference article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060806_06beat.20426f2.html

Article by Curran talks to Mike Pereira about P.I., and mentions Samuel's call in the Denver game. Pereira says it would have been better off not making that call, but it was made, so be it.

It boils by blood when a team gets a pass interference call in the end zone. Like Curran says, it basically gives the team a TD. A rule change is definately in order. When the ball is thrown into the endzone, ala the Denver game, make it a 15 yard penalty, unless it is flagrant, then put it on the one-yard line .

Or do something along the lines of the face mask penalty (5 or 15 yards). In instances where it's flagrant, make it a spot foul. But incidental contact, when two players are running stride for stride and happen to bump each other, make it a 15 yard penalty.

Last edited:
Or better yet, stop being such a bunch of pansies and don't make a call like that at all. Contact happens, it's freaking *football*. If a receiver can't take a little bump and still make a catch, he shouldn't be bailed out by a flag, he should be laughed off the field.

The only times they should throw a flag are when: A) The DB mugs the receiver, dragging him down or pulling his arms down as the ball is arriving, B) The DB intentionally and blatantly trips the receiver while the ball is in the air, C) The DB clearly faceguards the man, never looking for the ball while at the same time making significant contact with the receiver. That's it. And WR's should be called for offensive pass intereference far more often, for both blatant push-offs and hand fighting to keep the DB from attempting to catch the ball (hmm, that sounds familiar, Broncos)...

There should clearly be a 15 yarder for ticky tack calls and a point foul for flagrant. The jerk refs decide the games on calls that shouldn't be made.

This article by Curran seems like it sheds a little light on what Mike Pereira is all about. I have commented in the past that I thought he was pretty straightforward and candid about commenting on whether a particular call was a good call, a bad call, or a marginal call. This article seems to lean toward that evaluation of him.

When I have mentioned this before, I have had a number of folks come down on me really hard. I'm afraid they haven't changed my opinion. I have watched so many of his interviews on NFL.com and other shows and read his comments in print media and he doesn't seem to me to whitewash or cover up anything. I've never felt that he was anything less than frank about evaluating referee calls. Also, whether folks like it or not, he indeed ties some calls to black and white NFL rules which I always appreciate learning about. (Sorry about that Raiders)

Personally, I'm not inclined to want the PI call to be reviewable. For one thing, I don't think virtually any of the calls would be reversed since it is rarely a black and white situation and the review will give the nod to the original call.

I am greatly in favor of a 2 level penalty. It is almost impossible to pick up a flag on PI, but at least the refs could caucus and give out a less severe penalty if the call was felt to be marginal by other refs or on reflection by the ref making the call.

arrellbee said:
This article by Curran seems like it sheds a little light on what Mike Pereira is all about.

What do you got a crush on the guy? I like Pereira too, but he and all refs are human beings and make mistakes. The refereeing blew some serious a** all playoffs and they need some help.

I don't think PI should be reviewable either, but it also shouldn't be called that often. Like someone said, this is football. These candy a** refs are trying to turn it into something else.

BradyManny2344 said:
What do you got a crush on the guy? I like Pereira too, but he and all refs are human beings and make mistakes. The refereeing blew some serious a** all playoffs and they need some help.

I don't think PI should be reviewable either, but it also shouldn't be called that often. Like someone said, this is football. These candy a** refs are trying to turn it into something else.
I don't have a "crush" on Pereira in the slightest. But if I want to get the best impartial opinion possible about a evaluation of a call, he's the guy I would like to hear from. So far, I have never heard an opinion of his that didn't make complete sense. When a call is marginal, he says so. If there is not enough evidence to overturn a call on a review, he says that. If the call is a bad one, he says so (which he has done any number of times). If there is a part of the NFL rules that applies, even though fans and sometimes all of the media pundits didn't know about it or understand how it applies, he explains it.

"All refs are human beings and make mistakes." Yes, of course. Do you have a suggestion about how to do it without human beings ?

"The refereeing blew some serious a** all playoffs and they need some help." So what kind of help would you suggest ? Every single week of the season, the home office referee admin crew reviews tapes of each game and call. They meet as a group and discuss the calls and reach a conclusion as to what their assessment is of the calls. This assessment is sent to each referee crew so that they get feedback within days about whether there were any problems of judgment or application of rules. So what do you suggest as a different or additional way to try to improve referees ?

"I don't think PI should be reviewable either, but it also shouldn't be called that often." Pardon me, but why do I suspect that if a Patriots receiver gets knocked off of a reception that you might want that called ?? No matter what level of physical contact that you think is appropriate, the referees are still going to have to make judgments as to whether that threshold is crossed. There is a high likelihood that you would still be upset about many of these calls because you still wouldn't agree with the referees judgment.

"Like someone said, this is football. These candy a** refs are trying to turn it into something else." OK. I guess you want to allow more physical contact between receiver and defender. No problem. But remember that it will go both ways, so if you have a lighter receiver like a Deion Branch, he might have a lot of difficulty with more contact. But if that's OK with you, no problem. Personally, I like to see a skill contest between receivers and defenders right up until the receiver touches the ball. THEN I think the physical aspect applies completely and a hard hitting defense is a big advantage. Just my way of looking at it.

Great points all, folks.
The time has definately come for the 2-level PI penalty.
Furthermore, I am of the belief that All Calls Should Be Reviewable.

I would venture that Pereira is much more circumspect about some of the obviously bad calls than the league front office is.

R

BradyManny2344 said:

its all for the mannings.....
like-

george dubya and sr.

all about control from the man and small pee pee's

The only times they should throw a flag are when: A) The DB mugs the receiver, dragging him down or pulling his arms down as the ball is arriving, B) The DB intentionally and blatantly trips the receiver while the ball is in the air, C) The DB clearly faceguards the man, never looking for the ball while at the same time making significant contact with the receiver. That's it. And WR's should be called for offensive pass intereference far more often, for both blatant push-offs and hand fighting to keep the DB from attempting to catch the ball (hmm, that sounds familiar, Broncos)...

:rocker:

And then when the QB fumbles the ball away in the snow to the other team... they should probably just give the ball to the other team and not let him keep it.

That seems fair also. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye