PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran Offers a "Mea Culpa"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Pats start training camp. I listen to WEEI and as far as I can tell training camp should start around the first week of September when they actually acknowledge the Patriots have a team.

Sorry, your response is a failure because WEEI rarely talks the Patriots in August. The rest of the world is talking football, but WEEI rather talk real sports like Ortiz's drug test and Vick and PETA. The more I listen to the new radio station even with mediocre hosts in many cases, the more I hate WEEI because there is real football talk to talk about but other than Holley, they don't don't have the hosts who can generate Patriots talk without games. There is plenty of issues to talk about with the Pats.

My response is not a failure. You have a bias that you've allowed to completely color your arguments. And the rest of the world is not talking football. Which is really part of the point. By the way, as this site has shown with 5,000 "our linebackers suck!" threads, there has not been a lot going on with the Patriots that could fill hours of conversation without being completely repetitive.

Last edited:
Not difficult at all. There are alternatives to WEEI now who realize the Pats are almost as popular as the the Red Sox and aren't afraid to talk about it.

You are talkiing about one station with one outlet, compared to a station with about 10 outlets.. here in Southern RI it is not a choice as we only get WEEI, beside cannot stand Felger/Mazz or Zolak.

My response is not a failure. You have a bias that you've allowed to completely color your arguments. And the rest of the world is not talking football. Which is really part of the point. By the way, as this site has shown with 5,000 "our linebackers suck!" threads, there has not been a lot going on with the Patriots that could fill hours of conversation without being completely repetitive.

Yeah, I hate mediocre lazy radio. Sorry, that I don't like WEEI for Yahoo radio that ignores every sport but the the Red Sox between April and September.

So the thousands of calls saying this Red Sox team is done and like 2006 will miss the playoffs is better than thousands of calls of "our linebackers suck". I'd rather listen to Felger (who gets major props from me for blowing up Steve from Fall River before he could start his "we should have drafted Bob Sanders rant" and his refusal to allow moron callers like him, Dakota from Braintree, etc. who are only put on WEEI to be ridiculed) thank you.

You are talkiing about one station with one outlet, compared to a station with about 10 outlets.. here in Southern RI it is not a choice as we only get WEEI, beside cannot stand Felger/Mazz or Zolak.

Sorry. 98.5 isn't perfect by any measure, but they at least balance their subjects pretty evenly between Pats and Red Sox. Felger and Mazz have even toned their acts down a bit (although Felger hates Favre as much as ever). The DA Show at night is shaping up to be the best show on either station (granted that is based on couple of hours of listening), but he actually talks sports without any of the yahooism or contrarianism and actually seems to know what he is talking about. I actually hope if what I heard is the quality of his show normally that DA gets a spot on the afternoon show and dump Mazz to nights.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hate mediocre lazy radio. Sorry, that I don't like WEEI for Yahoo radio that ignores every sport but the the Red Sox between April and September.

So the thousands of calls saying this Red Sox team is done and like 2006 will miss the playoffs is better than thousands of calls of "our linebackers suck". I'd rather listen to Felger (who gets major props from me for blowing up Steve from Fall River before he could start his "we should have drafted Bob Sanders rant" and his refusal to allow moron callers like him, Dakota from Braintree, etc. who are only put on WEEI to be ridiculed) thank you.

Again, ALL talk radio that involves a call-in format is mediocre. It's pretty much by definition, because the host is at the mercy of the caller quality. And I've listened to the new station, as you well know. They've had crappy callers, talked all sorts of baseball, babbled on and on about their personal lives, and had back and forth arguments, just the same as WEEI has.

Just as a follow up.... they are now talking about Michael Vick.

More football.

I don't count that. Its more dumb, cookie-cutter, find the biggest headline and beat it like a dead horse type stuff. They never talk anything of substance - and yes, I understand that's what gets ratings, I'm just merely commenting on how disappointing that is.

They could talk about the Pats playing more 4-3 the other nite, or how Edelman looked, or the roster battles, but they never will get that in depth about this team.

Again, 890 ESPN in the afternoon is a much better option. The Red Sox talk right now makes me want to vomit.

Last edited:
This thread is dead to me.

Again, ALL talk radio that involves a call-in format is mediocre. It's pretty much by definition, because the host is at the mercy of the caller quality. And I've listened to the new station, as you well know. They've had crappy callers, talked all sorts of baseball, babbled on and on about their personal lives, and had back and forth arguments, just the same as WEEI has.

Again, the hosts and screeners control what the topics are and who gets on the air. They can easily change the subject if the calls get repetitive or screen out the callers with nothing new to offer. WEEI likes to beat topics into the ground. They are more than happy to talk about the same subject day after day even if there is nothing new to offer because they are lazy.

I don't count that. Its more dumb, cookie-cutter, find the biggest headline and beat it like a dead horse type stuff. They never talk anything of substance - and yes, I understand that's what gets ratings, I'm just merely commenting on how disappointing that is.

They could talk about the Pats playing more 4-3 the other nite, or how Edelman looked, or the roster battles, but they never will get that in depth about this team.

Again, 890 ESPN in the afternoon is a much better option. The Red Sox talk right now makes me want to vomit.

I agree. Both 98.5 and 890 ESPN have no problem generating Patriots talk no matter what happened in training camp. To discuss defensive strategy or roster battles, they actually have to know a little bit about the subject they talk about and I don't think many of WEEI care to get that info.

Again, the hosts and screeners control what the topics are and who gets on the air. They can easily change the subject if the calls get repetitive or screen out the callers with nothing new to offer. WEEI likes to beat topics into the ground. They are more than happy to talk about the same subject day after day even if there is nothing new to offer because they are lazy.

I don't know how often I'm going to have to make the same circular arguments with you, so I'll end this with the obvious:

Ratings.

And EVERY SINGLE TALK RADIO PROGRAM IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THAT I'VE EVER HEARD (and I've heard hundreds) beats the topics into the ground.

I agree. Both 98.5 and 890 ESPN have no problem generating Patriots talk no matter what happened in training camp. To discuss defensive strategy or roster battles, they actually have to know a little bit about the subject they talk about and I don't think many of WEEI care to get that info.

Yes, some/most of the EEI hosts and some/most of the EEI listeners probably don't care to take more than a cursory glance at the Patriots. And if thats what the people want, so-be-it, but I'm glad 890 w Winter/Valley/Lobel is an option. I haven't tried 98.5 yet, I can't stand Mazz on anything except baseball, and Felger is Felger - which means he can generate good sports talk and be entertaining, but also be a jacka**. I feel like Kevin Winter is probably a guy who reads patsfans/patriots planet and shares the level of enthusiasm people on this board have. So its a good alternative.

I don't know how often I'm going to have to make the same circular arguments with you, so I'll end this with the obvious:

Ratings.

And EVERY SINGLE TALK RADIO PROGRAM IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THAT I'VE EVER HEARD (and I've heard hundreds) beats the topics into the ground.

Ratings doesn't equal good. American Idol is the most watched show in the country. Intelligent, entertaining TV shows that don't spoon feed their audience rarely make it through their first season. I don't judge the quality of a radio station based on their ratings. Besides, this a sports town which only had one sports radio station that had any radio signal to even to speak.

And you overstate the every single radio station beats topics into the ground like WEEI. WFAN doesn't. Most radio stations across the country aren't single sport team focused like WEEI is.

Yes, some/most of the EEI hosts and some/most of the EEI listeners probably don't care to take more than a cursory glance at the Patriots. And if thats what the people want, so-be-it, but I'm glad 890 w Winter/Valley/Lobel is an option. I haven't tried 98.5 yet, I can't stand Mazz on anything except baseball, and Felger is Felger - which means he can generate good sports talk and be entertaining, but also be a jacka**. I feel like Kevin Winter is probably a guy who reads patsfans/patriots planet and shares the level of enthusiasm people on this board have. So its a good alternative.

I have trouble getting 890 in at work. And Lobel irritates me about as much as Mazz. But I agree they are a better alternative to WEEI in the afternoons for my money because they do talk Patriots.

Hey Rob, are you going to turn every single thread that mentions what was said on WEEI into an infomercial for 98.5 ? Can we look forward to this during the coach's interview...

"Yeah Bill had a great breakdown of the Bills game..."

"Well DA lets his callers talk !"

Enough already, we get it, you're a 98.5 shill/anti-WEEI guy. Take it to Bruce Allen's board, you'll fit right in.

Last Friday, the afternoon show spent the entire first hour breaking down the pre-season game before they moved on to baseball then later moved back to football, Felger was on to baseball within the first half hour. Again, cheer for them all you want... but stop making sh!t up.

Last edited:
Hey Rob, are you going to turn every single thread that mentions what was said on WEEI into an infomercial for 98.5 ? Can we look forward to this during the coach's interview...

"Yeah Bill had a great breakdown of the Bills game..."

"Well DA lets his callers talk !"

Enough already, we get it, you're a 98.5 shill/anti-WEEI guy. Take it to Bruce Allen's board, you'll fit right in.

Last Friday, the afternoon show spent the entire first hour breaking down the pre-season game before they moved on to baseball then later moved back to football, Felger was on to baseball within the first half hour. Again, cheer for them all you want... but stop making sh!t up.

Are we going to see you pop up and say stupid crap and never bring any value to this board - ever. Go away practice squad boy! No one cares what you think. I get into it with both Deus and MoLewisRock in these threads every time and I can pretty much guarantee both value my opinion more than yours.

PS welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Wahhh ! You don't have 8,000 posts, your opinions aren't valid !

Ignore me all you want shill-boy, I'll still go on calling you out when you continue to make things up that are only partially true, or in this case, completely made up.

Stop derailing threads cheering for the new station.

Wahhh ! You don't have 8,000 posts, your opinions aren't valid !

Ignore me all you want shill-boy, I'll still go on calling you out when you continue to make things up that are only partially true, or in this case, completely made up.

Stop derailing threads cheering for the new station.

In Rob's defense, Mo fired the first 'shot' with

They're talking about football on WEEI???

Rob's got a real Jones about this topic, but it wasn't his post that started the derailing.

So what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, Curran. I've always thought he was a stand-up guy. Brady appears to have forgiven him.

By the way, I envy all of you who can simply tune your radio into any local station and here Patriots talk even if they do allegedly suck.

That's what I get for living in VA I guess!

So what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, Curran. I've always thought he was a stand-up guy. Brady appears to have forgiven him.

By the way, I envy all of you who can simply tune your radio into any local station and here Patriots talk even if they do allegedly suck.

That's what I get for living in VA I guess!

Ok, I am willing to go back to the original topic since I played a major role in derailing this thread. Brady doesn't seem to be a guy who holds a grudge with the media. He kinda rolls with the punches and knows the game. If Curran feels he has a legitimate scoop, he has to run with it even if it isn't something Brady would like or ultimately turn out to be totally false.

My ONLY problem with Curran on this issue was that he didn't handle the criticism or reports contradicting his story with the grace I would expect out of a professional. He has moved on and not maintained the immaturity he temporarilly had on the issue and gone back to being an ultimate professional. Hopefully, he has learned from this experience.

As for the story itself, I am sure most reporters would have ran with it if his source is as good as many others in the media who know who it is have attested to. Felger and Holley both vouched for his source.

Everyone's going to be wrong sometimes. If he's willing to take his lumps and come clean and admit he was wrong, then that's pretty solid. More than most journalists are willing to do nowadays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye