PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: No reason explains why Pats settled for so little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to turn a thread WICKED boring guys. :rolleyes:
No kidding. A bunch of wage slaves discussing the hows and whys of billionaires, arguing about it, in fact. Like they have a single clue as to how a guy with a billion bucks thinks about money.

Maybe Curran needed one money cobbled reason: The Pats took the best deal they could get. Maybe they didn't get more because no one was interested in offering more.

The Vikings are happy with Sage Rosenfells. Yeah, that is stupid and incredibly short-sighted, but if they prefer Sage Rosenfells to Matt Cassel, then they do, end of story. The fact that they SHOULD offer more for Cassel is irrelevant. They didn't. Same with other franchises. If the Titans see Collins as their franchise QB of the future, it's stupid, but it is what it is. Just because Curran and I and all you guys think there should be a market doesn't mean there is one.

Tampa Bay and Detroit and SF and Carolina and a few other teams will suffer with mediocre QB play, or draft a rookie QB who may be good or may be a bust. If I were fans of those teams, I'd be upset.

But I sincerely doubt BB turned down an offer of two first round picks and instead traded for a second rounder.

Last edited:
No kidding. A bunch of wage slaves discussing the hows and whys of billionaires, arguing about it, in fact. Like they have a single clue as to how a guy with a billion bucks thinks about money.

I'm learning more and more why this economy is the way it is when I read posts like this..

Maybe Curran needed one money cobbled reason: The Pats took the best deal they could get. Maybe they didn't get more because no one was interested in offering more.

The Vikings are happy with Sage Rosenfells. Yeah, that is stupid and incredibly short-sighted, but if they prefer Sage Rosenfells to Matt Cassel, then they do, end of story. The fact that they SHOULD offer more for Cassel is irrelevant. They didn't. Same with other franchises. If the Titans see Collins as their franchise QB of the future, it's stupid, but it is what it is. Just because Curran and I and all you guys think there should be a market doesn't mean there is one.

Tampa Bay and Detroit and SF and Carolina and a few other teams will suffer with mediocre QB play, or draft a rookie QB who may be good or may be a bust. If I were fans of those teams, I'd be upset.

But I sincerely doubt BB turned down an offer of two first round picks and instead traded for a second rounder.

Well said.

His cap number under the franchise tag did not represent his true value to the Patriots. They just wanted to keep the Jets from getting him. The cap figure has everyone including Curran thinking he's worth as much as brady or even close to the same as brady. He never was. The league knew this. It was totally transparent.

While it's fair to say Cassel and Vrabel were worth more than what the Pats ended up with, that's the nature of the small league market. You're talking about a couple teams that were interested. Those teams happened to be rational and prudent....not Jerry Jones or Dan Sneider types who literally "surprise" players with their offers. It was not a tobacco auction folks.

The media should take an expansive view on this. The Pats essentially flipped a 7th rounder into a 2nd rounder (granted it was four years on, but still). You have to wait for the story to play out. Suppose the Pats then convert that pick into a pro bowler or a guy who ends up contributing for the better part of a decade? The media will always put the cart in front of the horse.

It's called foresight Tom Curran. Stop acting like a knee-jerk fan and try it sometime.

Last edited:
Read my previous posts.. he owns commerical property.. Plus he owns the land and pays little or no tax.. Kraft is not hurt by this market.. No freaking way.

He doesn't own them outright. He has a debt service on the stadium. He has a debt service on Patriot place. Much of his revenue comes from luxury box sales. How much of those do you think he is losing this year? Much of his revenue comes from sales of Patriots gear. You don't think sales are down this year? Much of his revenue comes from rentals of that commercial property at Patriots Place. How are all those vacancy treat him? If you haven't noticed there is a liquidity crisis going on and this is happening for everyone, even big buisiness and the rich. Nobody wants to lend money. EVERYONE has been effected by this downturn.

Way to turn a thread WICKED boring guys. :rolleyes:

Wait! A WICKED boring thread without me starting it or being an active contributor?!? I must be slipping.

Wait! A WICKED boring thread without me starting it or being an active contributor?!? I must be slipping.

Contributor? You're washed up dude, rotational at best - we'll be lucky to get a 7th for you. Maybe if we throw in Deus Irae...

Cap cuts...da boat of youse

hahhahaha.. I'm sorry I disagree with you 100%.. The common joe or the rich people are.. But WEALTHY people like the Krafts, Trumps, and Gates don't sweat this stuff.. Its just a market trend that will be over in around 2 or so years..

Uhmmm... didn't Trump just go bankrupt... again?

He isn't rich. Feux rich only.

If your bread and butter are the fans, and they go broke... you most certainly will feel the hit sooner or later.

Wake up.

You didn't even list any people that are really rich fwiw...

On the topic though, I don't know if that was the reason.

Maybe there was a lack of real interest in MC???? Salary cap issues and such...

I don't understand how people are content with the trade...I don't care if Cassel was a round 7 pick. If I was to trade my round 7 pick for a pick in 4yrs, i'll ask for a 2/3rd round pick...
I am disappointed and hope this doesn't signal how things will be without Pioli. Vrable and Cassel for a 2nd???? I would have waited and gotten a better deal. We had money to sign a big FA without trading cassel. I am sure we could have worked out some kind of contract.

Curran speaks of the 34th pick since 97 producing mostly journeymen or busts. Here is how his reporting and logic is flawed. First, he keeps saying "only a second rounder". So the 64th pick is the same as the 34th pick? They aren't even close, but they are both second round picks. This is a high second pick;that should be noted (versus generalizing it as a "Second" pick for story value). Second, when he speaks of the some decent, some unspectacular players picked at 34th, doesn't he wonder who were the teams picking at 34th? Being the 34th is the beginning of the round which likely means the team picking is a bad team. Starting at 2006 - 2000, the team picking at 34th:

2006: Cleveland
2005: Cleveland
2004: Giants (Chris Snee) (started every game since his second year)
2003: Detroit
2002: Carolina (DeShaun Foster) Averaged over 4 yard per carry with Carolina
2001: Arizona (Kyle Vanden Bosch) Once away from Arizona, did quite well
2000: Cincinnati

Good teams pick better. Bad teams don't. I think Curran should have given that consideration before intimating players taken at 34 don't make an impact. Just my two cents

I don't understand how people are content with the trade...I don't care if Cassel was a round 7 pick. If I was to trade my round 7 pick for a pick in 4yrs, i'll ask for a 2/3rd round pick...
I am disappointed and hope this doesn't signal how things will be without Pioli. Vrable and Cassel for a 2nd???? I would have waited and gotten a better deal. We had money to sign a big FA without trading cassel. I am sure we could have worked out some kind of contract.

The point is............... they did not see a better deal developing, and were still over-burdened with his money. It hindered their ability to be viable. Pulling the trigger sooner is good. Cassel was ALWAYS gonna be a tag and trade.

There are 2 people on this planet that are in the best position to determine Cassel's real value in the marketplace. Pioli and BB. The two that fleshed this one out. Cassel's real value is probably high 1 to mid 2. Depending which side of the fence you sit on......... BB said "Okay, we'll take your 34th, but you have to take this 4.4M {lost a step} OLB, but great locker room guy, off our hands too cause we're gonna cut him anyway" (ala salary dump to free up cap room). Or Poili said "We'll go as low as our 34, but give is a good locker room guy (like Vrabel) that 1) at 4+M is a potential cap casualty anyway and 2) Even if he's not. You ain't resigning him next year anyway, so this way you still get a little something.

It's probably somewhere in the middle. I'd personally say the latter, which means the chiefs slightly got the better of this deal, but not overwhelmingly so. To say either team got fleeced is silly and not realistic.

You guys did see our defense last year RIGHT............ I love Vrabel for all the nolstalgic reasons you all do, but lets face it, at 4+M, he's not exactly part of the solution anymore. Don't even point to 2007 either. Great year and all, but lets face it. When you are leading 50-7 in half your games, its pretty conducive to padded "pass rush" stats.

Last edited:
30054803.jpg

Never question Bill Belichick.

There are 2 people on this planet that are in the best position to determine Cassel's real value in the marketplace. Pioli and BB.

And McDaniels. Trade is a business. In business you try to maximize your profit and perhaps sell your assets for more than their worth. Cassel is probably worth what Pioli gave because there is no way Pioli will over pay for a value he knows. This is why I question the Pats trading with Pioli. I guess no one was showing real interest in a QB who threw to Moss and Welker.

And McDaniels. Trade is a business. In business you try to maximize your profit and perhaps sell your assets for more than their worth. Cassel is probably worth what Pioli gave because there is no way Pioli will over pay for a value he knows. This is why I question the Pats trading with Pioli. I guess no one was showing real interest in a QB who threw to Moss and Welker.

Right......... From the sounds of the marketplace, #34 might have been a little generous too (despite what patsfans.com fans think), thus requiring a little something extra. Like a cap draining, aged OLB that will not hurt you to lose, but will do wonders for all the little kiddies in my locker room who have no idea what its takes to win.

Pioli knows what he's getting and BB know what he gave up (and got in return). Both are sleeping okay tonight.

Last edited:
Right......... From the sounds of the marketplace, #34 might have been a little generous (despite what patsfans.com fans think), thus requiring a little something extra. Like a cap draining, aged OLB that will not hurt you to lose, but will do wonders for all the little kiddies in my locker room who have no idea what its takes to win.

the chiefs have Vets though. I think Pioli wanted Vrable to help transition the locker room into how Pioli wants it. (Patriot way)

the chiefs have Vets though. I think Pioli wanted Vrable to help transition the locker room into how Pioli wants it. (Patriot way)

True, but no vets with 3 rings ;).

On point, you are correct, he wants his vets. It's possible the decision was made awhile back that Vrabel was likely gonna be a cap victim and Pioli just said "throw him over to me, instead of letting him just walk over to that prick Mangini" :D

Last edited:
There's a blatant typo/error on page 2 of Curran's article. He states that Schaub brought in two 1st round picks. Clearly Schaub brought in return two SECOND round picks.

Curran: No reason explains why Pats settled for so little - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Doesn't anybody do proofreading on these articles? Or probably the problem was that the proofreader was not familiar with football. Still Curran should have caught that himself.

There's a blatant typo/error on page 2 of Curran's article. He states that Schaub brought in two 1st round picks. Clearly Schaub brought in return two SECOND round picks.

Curran: No reason explains why Pats settled for so little - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Doesn't anybody do proofreading on these articles? Or probably the problem was that the proofreader was not familiar with football. Still Curran should have caught that himself.
Sloppy, careless writing/editing? Naw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down