PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran leaving Patriots Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, that's not good :(

Hopefully they find a replacement who is as knowledgeable and as much of a homer as he, maybe he can take Borges with him.

GJAJ15 said:
Hopefully they find a replacement who is as knowledgeable and as much of a homer as he, maybe he can take Borges with him.
I don't think Curran is a homer. He's my third favorite writer behind Reiss and Felger.

Well good for Tom E. but that leaves us without alot of strong Patriot coverage.

He's my favorite writer. Period. His analysis is good, he's level-headed and avoids the kind of sensationalism that's leaked into Felger's articles from his live media work. Granted, he may not have the inside scoops that Reiss gets from pure hard work (e.g. when a new player is signed, Reiss not only gets the news, he interviews the new player's college coach).

But Curran combines excellent writing with good insight. That's a tough combination to beat and I'll miss it. I'll miss Solomon as well, he had good insight and decent writing and a great sense of humor (which Curran also has).

I'm glad to see that BSMW has an expanded Game Day feature. I like that a lot, but it's opinions, which we have here, and not in the same leage as real reporting.

Reiss better not be circulating his resume, that's all I can say.

Our loss is NBC's gain. Curran is one of the best.

Why can't Ron Borges be signed by the Kazakhstan Broadcasting Company?

shmessy said:
Our loss is NBC's gain. Curran is one of the best.

Wonder who the Projo's going to put in his place?

Donaldson might be a possibility... I generally enjoy his columns and he has previously been the Patriots beat writer back in the 1990s I belive (the fact that he covered the Pats during the Hugh Millen Tommy Hodgson years should engender a certain amount of respect and sympathy around here)

It wouldn't surprise me also if they hire someone away from Patriots Football Weekly (doesn't Donaldson's son write for them?)

Last edited:
Tom has got to take care of business with 3 young kids. Newspaper subscriptions go down every year so now was a good time to make a career move. I never knew he went to Silver Lake Hs. A fellow South Shore guy. That explains his superior savy and skills.

PatsFan37 said:
He's my favorite writer. Period. His analysis is good, he's level-headed and avoids the kind of sensationalism that's leaked into Felger's articles from his live media work. Granted, he may not have the inside scoops that Reiss gets from pure hard work (e.g. when a new player is signed, Reiss not only gets the news, he interviews the new player's college coach).

But Curran combines excellent writing with good insight. That's a tough combination to beat and I'll miss it. I'll miss Solomon as well, he had good insight and decent writing and a great sense of humor (which Curran also has).

I'm glad to see that BSMW has an expanded Game Day feature. I like that a lot, but it's opinions, which we have here, and not in the same leage as real reporting.

Reiss better not be circulating his resume, that's all I can say.

I agree.

I know that Tom Curran reads this board sometimes, and so I'll say thanks directly.

I think that Tom and Mike Reiss tie for first place for me, because they have different strengths. Mike is comprehensive and speedy. Tom has opinions, insights and a fresh angle. He's sympathetic to the team but he's not a parrot for the opinions of the ownership or coaches.

Oh, and on the rare occasion he makes a mistake he's not afraid to admit it!

If I could only read Tom and Mike plus this board I'd learn pretty much everything I wanted to know about the Pats.

Thanks, Tom, you've done a great job.

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This sucks!

Great for him though!

One of my favorite beat writers without a doubt!

I sent him a congratulatory email when I saw this and just got this response from him "Thanks, ...It's a well-covered beat now with Reiss and Tomase in the mix. I'm glad to get away from them to go against Pete Prisco..." If you guys want to do the same he can be reached at [email protected]

Bummer for us. Good quality writers in this region are few and far between.

Congrats Tom. Hope you beat the livin' snot out of Prisco. :D

Congrats TOM!!! BUT...we will all miss him!! I have to say the scene is even worse now...Soloman was up and coming..hardly here what a bit over a year and now gone??? He was a big improvement over what the Globe had. Reiss is solid and always on top of things..better than anyone. Curran to me was the one to read insight and opinion on the Patriots...not like big mouth Felger or worse, the idiot Borges. But now that he is gone..who will fill the void?? VERY sad..why why?? I know 3 kids and..dwindling newspapers..so??? Good luck TOM!!!

I am now living far from New England but Tom E. Currran along with Mike Reiss helped provide lots of interesting news and insights about my beloved Patriots.

Unlike a lot of other writers, Tom did not fall into the temptation of sensationalizing and exaggeration just for effect.

to Tom E. I say:

Good Luck in your future endeavors!

Pats726 said:
Congrats TOM!!! BUT...we will all miss him!! I have to say the scene is even worse now...Soloman was up and coming..hardly here what a bit over a year and now gone??? He was a big improvement over what the Globe had. Reiss is solid and always on top of things..better than anyone. Curran to me was the one to read insight and opinion on the Patriots...not like big mouth Felger or worse, the idiot Borges. But now that he is gone..who will fill the void?? VERY sad..why why?? I know 3 kids and..dwindling newspapers..so??? Good luck TOM!!!

So are you saying Reiss doesn't provide any insight on the team? if you are I agree with you, I'm just asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to Tom a very good beat writer, always enjoy his columns, glad for him sad for us. With Solomon going, Reiss is it for Pats beat writers now.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
So are you saying Reiss doesn't provide any insight on the team? if you are I agree with you, I'm just asking?

Reiss is hands-down the best source of info for the fan out there.

Ever since he escaped the in-stadium Patriots.com frat house he has stepped up to the big leagues.

Last edited:
Congratulations Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing you blindside Prisco with facts. :D

I'm Ron Borges? said:

People tend to confuse insight and opinion. There hasn't been much insight on this team since Felger morphed into an on air attention/ratings whore. Holley probably has more than anyone because of his insider connection that he chose to never abuse. Michael Smith was on his way to it before he left for ESPN, but something transpired that resulted in his loss of meaningful FO access (now limiting his insight to via players and former players). Most of the rest of them have self limited access because they have either alienated players or management or both because they weren't inclined to work quietly in developing it. Mike strikes me as the kind of guy who will and as a result he will gradually become more inciteful (provided he doesn't stumble into opinionated as most of his predecessors on this beat have). Curran struggled at times of late because the need to break news or create it to prove you were in the know often trumps quiet confidence in this market. The loudmouth opinionated jerks get all the extra money gigs and apparently sportswriters now make twelve cents an hour - or so those who leave the field or branch out to other media of financial necessity would have us believe.

I met Mike Giardi from NECN a few years ago when he was not yet an on air personality. He was part of a crew doing interviews on field before a Pedro game. I made a comment about how do you luck into a job like that and how neat it must be, and he told me he'd do it for free which wasn't much more than his boss was paying him. Since going on air he's become like a village idiot, and the NECN shows are about the toughest to watch next to FSNE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back