PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Judge shining light on NFL's arrogance and entitlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the verdict doesn't go to the NFL, what do you think Berman will say about his observations on the NFL and their process? I'm thinking it's going to leave a mushroom cloud over the NFL.

Though, the NFL will just try to dismiss it and carry on the fight.

OR they will acknowledge their errors and offer up another midnight apology. :eek:

My favorite quote:
"The NFL decided to make a federal case out of its belief the Patriots think they are above the law, that the rules don’t apply to them. And they are now encountering a federal judge who’s only too happy to point out that they are the ones guilty of doing what they say the Patriots have done."

I have no idea how he's going to rule, but Judge Berman has proven to be exactly the guy I thought he would be. Nobody's fool and no time for nonsense. Not the judge Goodell thought he was going to get when he filed in the Southern District of NY a nanosecond after his Ruling was released.

I'd be curious to see, if they have it, Goodells approval rating before the AFCCG, some time in May, now and what it will be a couple of weeks after Judge Berman makes his ruling.

I have to say I find it amusing that one of the NFL's key blunders is not allowing Pash to testify at the arbitration hearing.

The arbitration hearing was a big fat waste of time since POS Goodell was never going to change his mind. So in a certain sense they're right when they say Pash's testimony was irrelevant. But since they have to maintain the pretense of objectivity, they have no good reason for not letting him testify. :D

My favorite quote:
"The NFL decided to make a federal case out of its belief the Patriots think they are above the law, that the rules don’t apply to them. And they are now encountering a federal judge who’s only too happy to point out that they are the ones guilty of doing what they say the Patriots have done."

I have no idea how he's going to rule, but Judge Berman has proven to be exactly the guy I thought he would be. Nobody's fool and no time for nonsense. Not the judge Goodell thought he was going to get when he filed in the Southern District of NY a nanosecond after his Ruling was released.

This is huge to me. I know that if this does go their way there will be haters who say the Pats got off on a technicality, but if the NFLPA got their wish and this was moved to MN that would be an overwhelming majority instead of the minority I think it will be coming from Berman. Particularly if he beats down the NFL* in his decision.

It may turn out that the best thing to happen for Brady was something that seemed to go against him.

This is huge to me. I know that if this does go their way there will be haters who say the Pats got off on a technicality, but if the NFLPA got their wish and this was moved to MN that would be an overwhelming majority instead of the minority I think it will be coming from Berman. Particularly if he beats down the NFL* in his decision.

It may turn out that the best thing to happen for Brady was something that seemed to go against him.
Something I hope the media picks up, if the judge decides in favor of Brady.
  1. The NFL got to choose their venue and trump the NFLPA from getting the more favorable MN judge (who incidently might have a better choice for the NFL* as Doty didn't get the case).
  2. This would be 0-5 for the NFL* league office. when it appears that it is so difficult to overrule an arbitrator, what does this say to their platform/agenda/personnel?
  3. Brady/Kessler/Demaurice Smith should have a large national podium that will have to get coverage and I certainly hope they bring it up every time a reporter tries to talk to them. Every FRICKIN time.

The only one who'd be getting off on a technicality would be Goodell. Berman has basically, as I predicted he would, shredded the NFL's behavior. He might still rule for them on technical grounds, but it will be a Pyrrhic victory at best, as I believe he will be scathing in his commentary on the NFL's behavior even if he rules in their favor.

I have to say I find it amusing that one of the NFL's key blunders is not allowing Pash to testify at the arbitration hearing.

The arbitration hearing was a big fat waste of time since POS Goodell was never going to change his mind. So in a certain sense they're right when they say Pash's testimony was irrelevant. But since they have to maintain the pretense of objectivity, they have no good reason for not letting him testify. :D
Agreed. This is a major sign of the NFL's arrogance. Pash is critical since apparently it's on the record that he edited the Wells report. Not making him available to testify during the "Appeal" :rolleyes: was a major strategic blunder by the already blunder-prone NFL. Judge Berman pounced on it on Wednesday and actually went to far as to chide Nash that it was the sort of thing that had been accepted as "grounds to vacate" in other cases.

Keeping with my axiom of "Be pessimistic" I still largely think he will say his hands are legally tied, that he has to uphold the suspension, even though he tried as hard as he could to push the NFL into a reasonable direction and point out how unjust the situation is.

I hope I'm wrong.

Berman already pointed out an item where other cases have been over-turned.. The fact that the NFL did not allow Brady's lawyers to question Pash who had intimate knowledge of the changed made to the Wells report after it was submitted by Wells and before it was released to the public.

Nash does say that the PA had he opportunity to request pash's testimony again after they spoke to wells according to goodell but they never did.dont know how much that falls on the judge's years.

Nash does say that the PA had he opportunity to request pash's testimony again after they spoke to wells according to goodell but they never did.dont know how much that falls on the judge's years.

"according to Goodell"

and we all know hes been nothing but forthright and honest about this entire process every step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes