PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: It is what it wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that nobody is here bashing at Curran for his comments, given how quickly most negative media articles are slammed on this site.

Interesting that nobody is here bashing at Curran for his comments, given how quickly most negative media articles are slammed on this site.

I'm not able to open the link. Out of curiosity, what does it say ?

We are already seeing it on this board. Folks are in sheer panic-mode.

I guess I'm already de-sensitized to the weight of Curren's article.

Curran basically said: What goes up, must come down.

I actually think the article kind of blows. Not that he doesn't bring up some good points, but he basically contradicts himself at the end. He basically spends the whole article saying how the Pats are done, they stink and are going to get worse. Basically calls BB a moron. Says the free agents/draft picks we bring in will suck. And that there is no way to replace the players the Pats had over their years of dominance like Bruschi, Vrabel, Samuel, Harrision, Seymour, Branch, etc. But then he starts to change his tune about halfway through saying that no teams stay great forever and that sooner or later then get bad. And at the end, he basically contradicts everything he says by saying that no one thought Bruschi was going to be great playmaker when he first came into the NFL and no one new Branch would be a SB MVP when he first got drafted and that maybe the younger guys the Pats have now may become that.

I'm not able to open the link. Out of curiosity, what does it say ?

Here are a few lines that I was referring to:

Sorry, fellas, but it's going to be pretty ugly. The loyalists in their No. 54 jerseys are going to have to be dragged by the feet, round bellies bouncing off the ground, fingernails bloodied from grabbing at the dirt. They know they are about to be birthed back into the world of NFL fandom where "on any given Sunday" once again applies.

And, aside from the fact that Elin Nordegren is a helluva lot scarier than the Patriots pass rush and the secondary couldn't cover a $2 breakfast, the more cosmic answer is probably the more accurate one: Why shouldn't it be happening?

And get this . . . the Patriots don't even SUCK right now. Although they may be well on their way to doing so,

I don't think it was a negative article which is why people are probably not up in arms. I don't mind objective pieces that look at the state of the team. What I do mind is the hyperbole articles saying crap like it's the Patriots arrogance finally catching up with them, etc. It's a nice balanced piece from Curran. I don't happen to agree with several points in it such as the secondary not being able to cover a $2 breakfast since I blame the pass rush but that's splitting hairs.

Here are a few lines that I was referring to:

Thanks ! Looks like he is stating the obvious and if we don't make a course correction of whatever is wrong with this team, where we might end up. Only thing I could do at this point is keep the chin up and show up for the game on this Sunday and hope that everything will work out .

Last edited:
I think it kind of blows too.

He starts off by saying we're at the end of the Patriots reign and names a few new guys as unworthy replacements for everyone he could think of that we no longer have. He then proceeds to insult fans and Charlie Weis for some reason (must not have been invited to a party or something) and finishes with some quotes from Brady's interview on WEEI. Go get your own material already.

Sounds like he's attended the same school of journalism as Shaunasty, Felger, Mazz, and friends who don't seem to know their audience very well and who never bother go talk to any of the players or coaches on the team they are reporting on.

Here's the quote on Weis:

"You can hear the panic setting in with every fevered call to The Big Show to get Charlie Weis on the sidelines pronto, where he'll straighten things out. Folks, Charlie Weis pre-Notre Dame was barely tolerable. Post-Notre Dame? No chance.

You think he's going to be a picnic now that he's getting slapped back down to buck private and will be making a fraction of what he made the past five years? You think the personnel in the league, the defensive schemes and tendencies around the AFC and talents of the players on the Patriots are that easily digested that Weis can walk in and start punching up schemes with his Cheet-O crusted fingers?"

Was Weis barely tolerable?

Not sure why he sayd what goes up must come down, this isnt physics, its football. The 49ers were up for 14 years or so with 5 Championships sprinkled in, but they didnt manage the cap and that did them in, we have a better manager of the cap here. I can see us going down for a couple years and then reloading depending on what drafts pan out and what free agents we pick up. As long as the Krafts and BB are here I can say we'll be compettive with flashes of Championship caliber teams.

Not sure why he sayd what goes up must come down, this isnt physics, its football. The 49ers were up for 14 years or so with 5 Championships sprinkled in, but they didnt manage the cap and that did them in, we have a better manager of the cap here. I can see us going down for a couple years and then reloading depending on what drafts pan out and what free agents we pick up. As long as the Krafts and BB are here I can say we'll be compettive with flashes of Championship caliber teams.

It's not inevitable. It is that BB has replaced a bunch of great players with a bunch of mediocre players, particularly on defense. The coaches blitzed repeatedly to get to Henne but none of these players can get off a block.

Tale of the Tape: Patriots-Dolphins - Extra Points - Boston.com

The good days are over and the Pats are mediocre because they lost by one point to a tough divisional opponent on the road at a place where Brady has often struggled?

Okay, they're 7-5, but let's not just write off the season and get ready for a few years of 8-8 or 7-9. The Pats have four winnable games ahead and then they're in the tournament. Some luck here, some good bounces there and they're in the AFCCG.

Curran is just trying to sell newspapers.

Yes, let's hope they win the SB this year, and next year as well. But staying in the moment, they just lost their third game in the last 4 to a team that has lost as many as they have won. Right now this team is not playing well. Stating hte obvious does not make one less of a fan.

It is an interesting read and there are some valid points contained therein. There is also more fatalistic, "the end is here, doom and gloom" than is warranted. We have all seen examples of good to great franchises which have "down" years, that spring back to their former stature the next year. Throw in the liklihood of an uncapped year, an owner with deep pockets and a coach who's still a great one, and it's easy to see a quick reversal. With all that said, Tommy "I Really Didn't Mean Brady Was Done Forever Even Though I Wrote It" Curran still isn't over being snookered by the source who fed him the Brady's done BS last spring. His take on the Patriots on the Big Show today bordered on embarrassing - nearly as embarrassing as the Pats' loss this past Sunday. They both should be ashamed of themselves, but my guess is only the team falls into that category.

He did say that it isn't over yet since we are likely to be in playoffs. He pointed out that we have had playoff teams or been tied for the playoffs spot every year since 2001.

We hear a lot about the decline of the defense, or the rebuilding of the defense. I would note that the offense is essentially intact, other than for Gaffney who Bleichick chose to try to replace.

There will be criticisms. Curran and Reiss are usually accepted here without much argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots