Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From Tom Curran's story on the NBC Sports Site:

Further fallout

If the NFL is going to perform a colonoscopy on the Patriots archives of tapes from past games thanks to Week 1's video transgressions, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell needs to line up all 31 other teams for the same examination.

There was no shortage of coaches and sources saying, "Everybody's doing it, New England just got caught," so if that's the case, this kind of cheating is rampant.

And what you do when cheating is rampant is pull the rug back on the whole operation and make sure that every one of the 32 teams has been operating on the up-and-up.

There's absolutely no doubt that something else is going to be unearthed by Goodell and his men when they launch a deeper investigation.

Bill Belichick's flimsy "misinterpretation" excuse couldn't have meant that he just misinterpreted on Sept. 9. New England is going to be found to have the exact same types of offending video in its archives from past games as well.

What does Goodell do then? Drop a half-million dollar fine on Belichick and dock the Patriots' draft choices for every other game they did the same thing in? Or just lump all prior transgressions in under the penalty handed down last week?

If this is the scandal it's purported to be, then it has to be eradicated. And not by making an example of one team. Goodell can't wave the "integrity of the game" banner and turn a deaf ear to all the whispers that the Patriots weren't the only ones flaunting the rules.

It's hypocritical and, to borrow a phrase from last century, a high-tech lynching.

http://www.nbcsports.com/portal/sit...0VgnVCM10000075c1d240RCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1

I wish more members of the media were as intelligent as Tom Curran.

Apparently Tom Curran doesn't know the difference between "flaunting" and "flouting."

Ridiculous. Just how the hell is Goodell going to ascertain these videos from BB's archives. Unless I'm in bizzaro world Goodell and his flunkies do not have court authority to issue search warrants nor do they have police power to execute search warrants. BB will hand over what he wants (hopefully making copies because if everyone is doing it why be the only one without this advantage.)

Not a criminal offense-only league rule violation=no search.

BB shouldn't give or say a thing to Goodell from this point on. If Goodell want's to talk, he can talk to Kraft's lawyer.

What the Patriots 'should' do really doesn't matter. They have already rolled over into the submissive pose.

What the Patriots 'should' do really doesn't matter. They have already rolled over into the submissive pose.

How long before some Senator from Missouri, Indiana, or Pennsylvania decides to make a name of themselves and we have congressional hearings on this?

BB shouldn't give or say a thing to Goodell from this point on. If Goodell want's to talk, he can talk to Kraft's lawyer.

Amen...especially given the direct pipeline from the commissioner's office to Fox Sports (see other thread on this). He gets nothing unless he can ensure its confidentiality and the Pats know exactly what he is looking for and the penalty if he finds it. Otherwise this would be legal and public relations suicide.

Apparently Tom Curran doesn't know the difference between "flaunting" and "flouting."

Accurate English isn't his long suit. He once posted on KFFL and I accused him of being a faker because there were too many errors in his English for a professional journalist to make. I was wrong.

But I sure miss him as a guy covering the team. :(

I agree! And I hope it was done purely to acknowledge that we broke the current rule that prohibited taping and nothing else.

recalling that the FBI were part of the initial interrogation of Matt Estrella

If I'm not mistaken, Curran was a little overly righteous on the "Patriots Cheated - Shame on Them" Bandwagon

Now that more and more and more coaches and owners are fessing up that - yeah, not only did we routinely steal signals we used video as well... in addition to the more recent Dolphins transgression that everyone seems to conveniently forget about, is Curran trying to be a little more balanced.

As I said right from the start, Eric "The Rat" Manjudas is going to go down in NFL history as the guy who undermined the credibility of the game... and all because he simply wanted to divert NY media attention away from his poor coaching in Week 1.

The only fear I had going into this season was the lack of motivation and potential for complacency by this, the most talented Patriots team we've ever had.

NY Fans should Thank Eric the Rat for giving his former team enough drive to potentially go 19-0!

It doesn't surprise me that while he is now trying to take up the banner for BB he misinterprets what is going on. The team agreed to turn over all this information last Thursday. That it exists was part of BB's misinterpretation defense. That it will land on Fox isn't even material in that context since it will be nothing more than a series of tapes of things that anyone at the game could see with their own eyes. Utilizing it to advantage would require genius that doesn't really exist in the coaching ranks of the NFL beyond the guy who compiled the tapes.

The problem lies in the continuing allegations that other things took place. The problem there is, prove it. Allegations are like ***holes, everybody has 'em. Goodell would have to have a team produce the evidence they allude to, and I doubt any of them can.

But kudos to Tom for suggesting the much needed league wide colonoscopy. While they're at it they should ask to borrow Shanny's lie detector and see how far their investigation then goes...

Goodell intended for the buck to stop here. Using BB as the example to the league that any FUTURE behaviors would not be tolerated and be dealt with harshly. Kind of like a league-wide cease and desist order. They don't get it, and it's up to him to drive that point of emphasis home before they ruin his sophomore season. If he doesn't this thing could get a lot uglier and spiral onto lot of other "players" beyond Bill before all is said and done. And should that happen, Goodell will find himself on the fast track to a new challenge with a new employer and his successor will be working overtime on damage control.

You guys weren't listening closely to Goodell last night. He said he had requested the tapes, etc. from the Patriots, and they had complied. He was asked if he was getting everything and he said yes. He also said that he would levy penalties for non-compliance.

He doesn't need a search warrant. Not as long as he has the ability to levy fines and withdraw draft choices--and suspend coaches.

On the other hand, Curran is absolutely right. The other teams should give up their videotapes as well. Otherwise, we have a witch hunt aimed solely at the Patriots.

And it might not be a good thing for the entire community to kill the king.

Isn't it a bit ex post facto for the league to be demanding the past tapes? I didn't read the memo sent out over the off season; but it seems a bit like the 'point of emphasis' bit with regard to pass interference from a few years ago. Not exactly a new rule; but only sort of one. That point of emphasis only changed things that happened after it came along. Its not like all of Ty Law's pass defenses that were very, very close to Pass Interference were suddenly made illegal. If the memo changed things why does the league have the right to extend this back before its time?

Curran is right. This witchhunt has become very onesided. Why are the Pats the ONLY team to have to hand over all their tapes when other teams are likely to have engaged in the same behavior? The 1st round pick penalty and the fines, ok I can see that. But looking to prosecute for more, and totally ignoring the other teams in the league. That is indeed a lynching. Well said Tom Curran.

he is correct..and it looks like the Pats turned the tapes over...

The way I understand this, they want the old tapes and material to prevent them from being used. As long as Goodell dosen't find something other then what the Pats have been whacked for, he's done ! He understands there will be tapes of other games, I don't think he cares, as long as they can't use those tapes anymore and don't do it anymore. Issue is more closed then people realize, which is ok with me, more TACKLIN FUEL !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes