PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran changes his mind on Dez Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not every day that a talent like Dez Bryant falls to the team selecting at the 22nd or 24th spot of the first round. Obviously, The Pats passed. I believe Curran just articulated some of the reasons why. With Byant there would be a capital I in team, which conflicts with team philosophy.

Why are so many Boston writers doing articles about Bryant right now? He didn't even get drafted in the division, and unlike the Gresham story, there isn't even anything hinting that BB might've wanted him. So I don't get it, why don't we just write about every other first rounder then? Just dumb.

Last edited:
The Randy Moss comparisons kill me. Bryant may well end up being a very good receiver ... but he doesn't have one thing that Moss has and that is the speed. Moss was in the 4.2's when he was younger and had all the other great qualities to boot. I don't see Bryant having separation speed on the NFL level ... so we'll see.

I don't disagree with Curran's thesis, but the list on the side is sort of troubling. I guess you can consider DHB useless, though he was only a rookie last year. But he has Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks under useless as well, and both caught nearly 50 balls and 3 and 6 TDs respectively as rookies, which is nowhere near useless (in fact, as rookie receivers drafted towards the middle-end of a round, that's pretty damn good).

Bryant has a "good" minicamp where he caught everything except his breakfast that he upchucked over the practice field and now all the writers have changed their tune about the guy. Again, all these writers who are saying the Pats blew it by not taking BBryant choose to ignore his questionable intelligence (rumors that Oklahoma State had to pare down his playbook, his 16 Wonderlic score, etc.).

There is no doubt Bryant has tons of God given talent, but that doesn't mean he is smart enough to handle the Pats' presnap reads and route adjustments.

As I read this, I kept wondering when Curran was going to point out, as have many posters here, how Bryant just isn't a fit in BB's system, especially seeing how BB is going back to drafting high character guys with high leadership qualities in restocking this team. Instead, he gets even more ridiculous in saying that Bryant would have been better off in NE than in Dallas (!!!). Who the fck cares if playing for Dallas might make Dez a worse player in the long run? The only point to be made is that these are all the reasons why BB had no interest in drafting him in the first place.

And what about those TWENTY ONE teams before the Pats who ALL passed on Bryant? Why is it only the Pats who should have taken him? I don't get it. Also the guy is not even close to Calvin Johnson or Moss. He looks like he's running in quicksand compared to those guys. Idiotic press just wanting attention. Hey look at me, I can criticize the Pats, so read my column! *barf*

Dez Bryant could be the next Braylon Edwards, David Terrell, or Charles Rogers for all we know. There are just too many busts at WR for anyone to say without a doubt 'you should have drafted dez bryant'. Not to mention he's become a media circus. He's as likely to evolve into a locker room cancer as he is into a star player.

And what about those TWENTY ONE teams before the Pats who ALL passed on Bryant? Why is it only the Pats who should have taken him? I don't get it. Also the guy is not even close to Calvin Johnson or Moss. He looks like he's running in quicksand compared to those guys. Idiotic press just wanting attention. Hey look at me, I can criticize the Pats, so read my column! *barf*

Dez Bryant could be the next Braylon Edwards, David Terrell, or Charles Rogers for all we know. There are just too many busts at WR for anyone to say without a doubt 'you should have drafted dez bryant'. Not to mention he's become a media circus. He's as likely to evolve into a locker room cancer as he is into a star player.

including denver which traded up and didnt pick up and they run the same system as us.

He looks strong and has good YAC, but, unless you've got different highlights, comparisons to Moss are ludicrous. He can't get separation from single coverage as good as Moss does from double and triple.

Moss's combination of height, incredible speed, jumping ability, brains, route-running, and overall athleticism will never be matched in the history of the NFL. Not even Jerry Rice holds a candle to Moss in terms of athletic ability.

Comparing Dez to Moss is disgraceful.

Why are so many Boston writers doing articles about Bryant right now? He didn't even get drafted in the division, and unlike the Gresham story, there isn't even anything hinting that BB might've wanted him. So I don't get it, why don't we just write about every other first rounder then? Just dumb.

The same stuff is being written in other cities.

The Randy Moss comparisons kill me. Bryant may well end up being a very good receiver ... but he doesn't have one thing that Moss has and that is the speed. Moss was in the 4.2's when he was younger and had all the other great qualities to boot. I don't see Bryant having separation speed on the NFL level ... so we'll see.

Any writer who compares the two is just lazy. They are absolutely nothing alike. I don't see any similarity between Bryant and the 1998 Moss coming out of college. Moss is the most physically gifted WR ever. He's over 6'4" with a reported 51" vertical who runs a 4.25 40. Bryant is 6'2" and runs a 4.52 40 with a 38" vertical. In terms of production, Bryant had only one great season (87-1480-19). Both of Moss' seasons were outstanding putting up 78-1709-28 and 96-1820-26. Each guy had off field concerns, but they were completely different. Bryant got a suspension for lying to the NCAA and is said to have a diva attitude. Moss had been arrested multiple times and had done time. Where are the similarities all these reporters are seeing? :confused:

There were so many errors in Curran's post it was unbelievable. Too many to enumerate. It sounded like a ridiculous screed.

It's nice being a writer that can decide after the draft that his original position was a mistake. However, NFL front offices actually have to make decisions before/during the draft and live with the results.

It's nice being a writer that can decide after the draft that his original position was a mistake. However, NFL front offices actually have to make decisions before/during the draft and live with the results.

Apparently Breer did not read your post.

Actually, if Bryant doesn't have top-line speed, Kenny Britt is a damn good comp.

Everyone wants to think that a comparison to a hall of fame generational receiver is what they have. Nobody wants to be compared to a run of the mill guy that may or may not be a bit better than average.

The draft is based on hope. When people have their hopes set on a particular player and they are dashed then they start evaluating the situation in it's entirety properly. That's what Curran has done and that's what sports writers have been doing for years.

Personally I hate the most optimistic opinions regarding newly drafted players. The reality is they are seldom met.

Last edited:
No way I would have drafted D. Bryant at #22:
1) BB got good value trading down 2x in first round
2) BB still got the man they targeted - and even after trading down to # 27 (according to what BB said)
3) character counts and last years locker room was toxic - no sense adding fuel to the fire.
4) Time to see how the youngers are developing at WR: Edelmann, Tate, and now Price. So the pipeline is full but need to see in a year where they are at and their future outlook............THEN
5) 2011 Draft is FULL of first round talent at WR. Several mocks have 4-6 WR taken in 1st. So should be decent chance one of those 1st round talents has an attitude that can mesh with NEP locker room. So Dez can go fly a kite for all I care.

I don't disagree with Curran's thesis, but the list on the side is sort of troubling. I guess you can consider DHB useless, though he was only a rookie last year. But he has Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks under useless as well, and both caught nearly 50 balls and 3 and 6 TDs respectively as rookies, which is nowhere near useless (in fact, as rookie receivers drafted towards the middle-end of a round, that's pretty damn good).
Have to agree with Curran here. He made it clear his rating was based on where the receiver was drafted. As first round picks and the #1 or #2 option on most passig downs, I'd expect a lot more than a pedestrian 40 some catches each. They didn't have a lot more production that Edelman, a 7th round pick who did not have the opportunities they had because he was a #4 receiver and missed a couple games AND never played WR before.

If the Pats had picked Nicks and he only had 40-odd catches, he'd be called a bust in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes