PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady's not quite dialed in yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, he's played at a high level since shredding his knee. On the other hand, he has certainly not played at a 2007 level with any consistency since the injury. It's conceivable that the pre-injury form may never return. See Palmer, Carson.

Um...neither has anyone else still on this offense...

None of them make every play. He's completing 63% of his passes even with half a sinker through two games. That's his career average. There is nothing wrong with targeting your receivers based on matchups. Those matchups are supposed to favor you... Of course the target has to catch the ball more than half of the time (let alone 20% of the time) or perhaps it's time to question targeting him at all. Of course others made mistakes during the course of the game. Tate lined up wrong twice and only got caught once. Welker cut off a route. Hernandez missed a block on a screen to Welker. OLinemen missed blocks and derailed the running game. It wasn't all sunshine and lollipops out there save the idiot QB...who was deadly accurate in the first half despite some unfortunate drops. He's going to focus his attention on his most experienced and talented receivers, his go to guys - just like Manning did until they started replacing them or until they can't be relied on to make plays for him anymore.

The 2007 season was one for the ages statistically. I haven't seen that kind of performance from the #1 WR since, either. That guy on the 65th best player in football ever clip, he hasn't been that player for a while now. Do you still see flashes of that player in game situations? Yeah, intermittently. Unfortunately, that potential remains seductive. Speed, hands and jumping ability were his trademark. Not seeing much of any of that consistently anymore.

The 2007 season was one for the ages statistically. I haven't seen that kind of performance from the #1 WR since, either. That guy on the 65th best player in football ever clip, he hasn't been that player for a while now. Do you still see flashes of that player in game situations? Yeah, intermittently. Unfortunately, that potential remains seductive. Speed, hands and jumping ability were his trademark. Not seeing much of any of that consistently anymore.

Seductive to Brady and the coaching staff. Maybe he's going to keep getting balls thrown to him as though he still had those skills, damn the team and damn winning and losing.

Let's face it we'll never know until his carer is over what state brady's arm is in. But they just invested a ton of money in him so the medical reports can't be horrible. We'll see ... he's always managed so far to be a great QB. men change when they hit their 30's ... maybe Tom still hasn't quite adjusted yet.

I can't speak for Tom but I know exactly what you speak of. I'm 37 and I have played high level, competitive soccer my whole life. I still play in over-30 leagues and the way I often describe it is "it's a betrayal". Your body betrays you. My play in the second half of games is pretty much like Brady's of late and it's very frustrating. I just can't get my legs to keep up with my brain. Mentally I am better than have ever been. I would never admit this to my coach though.

So I compare my own decline to what I see from Brady lately and it looks familiar. I fully realize the absurdity of this and acknowledge it's apples and oranges.

I can't speak for Tom but I know exactly what you speak of. I'm 37 and I have played high level, competitive soccer my whole life. I still play in over-30 leagues and the way I often describe it is "it's a betrayal". Your body betrays you. My play in the second half of games is pretty much like Brady's of late and it's very frustrating. I just can't get my legs to keep up with my brain. Mentally I am better than have ever been. I would never admit this to my coach though.

So I compare my own decline to what I see from Brady lately and it looks familiar. I fully realize the absurdity of this and acknowledge it's apples and oranges.

Tough luck gramps. Don't project your own mid-life crisis onto Brady.

FWIW from a couple of darksiders just looking at the facts...

What's up with Randy Moss? - Extra Points - Boston.com

And I listened to Bruschi's podcast and he also noted that if in fact Tom seems fixated on Moss that may in part be because he feels he has to keep him involved...

In any case, if the issue is arm fatigue, it can be addressed through diet, conditioning, and appropriate gameplanning.

Seductive to Brady and the coaching staff. Maybe he's going to keep getting balls thrown to him as though he still had those skills, damn the team and damn winning and losing.

Mo has an obvious bias against the guy. But let me ask you, what did you see in the first 2 games of the year that suggest Moss might be lacking those skills? Lacking enough to start changing the system to -avoid- him?

The only errors I saw in the Jets game from Moss were a couple of drops. He got himself in position, his legs were there, all of his abilities seemed to be there to me except for a couple of bobbled/missed passes. I don't think the age factor is an excuse for his hands being uncharacteristically unsure.

2007 was the best year a QB and WR has ever had. They broke records, and anyone expecting Moss and/or Brady to perform at a level again simply don't understand how special that year was. It is NOT going to happen again. Moss is still the best receiver in the NFL and every defense will continue to have him as their #1 guy to stop each and every week the Patriots play.

And I listened to Bruschi's podcast and he also noted that if in fact Tom seems fixated on Moss that may in part be because he feels he has to keep him involved...

What can be done about it? Moss is Moss.

The Pats can't realistically trade him for any player who's going to have an impact this season, while still keeping the team competitive, can they? If they trade him, will Brady pout? And if so, for how long?

Right now, I foresee no end to balls being forced to Moss, but fortunately things can still change. :)

Moss has the play of the year so far. I guess that will lead defenses to ignore him. IMHO, this play will be required watching for all defensive backs that will face Moss. And all shoudl consider how they could defend Moss better than Revis did on that play.

Mo has an obvious bias against the guy. But let me ask you, what did you see in the first 2 games of the year that suggest Moss might be lacking those skills? Lacking enough to start changing the system to -avoid- him?

The only errors I saw in the Jets game from Moss were a couple of drops. He got himself in position, his legs were there, all of his abilities seemed to be there to me except for a couple of bobbled/missed passes. I don't think the age factor is an excuse for his hands being uncharacteristically unsure.

2007 was the best year a QB and WR has ever had. They broke records, and anyone expecting Moss and/or Brady to perform at a level again simply don't understand how special that year was. It is NOT going to happen again. Moss is still the best receiver in the NFL and every defense will continue to have him as their #1 guy to stop each and every week the Patriots play.

So Bruschi's a credible resource if he grants that Moss might be a part of the problem, but he's an agenda-driven egotist if he places some blame on the coaches. That makes sense.

So Bruschi's a credible resource if he grants that Moss might be a part of the problem, but he's an agenda-driven egotist if he places some blame on the coaches. That makes sense.

Bruschi takes every opportunity to slam the Pats these days.

Due to:

A) Effort to appear non-biased
B) Patriots forced him to retire
C) Not enough fiber in his diet

I'll pitch in to help Tom "dial in"...

dial_soap.jpg

Why wouldn't you want to keep Moss involved? With the rules they way they are (totally in favor of passing offenses) and the way the Jets covered Ravens receivers the week before (or didn't) why wouldn't you be very aggressive going down the field? I mean hindsight is 20/20 but I'm sure Brady had in his mind going into this game the Jets could be vulnerable deep. As Moss stated during the infamous press conference the week before his job is to "take the top off of defenses". He is still one of the most unique weapons in the game and he should be used. We have all seen him make incredible catches in double coverage so I don't blame Brady for taking some shots even into tight coverage. However the throws could have been better.

Maybe Belichick cut out a couple of cancers from last season, but maybe he didn't cut out the biggest cancer of all?

Brady lost weight? He looks like he has more muscle than ever.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. But since we're throwing around conspiracy theories, weight loss seems like a good one.

In any case, if the issue is arm fatigue, it can be addressed through diet, conditioning, and appropriate gameplanning.

Arm fatigue can also be addressed through excessive masturbation as well.

That's a possibility, but I don't want Brady's vision to suffer. :(

In that case, I'd recommend a plate of carrots next to him during this masturbation time. The only time he should be careful is when selecting ranch dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back