PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady's not quite dialed in yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow, you really need a degree in journalism and inside access to the team to write an article restating what happened in a game watched by millions, four days after it happened. Bravo.

Brady is basically a junior version of Belichick. We'll never know what he really thinks about those plays and the team chemistry right now.

Last edited:
This is going to be an unpopular article with a lot of people here, but it has a lot of truth to it. Brady DIDN'T look dialed in during the second half last Sunday. At times, he looked absolutely baffled. I don't hesitate to say that if a couple of those throws are more on than they were, this is a very different game. Oh well. Every quarterback is capable of putting up a stinker once or twice a year.

This is going to be an unpopular article with a lot of people here, but it has a lot of truth to it. Brady DIDN'T look dialed in during the second half last Sunday. At times, he looked absolutely baffled. I don't hesitate to say that if a couple of those throws are more on than they were, this is a very different game. Oh well. Every quarterback is capable of putting up a stinker once or twice a year.
Yeah, Brady usually has one or two ugly stinkers a year.

Not unpopular, just blatantly obvious and already dissected to death. These writers get all excited and think they have a juicy article with a lot of quotes from Brady, only to go home, write down what's been said, and realize they've been duped.

I just don't get why the issue of forcing the ball to Moss hasn't been adjusted yet. We know how hard of a worker Tom is and still making the same mistakes that contribute to the 2nd half problems

Brady has definitely been a softer all around player since 2007. We could come up with a million different reasons why, but the fact of the matter is, he's just not that same rugged play-maker anymore. I know, many of you will respond with a million statistics contradicting this statement but I think these stats do not reflect the change in intangibles. I can't remember the last time, Brady led a comeback. Actually, I can't even remember the last time Brady took a decent hit and didnt fumble the ball. He has a way to go, to both catch up to Manning or even look like he deserves his new salary.

Brady has definitely been a softer all around player since 2007. We could come up with a million different reasons why, but the fact of the matter is, he's just not that same rugged play-maker anymore. I know, many of you will respond with a million statistics contradicting this statement but I think these stats do not reflect the change in intangibles. I can't remember the last time, Brady led a comeback. Actually, I can't even remember the last time Brady took a decent hit and didnt fumble the ball. He has a way to go, to both catch up to Manning or even look like he deserves his new salary.

The last time he led a comeback was Week 1, 2009 vs. Buffalo.

Being baffled and making bad throws are different situations entirely. There is no excuse for Tom Brady being baffled in an offense that the team has built around him for 10 years. If Tom Brady is baffled with regard to schemes, calls or formations, then there is a very serious issue that must be addressed.

If, on the other hand, Tom Brady simply had a terrible day, then we are dealing with a different issue. We are then dealing with the ability of coaches and other players to help Tom during the game.

Good teams win even when their top player has a bad day.
=====================================

I hate to harp on this, but Brady hasn't won a road game since he came back from injury, except against Buffalo and against TB in London.

My question is what can the team do to help Tom Brady perform as he is capable of performing.

The last time he led a comeback was Week 1, 2009 vs. Buffalo.

Which was absolutely awesome. Two fourth quarter TD's to Benjamin Watson (of all people).

Looks pretty spot on to me.

1. . . . . Knee

Indeed.....

Moss had beaten Antonio Cromartie and the safety help hadn't arrived yet. But Brady's pass went over Moss' head and bounced out of bounds.

On the next Patriots' drive, Brady again looked for Moss on the right side and - after locking in - threw a pass that Cromartie tipped and Brodney Poole picked off. Wes Welker was running alone down the middle of the field on that play.

"As a quarterback – before the game, you talk about coverages and you say, 'OK, if it’s this coverage, this is where I’m going to throw the ball. If this is the matchup we get, this is where I’m going to throw the ball.' So then if you get the matchup, throw it, and it's not complete, the coach may say, 'Why didn't we throw the other side?' And you'll say, 'Because we talked two hours before the game that this is where we want to throw.' "

http://www.csnne.com/09/22/10/Curran-Bradys-not-quite-dialed-in-yet/v1_landing_patriots.html?blockID=316521&feedID=3352

That should be the end of the playcalling and "adjustment" complaints, right there.

Last edited:
In other news, the Patriots play in Foxboro.

I thought about the knee as well but it seems like his problem is more mental than physical, perhaps the knee injury affected his mentality a lot more than we thought. For one thing, he gets flustered as soon as things start to get tough during the game. He's the same old Brady when the team is up by a score or two. He used to be very rugged mentally, that was his trademark; the last time I truely felt I experienced this was during the Colts game last year even though we lost. I think in these situations we need to keep Brady in a rythm, and run the 2-minute offense regardless of the time.

Indeed.....

Curran: Brady's not quite dialed in yet

That should be the end of the playcalling and "adjustment" complaints, right there.

Hmm. Not seeing how this statement is at all dispositive with respect to that debate. Especially with the additional quotes edited in; if anything, you've just provided additional fodder for questioning certain coaching decisions.

But as FTW said, no need to hijack another thread.

Last edited:
Yeah, Brady usually has one or two ugly stinkers a year.

Exactly...even during the perfect season he had a couple bad games. 140 yards passing against the Jets in the 2nd meeting with 0 TDS and 1 INT, under 50% passing against the Ravens.

So even in the best of seasons hes capable (and allowed) to have a bad game. He looked pretty damn good against Cinnci, and even most of the Jets game. The first half, and the drive up to the 16 yard line before the sack.

Hmm. Not seeing how this statement is at all dispositive with respect to that debate.

1.) Players are open

2.) Brady's missing the throws or deliberately targeting the matchup that was wanted in game planning, instead of hitting the open man, and the execution failed.

Pretty clear, really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back