PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady's dismay is impossible to miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might want to play until he's 43, but do the Pats want him until then? IMO, his question is valid.

I really don't think it is. Do the Patriots want him as long as he's productive? Why wouldn't they. Who would want him if he's not?? Would he play if he's not??? Not this guy, he's too competitive and too driven to want to cash a paycheck he isn't earning on his personal back nine. It won't be fun for him once that day comes, and he won't hang on for dear life fighting it, either. He respects Belichick and Kraft and his teamates not to mention himself too much to. If you listen to him you sense he is all about team and winning. He won't put himself above the team EVER, he never has, and that is a huge part of what has made him so special for the last 11 seasons.

Sadly we don't have many competent reporters in this town any more, let alone in sports. Everyone is a multi mediot analyst or columnist whose job is to generate ratings of some sort via assuming controversial or contratian positions on issues, rather than reporting them to us and allowing us to form our own opinions...as a means to engage us in their ratings quest.

Exactly. Thing is some of the actual reporting isn't bad. I actually like Breer in his blog. Lots of good information a couple of times a day. And he's prety good on the radio. But then I see his column yesterday (in the Globe) about how Belichick will need to do more than take down photos of old players to win this year. No kidding; I'm sure Belichick appreciates the insight. It's as if some editor told Breer to write something lengthy an with an edge.

A lot of these guys overreach when they take one little tidbit and try to write a whole column around it; but the hook is too weak and these columns meander as they struggle to fill the space.

Bob Ryan is a good example of someone who actually can write a column that holds a valid thought all the way through. Today's "Pay the man" column on Brady was pretty good; not completely original, but he deserves kudos for not forcing an angle.

I really don't think it is. Do the Patriots want him as long as he's productive? Why wouldn't they. Who would want him if he's not?? Would he play if he's not??? Not this guy, he's too competitive and too driven to want to cash a paycheck he isn't earning on his personal back nine. It won't be fun for him once that day comes, and he won't hang on for dear life fighting it, either. He respects Belichick and Kraft and his teamates not to mention himself too much to. If you listen to him you sense he is all about team and winning. He won't put himself above the team EVER, he never has, and that is a huge part of what has made him so special for the last 11 seasons.

Well, I don't expect the Pats to sign him to a 10 year contract either. But, IMO, it's fair to speculate on just how long they plan to sign him. Is it five years? Will he still be playing at a competitive level at 38? These are fair questions to ask and I guarantee you the team is asking them as well.

Well, I don't expect the Pats to sign him to a 10 year contract either. But, IMO, it's fair to speculate on just how long they plan to sign him. Is it five years? Will he still be playing at a competitive level at 38? These are fair questions to ask and I guarantee you the team is asking them as well.

No reason for them to. His guaranteed money will be paid out within the first 3-4 years of what I expect to be a 6 years extension...that will take him to 39. They can always tag a year or two on after the first 2-3 for both cap and control purposes by simply restructuring future salaries into signing bonus. The key is to limit dead cap. You can plan accordingly with a guy you trust because he's earned it not to let the money change him. Tom never has. Last season coming back from the ACL he started 17 games and threw for 4400 yards while battling injuries that would have sent most QB's to IR not to mention problems with his WR's that included injuries and the lack of sufficient quality depth and no #2 opposite Moss. Then of course there were the problems on defense... This team led the league in first half scoring. Thereafter it got a little ugly. Tom has a history of being durable and productive even in less than ideal circumstances. He has given them and us no reason to doubt that will continue to be the case.

Shalise chose the I read what I want to spin this as between the lines approach to covering his press conference because he didn't say enough to force her not to. She cites the fact that he has after all seen what has happened to guys like Milloy and Branch and Seymour here. Yeah, he has, and unlike Shalise he's also figured out why that happened to each of them. Becoming complacent, becoming a negative locker room leader, not playing well through injury, not being all in... Lousy analogies that have no remote similarity to Brady's situation and circumstance unless you are not terribly bright and/or making them just to underscore your agenda. But I've come to expect no less from someone who was so easily snookered by Adalius Thomas...

Brady avoids the rush - The Boston Globe

I stated a while back that Curran had sold out, becoming more about himself and business than in actual reporting. To me, this article is proof of that.

As others have mentioned, we don't have many competent reporters anymore. The only one seems to be Reiss. And I think that he jumped from the Globe to ESPN because of the Globe wanting him to change his reporting in his articles. But that is just me.

It's really too bad that people like Breer, Curran and SMY have gone the route they have because it makes them less readable.. In fact, I get more information from this board than I do from those three... COMBINED. And that's pretty sad.

I stated a while back that Curran had sold out, becoming more about himself and business than in actual reporting. To me, this article is proof of that.

As others have mentioned, we don't have many competent reporters anymore. The only one seems to be Reiss. And I think that he jumped from the Globe to ESPN because of the Globe wanting him to change his reporting in his articles. But that is just me.

It's really too bad that people like Breer, Curran and SMY have gone the route they have because it makes them less readable.. In fact, I get more information from this board than I do from those three... COMBINED. And that's pretty sad.

I remember exchanging emails with curran fairly often back in the day and being so happy that he made the mainstream media. I guess it is like politics though, just instant corruption. Instant sell-out.

Agreed, they are fair questions. The problem is no one knows the answer (you ask "will he still be playing at a competitive level at 38," not "do we hope he will still be playing at a competitive level at 38...")

No matter how much we might hope the answer to your question is "yes," the odds are that he won't be. John Elway gives us hope as the only QB to win an SB (two actually) past the age of 35. Favre, despite the board's general disdain for the Brett show, is also a hopeful sign.

Otherwise, the average retirement age for an SB era QB in Canton is 37.5, and that's not an accident. I did some research on this a while ago and will try to dust it off, but, on average, those guys also all experienced a measurable decline in their performance over the last two years that they played. So, a five year extension with options and incentives past that point is probably not unreasonable.

Last edited:
I happened to notice the following tweet by KFFL regarding Kraft's time on Sirius Radio today. Oddly none of the locals seemed to pick up on it...

Patriots | Owner wants Tom Brady to spend entire career with team

Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:37:23 -0400

New England Patriots team owner Bob Kraft, during an interview on SIRIUS NFL Radio, said his intention is that QB Tom Brady will be with the team for his entire career.

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

Tom "The Dragon" Curran...I mean, he renamed himself "The Dragon"...what's next ..Ron"Marciano's Left Hook" Borges?...we're actually supposed to take these guys' opinion as actual fact??

Tom "The Dragon" Curran...I mean, he renamed himself "The Dragon"...what's next ..Ron"Marciano's Left Hook" Borges?...we're actually supposed to take these guys' opinion as actual fact??
I actually like Tom's work, most of the time. But every now and then, he gets off his meds and offers up stuff like Brady's knee "is loose" (back in the winter of '09) and Bob Kraft is a slave owner and Tom is Kunta Kinte from "Roots" (dating myself there). I mean, "unicorns and rainbows"? Tom, time to e-mail Express Scripts...

Tom needs to review the definition of dismay. If he can't find Logan Mankins to help clarify dismay, this might help:

Reed is set to make $2.814 million this year as the team's franchise player to kick a football. It's almost like he's trying out for the role of Tom Brady's "spoiled athletes, *****ing about making millions of dollars."

"I'm really disappointed . . . extremely . . . little bit bitter," Reed the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That's probably not a good choice of words. I'm not here to burn bridges. I got to play football. I'm not happy, but I'm happy to be with all these guys and be a part of the organization.

"It's one of those things, life is not really fair. I've experienced that a few times in this league."

Yep, this should really help him get that long-term deal.

Jeff Reed calls the Steelers liars | ProFootballTalk.com

Don Banks of SI has a sensible take on the Brady sitch today:

But here in a nutshell is what I think about Brady's deal: It's going to get done. There are only two people who really matter in this case, and it's Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Brady. The rest are peripheral. When push comes to shove, I can't see Kraft wanting to risk being the guy who chased Brady out of New England, where he's a deity. I don't think Kraft wants that as part of his legacy, and I don't think the relationship between Brady and him will ever deteriorate to that point. Brady is going to be a tough businessman this time and get every dime he thinks he has coming. It might even get contentious, but I believe the marriage between No. 12 and New England ultimately will continue.

New England Patriots training camp postcard - Don Banks - SI.com

Well said, Banks. Could be a bit contentious with big money involved, but it will end well.

Last edited:
Well said, Banks. Could be a bit contentious with big money involved, but it will end well.

I don't think it is contentious, I believe they have a framework for both sides in place and are awaiting final numbers...they know what each wants and are waiting to tailor the deal to best fit the team and Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back