PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady seems to know engine's running too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why were the Pats passing at all in that situation? It makes no sense. If BOB called a pass play on that 3rd down then he is just as responsible for the pick as Brady, and had no business getting into it with Brady on the sidelines. It was a bone-headed call: Every time you put the ball in the air you risk a pick, no matter who plays Qb, and the coordinator should have known that.

The only reason BOB would have been justified chewing out Brady is if BOB called a run play, and Brady audibled out of it, then through the pick.

Last edited:
Personally I think the altercation was a simple issue of Bill O Brien sending in the play and Brady not following through and decided to try another route.

I think the play was going to Gronkowski but Brady changed it to a receiver he thought was in a better position to make the play and thus since O'Brien was overruled he took exception and let Brady hear it.

Last edited:
Why were the Pats passing at all in that situation? It makes no sense. If BOB called a pass play on that 3rd down then he is just as responsible for the pick as Brady, and had no business getting into it with Brady on the sidelines. It was a bone-headed call: Every time you put the ball in the air you risk a pick, no matter who plays Qb, and the coordinator should have known that.

The only reason BOB would have been justified chewing out Brady is if BOB called a run play, and Brady audibled out of it, then through the pick.

There was plenty of time left in the game. If you have Tom Brady, if you have Aaron Rodgers, if you have Peyton Manning...you go for the kill. The way your defense is playing, you have to. If the pass is incomplete you kick a field goal. How often does Tom Brady throw a red zone INT? Almost never.

There was plenty of time left in the game. If you have Tom Brady, if you have Aaron Rodgers, if you have Peyton Manning...you go for the kill. The way your defense is playing, you have to. If the pass is incomplete you kick a field goal. How often does Tom Brady throw a red zone INT? Almost never.

Situation is Pats have first and goal from the 6 yard line with 7.17 to play in the 4th Q, up 7 points.

A turnover by the offense puts Washington in position to win the game on a single drive vs the worst defense in the NFL. (via TD and 2 point conversion).

Brady has 10 picks and several fumbles this season. Ben Jarvis has never fumbled in his career.

Running the ball 3 times from the 6 and even failing to score a TD would have put the Pats up 10 with 4.55 to play.

A TD throught the air would have put the Pats up 14 with 6.30 to play.

That extra 1.35 at the end of a game, considering the state of the Pats defense, is meaningful; it is an extra possession you are denying the Redskins offense. It is the equivalent of a defensive stop.

So let's call my worst case scenario (running 3 times without scoring a TD) vs your best case scenario (passing for a TD with 6.30 to play) a wash. And that is disregarding the comparative turnover probabilities mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Yea that exchange was downright strange. It almost seemed forced to an extent.
Personally, I'm not a fan of coaches yelling at players anyway (I hated it when I played sports but thats me) but I just don't see any good coming from BOB & TB screaming at each other or BOB getting hot with TB on the sidelines. I'm not implying that it was unprofessional, just unproductive and unnecessary. With the level of the respect that TB deserves and commands from the players on this team, only two men are in a position to scream at him on the sidelines- Bob Kraft (which would never happen) and BB (who would never do it anyway). I have no problem with BOB ripping into Brady behind closed doors as I do not thing TB is beyond reproach but for an assistant coach to rip into THE team's leader in a public forum is not something that contributes to making this team better then or moving forward.

I saw Brady's post-game presser on WCVB news this AM (not the whole thing but just his comments on what happened) and I agree with the poster in another thread who commented how Brady looked like the cat that swallowed the canary. LOL that's exactly how he looked

When it's a superstar, it gets even more coverage, so I'm not surprised this one is getting some play. I thought Brady did a good job at wratcheting it down yesterday.

Brady fell on his sword like the good soldier Bill has molded him into. That much is clear.

I agree that there should be a chain of command and that's where Brady has to take responsibility for the fight, not BOB. Even though, to a man, I imagine Belichick takes more offense with what his coordinator did in that dustup (given he told him to shut up rather dismissively.)

In the practical sense, it's quite possible that Brady is above BOB in the so-called chain of command. Again, just watching the NFLN stuff, BOB is reduced to clipboard holder at times, and maybe he resents this. He was thrust into a situation where he had little experience playcalling, and was put in with a HOF QB and HOF coach who both know this offense better than anybody. It's going to create an awkward dynamic at times. Now, this might be the actual reality - but it cannot be reflected to the other players, otherwise you risk losing accountability and BOB loses the trust of the other players.

Last edited:
That play was pass from the get go, there was no audibilizing at the line, whether some of you can deal with that situationally or not. And that's not on Brady, that's on the RB's and the OL because they can't convince BB they can be counted on to get the job done and statistically Brady remains his best weapon in all situations.

I think the argument was over BOB in his own frustration (lack of viable 3rd WR option or ground and pound running game for reasons beyond his control as well as Tom's) injecting himself into a situation where Brady was doing what he's been coached to do since he got here, work with the hand you're dealt and correct on-field mistakes in real time through communication in the hopes everyone learns from them and doesn't keep repeating them lest they end up back on the street.

Tom's position more than a decade into this offense is QB/receiver's coach on the field/team leader and face of the franchise. BOB's in his 5th season here is that of a rookie OC, with a largely inexperienced staff, which at this juncture in his career seemingly still limits his duties to implementing a game plan Belichick and Brady largely frame and playcalling and selecting personnel groupings and overseeing and and in some cases developing his young and inexperienced position coaches.

He came here in 2007 as an offensive assistant (aka gopher) with little more than hope and a collegiate resume unrelated to this offense and no one standing between him and his goal save Josh, who was out the door two seasons later. The jury remains out on whether he was the best man for the job or merely the next man up because he was in the right place at the right time. His year 2 job was coaching the WR's...in 2008. His year 3 job was playcaller and QB's coach in 2009...by default. He got the OC title in February of this season...on the heels of a league MVP season by the guy he was screaming at.

Seems to back what we've seen for the past few years. Brady's changed in a couple of ways, and a lower frustration threshold is one of them.

Yup....coincides with the empahsis on O and the continuous downgrade on D. He feels the need to carry the team and rightfully so.

Constant yapping and finger-pointing?

Give me a break, man. The guy is the QB of the team. If players make mistakes, he has to tell them. Outside of his outburst when Aiken & Galloway dropped about 3 passes in a row, please cite me one example where he showed any disrespect towards his teammates.

Welker came back pretty hot after Brady and he had a miscommunication. Why aren't you on Welker for showing up Brady? Belichick flipped out at O'Brien in a game in his first year as playcaller, where's the Belichick hate? Or how about McDaniels tirade against BB going into the locker at halftime.

If the players & coaches thought O'Brien wasn't going over the edge a little bit, then why did Hoyer step in, even before things got nasty? Why did Belichick & O'Shea try to diffuse O'Brien??

If you can look at a video of several players & coaches trying to stop O'Brien from going bezerk and draw a conclusion that Brady's teammates wanted that outburst to happen, then you may have to reconsider your own frame of mind.

And I got news for you, this isn't the first time O'Brien has gone off, and it won't be the last. He is a fiery guy in practice, I've seen it at camp and that's why Hoyer got up and blocked O'Brien.

Your overall point - that O'Brien earned himself some credibility simply for going after the highest guy on the team - might have some truth. But the rest of your point - like all of your points - is muddied by a strong, transparent bias against this team's quarterback.

No offense, but lost in all this stupidity is that, um...O'Brien is really not that great on an OC. Sorry.

In all my time watching Tom Brady after an interception he was like the antichrist. Usually he is left alone and slams his helmet and/or kicks over a bottle or two. I can only imagine that the reason for this is because he would rant and rave if people went over to him. So there is nothing new in his behaviour for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back