PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady 'almost certainly' gone before 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Brady will be gone when Brady wants to go."......

You think Kraft will overrule BB if it comes to that in 3 years?.......I don't

just my opinion
Not at all. I just think BB knows how good Brady is, and I don't see a major decline in his play any time soon. That what matters most to BB. I think the tie between the 2 is that strong. Brady's almost like a coach on the team. His leadership qualities are huge. You very well may be right. But, that's the way I see it. And hope it pans out that way. Signed, Super Homer.:)

Why would you get a laugh out of something as such? Belichick has shown that he is willing to replace everyone the moment he has a younger, better prospect. This isn't out of the ordinary. That said, I find it difficult to imagine that Belichick pulls the trigger on Brady. Quarterback is unlike any other position in sport. Pancho will have to be something to supplant Brady.

you're right.....thats a little tacky of me......but i do think BB will pull the trigger on Brady when the time comes.......Father Time is undefeated.....even against elite QBs

Not at all. I just think BB knows how good Brady is, and I don't see a major decline in his play any time soon. That what matters most to BB. I think the tie between the 2 is that strong. Brady's almost like a coach on the team. His leadership qualities are huge. You very well may be right. But, that's the way I see it. And hope it pans out that way. Signed, Super Homer.:)

I have to admit that I agree with what you say here as well.

I think it's based on 2 things: 1) Jimmy G looking better than some thought and 2) the recent trade of Mankins reminding everyone that Belichick makes shrewd business moves and will always do what's best for the team.

However--sometimes what's best for the team is allowing your once-in-a-franchise QB to retire as a "true Patriot." In my opinion, it'd be much more likely for them to give Tom the heads up and allow him to retire at the end of a great run. He's not just another value player.

I'm sure there are reasonable arguments against this. I'm just giving one side of it, which also happens to be my opinion. I think he stays, as long as there's not a major dropoff in his play.

Curran can occasionally be stupid, e.g. when he said Paul Pierce was a soft player. (And he wasn't simply drunk-tweeting that; I called him on it and he stood by it.)

That said, this general opinion isn't stupid, but the column also does nothing to seriously defend it. What's more, the exact form of the argument IS stupid -- "almost certainly" should have been reduced to something like "most likely" for the opinion to be reasonably supportable.

Personally, I'm in the "quite possibly" camp; I won't go higher than that right now, because Brady not only could be but actually has a good shot at being the guy who ages better than any other quarterback in history.

you're right.....thats a little tacky of me......but i do think BB will pull the trigger on Brady when the time comes.......Father Time is undefeated.....even against elite QBs
Brady's play will determine whether or not Belichick pulls the trigger. Milloy, Seymour, Mankins etc. showed a decline in their level of performance and from memory, were asked to re-work their contracts to meet perceived performance.

I'm sure Bill will make the right decision when it's necessary but it will be because Brady is in a serious decline and/or his successor is clearly better than him.

Curran can occasionally be stupid, e.g. when he said Paul Pierce was a soft player. (And he wasn't simply drunk-tweeting that; I called him on it and he stood by it.)

That said, this general opinion isn't stupid, but the column also does nothing to seriously defend it. What's more, the exact form of the argument IS stupid -- "almost certainly" should have been reduced to something like "most likely" for the opinion to be reasonably supportable.

Personally, I'm in the "quite possibly" camp; I won't go higher than that right now, because Brady not only could be but actually has a good shot at being the guy who ages better than any other quarterback in history.

good points......i dont disagree.......but what makes you think that Brady will age better than any other QB in history?

Brady's play will determine whether or not Belichick pulls the trigger. Milloy, Seymour, Mankins etc. showed a decline in their level of performance and from memory, were asked to re-work their contracts to meet perceived performance.

I'm sure Bill will make the right decision when it's necessary but it will be because Brady is in a serious decline and/or his successor is clearly better than him.

Good point in reminding us of the request for lesser contracts as part of their dismissal. I just have a feeling that there is a mutual respect, and that Brady falls into a bit of a different category.

Any other QB in the league and our team goes 9-7 last year, maybe 10-6 at best with a QB like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers. I don't believe that Drew Brees would've gotten them any better than 9-7 with that piss poor receiving corps. Tom Brady worked a miracle last year. Guys like that are truly once in a lifetime.

good points......i dont disagree.......but what makes you think that Brady will age better than any other QB in history?

Understanding that we're just speculating, James---I believe that Brady has the opportunity to age better than any other QB due to the fact that he's constantly in tip-top shape, isn't really asked to do much aside from slide around in the pocket and throw the ball (in an athletic sense), and most of all....

Our offensive scheme that is predicated on getting rid of the ball quickly in short-to-intermediate routes.

All of those things should equate to TFB being able to play for another 3-4 yrs in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Understanding that we're just speculating, James---I believe that Brady has the opportunity to age better than any other QB due to the fact that he's constantly in tip-top shape, isn't really asked to do much aside from slide around in the pocket and throw the ball (in an athletic sense), and most of all....

Our offensive scheme that is predicated on getting rid of the ball quickly in short-to-intermediate routes.

All of those things should equate to TFB being able to play for another 3-4 yrs in my opinion.

fair enough.....

Not to mention that Brady's mechanics appear to be flawless. Watching Pancho against the Giants demonstrated the difference between a work in progress and potentially the greatest QB to ever grace the face of the planet.

A qb goes 22/42 with a qb rating of 71.9. So some moron concludes brady is gone before his contract is up?

What part of Bizarro world am I in?

I believe you are in Bradyland.....j/k......:p

1. He's better than any or almost any other QB in history.
2. Sports medicine, training, etc. keep getting better and ...
3. ... to the extent that the choice is within his purview, Brady seems open to always trying the latest and greatest self-improvement options.
4. The reporting that suggests he's kept his focus and dedication are persuasive. He in no way seems burnt out.
5. The evidence of Brady having lost much to age so far is very sparse. (My guess: He's lost a bit of physical and/or mental quickness in avoiding the rush, and that's the main area of decline.) Similarly, I'm not aware of any identifiable chronic condition such as Manning's neck, many guys' knees or backs, or many guys' concussions.

fair enough.....

Not meaning to try and sound like a know-it-all, buddy. In the end, you may be right.

I'm just pointing out the reasoning for my opinion. Only time will tell the answer, but I do think (right or wrong) that TFB should be in a better position than those who he'll be compared to in the same age bracket, which is around 40-41 or so.

I don't believe that guys like Marino, Favre, Warner were constantly pushing themselves as workout warriors, or winning their team's "parking lot award" for the best workouts in the offseason, etc. I think they relied on their pure talent, and rode that until it wore out. I would think that Brady has the opportunity to best their efforts by an additional year or two.

Not to mention that Brady's mechanics appear to be flawless. Watching Pancho against the Giants demonstrated the difference between a work in progress and potentially the greatest QB to ever grace the face of the planet.

i agree that Jimmy G showed that he still has a ways to go....time will tell......we'll see next preseason......i liked the way mallett looked that first preseason.....i just thought that he never got better

just my opinion

I believe you are in Bradyland.....j/k......:p
I love it here, man. He's brought a lot of great games to my living room :)

Come on over, we'll have a few beverages and enjoy some great play.

But, aside from a word I don't want to mention, I just think with the fitness levels of players these days that they can play into their 40s (unless they are running qb's).

Joe Montana was by no means an "athletic" dude, but he was able to play until 38, that was 20 years ago.

I hope BB drafted the next Brady or better with Gar, but I think predictions of such are just absurdly specualtive.

I love it here, man. He's brought a lot of great games to my living room :)

Come on over, we'll have a few beverages and enjoy some great play.

But, aside from a word I don't want to mention, I just think with the fitness levels of players these days that they can play into their 40s (unless they are running qb's).

Joe Montana was by no means an "athletic" dude, but he was able to play until 38, that was 20 years ago.

I hope BB drafted the next Brady or better with Gar, but I think predictions of such are just absurdly specualtive.

well said......i agree with most of what you are saying......if the word you dont want to mention is "modern chemistry"....then i agree that will help him relative to past QBs......and this is just assuming that tons of pro athletes in all sports are using modern chemistry to help them defy aging.......not saying i know brady is one of these.....just purely hypothetical.....:D

Last edited:
1. He's better than any or almost any other QB in history.
2. Sports medicine, training, etc. keep getting better and ...
3. ... to the extent that the choice is within his purview, Brady seems open to always trying the latest and greatest self-improvement options.
4. The reporting that suggests he's kept his focus and dedication are persuasive. He in no way seems burnt out.
5. The evidence of Brady having lost much to age so far is very sparse. (My guess: He's lost a bit of physical and/or mental quickness in avoiding the rush, and that's the main area of decline.) Similarly, I'm not aware of any identifiable chronic condition such as Manning's neck, many guys' knees or backs, or many guys' concussions.
Not meaning to try and sound like a know-it-all, buddy. In the end, you may be right.

I'm just pointing out the reasoning for my opinion. Only time will tell the answer, but I do think (right or wrong) that TFB should be in a better position than those who he'll be compared to in the same age bracket, which is around 40-41 or so.

I don't believe that guys like Marino, Favre, Warner were constantly pushing themselves as workout warriors, or winning their team's "parking lot award" for the best workouts in the offseason, etc. I think they relied on their pure talent, and rode that until it wore out. I would think that Brady has the opportunity to best their efforts by an additional year or two.

I dont disagree with what you guys are saying.......as far as i know the only qbs to play at a high level in their 40s were Favre and maybe, Moon.....and i think those guys had more robust and stout builds than brady does.....when guys age, it seems to be the legs that go.....then the pocket presence......and before you know it they are a sitting duck statue back there making bad decisions and throws......i think bradys natural body type (thin and lanky) works against him relative to Favre and Moon......i think his intelligence and quick release style of play works in his favor.....

time will tell.......just my opinion

Wait, I thought Brady was supposed to most certainly be gone by now because the Patriots used a third round draft pick on a QB in 2011.

I'm sensing déjà vu.

Brady will decide when and where he's ready to hang it up. If you think BB respects the veteran JAG, what do you think he would do for Brady? Dump him a week before the season? No way. And do you really think TB would go play for a team like Jacksonville after some veteran salary dump/trade instead of just retiring unless he really wanted to play there? Heck, he might just take the pay cut and be the NE back-up and ride into the sunset here. Again up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes