PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Brady 'almost certainly' gone before 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will wait until I actually see some signs that Brady is declining before I start thinking about who will replace him, however the Patriots don't have that luxury and Belichick is always planning for the future. I don't believe Belichick sees Garrapolo as Brady's successor so much as he sees him as the next man up if he needs to replace him in the next couple of years. I think he would have to actually see major progress before he would even start to look at him as a future successor.

Brady discusses his retirement date:

“I love playing for this team and I love representing this team and hopefully I can do that for as long as I can. When I suck, I’ll retire. But I don’t plan on sucking for a long time. So hopefully that leads me to being here and there’s no place I’d rather be. I love this game and I love working hard at it. I've had a lot of people over the years tell me the things I couldn't do and I think that’s always been great motivation for me to try to go out there an accomplish things that I think I can do so hopefully I can continue to play at a really high level for a long period of time."​

Tom Brady on How Long He'll Play Football: 'When I Suck, I'll Retire - Extra Points - Boston.com

The passing O will undoubtedly made strides this season from last, for all the obvious reasons. However, I'm content to withhold any judgment about Brady's "decline" until next year, where Thompkins, Dobson, & Wright will be in their third seasons (along with possibly Tyms or Boyce), the notorious "break-out" year for receivers. I for one think Brady is going to absolutely light it up in 2015...

cant wait to hear what michael felger has to say on this later......he's really the best authority on the pats......it would be worth y'alls time to give it a listen......

Brady's contract runs through 2017, but if Garoppolo continues to develop at his current pace, the Patriots will need to make a decision much sooner than that.

The clock is ticking

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-brady-almost-certainly-gone-2017

No offense to Curran, but this is a pretty disingenuous "slant"

The key word here is "if" - in Curran's own words

IF Garoppolo is as good as Brady is in 2017 or (or even prior) then YES - the Partiots would likely do what the Colts did - opting for a franchise QB for the next 15 years rather than a franchise QB for the next 2 years, as Brady will then be 39

When he says "the decision has already been made" - he is correct. Neither Belichick nor Kraft expect Brady to play til he's 50. The "decision has been made" as Curran says, that once the backup QB (which may or may not be Garroppolo) is as good or better than Brady, the younger guy gets the job, with Curran being "reminded" by the Mankins situation (did any of us need such a reminder?)

There is "no news" here - this is just Curran's attempt to get some national PFT play for stating the obvious in a very disingenuous headline grabbing way.

I expected more from Curran.

cant wait to hear what michael felger has to say on this later......he's really the best authority on the pats......it would be worth y'alls time to give it a listen......

Most hilarious post of the season thus far. Well done!

No offense to Curran, but this is a pretty disingenuous "slant"

The key word here is "if" - in Curran's own words

IF Garoppolo is as good as Brady is in 2017 or (or even prior) then YES - the Partiots would likely do what the Colts did - opting for a franchise QB for the next 15 years rather than a franchise QB for the next 2 years, as Brady will then be 39

When he says "the decision has already been made" - he is correct. Neither Belichick nor Kraft expect Brady to play til he's 50. The "decision has been made" as Curran says, that once the backup QB (which may or may not be Garroppolo) is as good or better than Brady, the younger guy gets the job, with Curran being "reminded" by the Mankins situation (did any of us need such a reminder?)

There is "no news" here - this is just Curran's attempt to get some national PFT play for stating the obvious in a very disingenuous headline grabbing way.

I expected more from Curran.

Agree with all of this, but I'd just add that decisions can change too. Curran may have some sort of inside source that is 100% correct right now, but decisions change all the time based on numerous factors.

We signed Mankins to a 6-year deal, then traded him halfway through. We signed Bledsoe to a 10-year deal, then traded him a year later. We made decisions that at the time were the correct ones, but things changed and then other decisions had to be made.

We all have an idea of how things are going to go, and we're all constantly proven wrong. Even predicting what I'm going to do tonight isn't guaranteed, let alone a decision 4 years from now.

Jimmy might want to get paid like a starter in 4 years, his development might slow down, or Brady might be the next Warren Moon and play until he's 45 or something. Do you think the team will just stick to it's guns based on a decision they made 4 years ago? I truly appreciate how BB is so willing to be the first to point to himself when mistakes are made, and to also do what's best for the team regardless of ego.

The team may have some idea of how things are going to go, or how they want them to go, but there's no need to make any type of decision on it today and there's really no benefit to figuring it out today either. The process will play out, and nobody, including Brady and Jimmy, know how it's going to end up.

Agree with all of this, but I'd just add that decisions can change too. Curran may have some sort of inside source that is 100% correct right now, but decisions change all the time based on numerous factors.

We signed Mankins to a 6-year deal, then traded him halfway through. We signed Bledsoe to a 10-year deal, then traded him a year later. We made decisions that at the time were the correct ones, but things changed and then other decisions had to be made.

We all have an idea of how things are going to go, and we're all constantly proven wrong. Even predicting what I'm going to do tonight isn't guaranteed, let alone a decision 4 years from now.

Jimmy might want to get paid like a starter in 4 years, his development might slow down, or Brady might be the next Warren Moon and play until he's 45 or something. Do you think the team will just stick to it's guns based on a decision they made 4 years ago? I truly appreciate how BB is so willing to be the first to point to himself when mistakes are made, and to also do what's best for the team regardless of ego.

The team may have some idea of how things are going to go, or how they want them to go, but there's no need to make any type of decision on it today and there's really no benefit to figuring it out today either. The process will play out, and nobody, including Brady and Jimmy, know how it's going to end up.

Well, you've just proven you've got more insight into Patriots decision making than Curran does.

You are stating the obvious. This all apparently only just occurred to Curran

The only way this is "news" is if Curran asked someone in the organization - "Hey - if Garoppolo gets better than Brady, and looks like he's the next franchise QB, would you keep him for 15 years or keep Brady for 2?"

The bottom line is that Garoppolo isn't quite ready for Canton based on a few pre-season games just yet. But IF, as Curran says, he's better than Brady in a few years I think we all have long known what decision the organization is going to make.

But again, there's really just no news here, aside from the fact that Curran is only just figuring this all out in the wake of the Mankins trade (duh!)

Rodney disagrees:

“Tom Brady is probably talking about him playing until he’s 45, 50 years old because of the rule changes,” Harrison said. “The cornerbacks and the safeties, they can’t hit you when you come across the middle, they can’t jam you at the line of scrimmage. So he should be able to play for another 10 or 15 years because of the rule changes.”

It Is What It Is >> Rodney Harrison: Tom Brady 'should be able to play for another 10 or 15 years because of the rule changes'

Cool. In 15 years Jimmy Garoppolo will be 37, and we can speculate about whether he can play for another 10-15 years. Pipeline, baby.

Rodney disagrees:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/09/02/rodney-harrison-tom-brady-should-be-able-to-play-for-another-10-or-15-years-because-of-the-rule-changes/

Cool. In 15 years Jimmy Garoppolo will be 37, and we can speculate about whether he can play for another 10-15 years. Pipeline, baby.

I'll believe those "rule changes" when I see it. I know protecting the QB is in a different category but ask Wes Welker if defenders are no longer hitting as hard due to concerns over concussions.

The preseason always brings a lot of flags - once the real season starts the Footlocker employees tend to let football players play football

Felger and Mazz have Bedard on today......good stuff

fair enough.....im actually part of the fanbase that wants to be able to say, "See, I told you BB was this great".........i have absolutely nothing against Brady at all......i hope he wins the SB the next two years......but I want to see BB show that he is a Mount Rushmore coach.....and that will only happen inarguably if he wins post Brady.....and BB is not getting any younger

just my opinion

There are four guys on Mount Rushmore, so I assume you're suggesting that BB needs to win an SB without TB to be considered among the small handful of NFL Coaches who are arguably the greatest of all time.

I disagree with that suggestion.

Coaches who are on the short list for the GOAT and who arguable belong on the NFL's "Mount Rushmore" have one big thing in common: they all did it with one QB: Lombardi? All six NFL Championships with Bart Starr...and they still named the Trophy after him. Brown? All ten (yikes!) with Otto Graham. Noll? All four with Bradshaw. Walsh? All four with Joe.

So, no one is going to put Belichick on or off that list because he won his League Championships (even a fourth!) with one QB.

Trying to gauge the impact of winning an SB with another QB on a final assessment of Belichick's career is a hypothetical exercise because of the many factors that might or might not come into play in winning that title. Could it be regarded as significant? Sure. Could it be regarded as incidental to an outcome about which we are all now just guessing? Sure.

Felger and Mazz with "good" = an oxymoron. However, in all fairness I have seen others on other sites offer the same opinion.

I'm just worried about the game in Miami...the NEXT game...it's all you really CAN worry about because it's "anything can happen day" every gameday in the NFL. You just cannot know if,in 2017, he or anyone else is still in the league.

It's amazing that the week before one of the most potentially promising Patriots seasons of the BB-era is about to begin, they spend 2+ hours talking about life after Brady with a giddy/urgent tone of basically rushing him out the door for Garoppolo.

Maybe you guys ought to slow down. My source tells me that Brady bet Curran that if this thread hits 500 posts he'll retire. If it doesn't, Curran has to take his act to Cleveland and cover Johnny Clipboard for the rest of his career.

the weird part is some parts of the fanbase actually want to see this happen so they can wallow in misery and say "see? I told you Belechick was no good!"...just like they do year after year. I love Tom Brady. I will always love what he did as a Patriot. If he moves on like Willie and Ty and Adam...thems the facts of life in Big Boy World...I'm not going to sit in a dark corner sucking my thumb crying "why? why? why?".

I will definitely be sitting in the dark corner sucking my thumb crying "why? why? why?" when/if this happens. No matter what the reason (trade, retirement, release) it will be the end of a magical era for me.

Edit - I think most of this post agrees w/most posters here - it only looks combative cuz it's a rant.

Packers fan seem okay with Aaron Rodgers. Let's get one a them :)

Seriously guys, this special era will end. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of our lives. I still pray he doesn't end up trotting around as a Jet or even a Titan or something for a while first... which could happen if he doesn't think he sucks yet. But yes, from all indications, he's got a few good years left. His statistical anomaly last year -- regressing to 25 TDs, 11 Int.s -- still puts his numbers up there with the good-but-not-elite guys. I think he does bounce back this year somewhat.

I disagree that we should be holding in abeyance any thoughts of decline until 2015. We have a downish year on the books, and to follow it with a second consecutive one, will set my expectation level going forward. I can be pleasantly surprised mind you, but I prefer to think about his performance as it really is... not remembering and hoping. So if there's a weak year this year, I'm not hanging my hat on developing receivers going into their magical third year. Edelman's old enough, Amendola's old enough, however much Gronk we have is just fine. If he goes down, next man up.

The Tom Brady (Peace Be Upon Him) we really admire got SBs with the like of Deion Branch and David Givens. Let's get our heads straight about blaming the lack-o-targets. You always want the best ones you can get. But in the short lifespan of football, one year is an anomaly, and a second straight year of similar performance is a "trend." Doesn't mean he can't "bounce back," but TFB (PBUH) is not the team.

One more coda - one "elite" piece of Brady (PBUH) will always be there while physical performance declines to "good" -- that's the character part, his ability to lead. That makes me think he may "not suck" one of these days, but still not be the best option in BB's eyes.

Just early-morning wool-gathering. I think such considerations are still years away. The terrible, terrible level he "descended" to last year is still peachy by most teams' standards. If the worst happens, and that is a plateau rather than a drop-off before a bounce-back, I'm still okay with that, particularly with the improving D.

But I'll reluctantly recognize where we are, if that is the case.

Big fat caveat: I'm expecting the bounceback this year, by the way. I just don't believe in saying "Just wait until every condition is perfect, he'll show 'em!"

Oh and final final final thought - you want GOAT bragging rights for Brady (PBUH)? Get him another ring, no matter who does the heavy lifting. He's got a top 10 defense on his side, he's probably going to perform as a top 5 quarterback, Gronk is an elite TE when healthy, and Edelman is like Welker except without the noggin problems and the 4-game suspension. We've got Amendola, which everybody just sort of disregards... there's plenty to work with. Yes, we lost a lineman. But there's not that much to kvetch about personnel-wise.

It's a team game, and I want this team to get one more ring. Yeah then you have a claim in the GOAT conversation for Brady (PBUH), whoop de doo. And hey Brady (PBUH) might stay 5 more years... hey maybe even longer. I know in the back of your mind you're pointing at Peyton and saying "Tom is Peyton minus 2 years." It's not about that - it's about seeing Brady (PBUH) as what he is. And beyond that... forget about "Brady magic." That was "Patriots magic" in the SB years... TFB (PBUH) was a big part of it, and will be again if we regain it. That's what I'm hoping for.

But last year, a "down year," he threw 25 TDs and 11 Int.s, 4343 yards... in 2003, 23 TDs, 12 int.s, 3,620 passing yards. Before the Moss/Welker years, he was never a stat whoreterback. How many 30 TD seasons prior to the Moss/Welker move? Zero. How many 4000 yard passing seasons prior to 2007? One, in 2005.

Let's remember this team's roots, and not start with the "wait until he has better receiver" excuses. We've all been here before... back when Manning was the regular season king and we won the SB all the time. Who needs it. What we need - as difficult as it may be to get - is another Lombardi or two.

BB clearly saw his best play as creating a top-5 secondary. That's not a function of "what would you rather have" so much as "given the possibilities what moves are you making." But once again, how did we get there back in the day? Balance. The beauty of balance is you don't have to put the team on one guy's back and make a big fat hero out of him. You let him be a big fat hero for his role in the team accomplishment. The QB gets the glory, but McGinnest, Bruschi, hell even the kicker whose name need not be mentioned got their share too.

All that said, yes, I hope for a zillion TDs for TFB (PBUH) and three more SB rings and yes I know the passing game, according to conventional wisdom, just got another big bump. Okay that's another big emphasis on passing, but within the ultimate team game. I actually agree that TFB will be one of the elite guys again this year and will benefit from it.

But guys - I just needed to get it off my chest that if TFB (PBUH) is just statistically a QB who will win the game for you... that would be just fine. Especially if, as is unlikely for any team in any year, he wins us another game-at-the-very-end.

Okay core dump over.

Last edited:
It's amazing that the week before one of the most potentially promising Patriots seasons of the BB-era is about to begin, they spend 2+ hours talking about life after Brady with a giddy/urgent tone of basically rushing him out the door for Garoppolo.

It's how they operate. With the Red Sox in the playoffs last year, topics like "They're not going to be able to afford this guy" and "What's the team going to look like in 2014?" were popular. Don't appreciate the present, just move on to the next potential crisis/controversy.

I don't see what all the excitement is about.

Curran stated the obvious truth, the obvious truth that we do not want to contemplate.

IF AND ONLY IF, there is a young quarterback on the team who is consistently able to play as well as Brady, then the team will move on from Brady.

Brady has indicated that he has not intention to retire until he "sux".
=============

All that is great. Now, we can ignore the issue. We expect Brady to play though this contract and perhaps another. And for the next four years, we have a backup who can step in if he is needed.

For me, we can address this issue again in a couple of years, when Brady is 2 years older and Pancho has a couple years of experience, and the decision should be made with regarding to extending his contract, or add another choice or two to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes