PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran article on Jets tampering

On the NFLN this AM, one of the anchors was interviewing Bill's friend Charlie Casserly about the Marshall trade, and when asked what else the Jesters need to do in free agency now that they have a legit #1 WR,
the subject of CB was brought-up because of the lack of real progress by Dee Milliner; Charlie responded
by saying that "they are at the point of finding somebody else, there's no doubt about that, okay?", and laughed as he finished.

Well Charlie, there's no doubt in my mind that you have been told by the Jesters themselves what their
intentions are regarding a player still under contract to a despised division rival, okay?

I think its very naive to imagine the league is not in cahoots with the media when they need to be.

Sure, we've been fed the line about the 'lonewolf' Kensil operating on his own - but if the NFL intended to damage the Patriots in the lead up to the Supwrbowl (again!) it certainly went the right way about things.

The drip, drip leaks - the wording of the NFL statement to imply wrongdoing.

I've also heard the narrative about the new commish who wanted to stamp his authority on the league - hence CameraPlacementGate -

What if that isn't true?

What if the majority of NFL owners, in cahoots with JetDell, are making it their business to impose parity on the league by any means necessary.

It makes sense that a lot of teams are sick of the Patriots winning so often - any move that discredits the Patriots is immediately greeted with glee by fans of opposing teams, players of opposing teams and owners of opposing teams.

I can only imagine how much extra anger I would be carrying on this issue if the Patriots hadn't won the SB.

The league definitely has some influence over what their network partners say. Encouraging ESPN to cancel the Playmakers TV show happened a while ago, but, more recently, the ESPN pulled out of the League of Denial concussion documentary, allegedly at the league's urging. We also heard Michaels and Collinsworth read that prepared statement defending Goodell and the Mueller report during the Patriots-Ravens divisional playoff game this year.

I'm not saying that the NFL controls everything people on NBC, ESPN, Fox, etc say about the league, but they can throw their weight around when they want to. If they wanted a more even-handed narrative to be broadcast for this story or if they wanted it squashed altogether, they could have made it happen. As for why they let things play out the way they did in the media, we don't know (and probably never will) if that was intentional or the league just didn't think they needed to intervene.

Savvy ****ing move by the jets.

If they trade away all of their low draft picks, there will be nothing left for the league to take once they get punished so all itll be is a small fine.

Savvy ****ing move by the jets.

If they trade away all of their low draft picks, there will be nothing left for the league to take once they get punished so all itll be is a small fine.

IDK, they will likely just force the Jets to give up a higher pick and make the Pats give up more in compensation in return. If the decision is to swap 5th and now the Jets don't have a fifth. The Pats may get their fourth and then give up a 4th and 5th for their fourth (or something like that).

IDK, they will likely just force the Jets to give up a higher pick and make the Pats give up more in compensation in return. If the decision is to swap 5th and now the Jets don't have a fifth. The Pats may get their fourth and then give up a 4th and 5th for their fourth (or something like that).

I think we all know based on previous outcomes, the jets are not going to be so unlucky.

I think we all know based on previous outcomes, the jets are not going to be so unlucky.
Top 3 player at his position, division rival, already formally warned re tampering this season.

Previous punishment for far less blatant infringement; swap of fifths, loss of seventh. Swapping fourths plus a fine and calling it a day seems to be a reasonable, historically justified punishment. If Revis ends up in NY, I expect Kraft goes nuclear, creating a long overdue **** storm of epic proportions.

John Clayton is reporting the Patriots are interested in Bradon Marshall. If the Pats leaked that to Clayton, it is no different than the Jets leaking to Manish Mehta that Woody Johnson really wants Revis at all cost. I am only addressing this aspect of people's argument that this particular report is tampering. Not Johnson's comments.
The day the Patriots leak anything to Clayton is the day BB declares he's winning the SB, isn't here to kiss Rex's rings and heads off to have a gol danged snack!

colvin is my hero

Rosevelt Colvin @rcolvin3 · 5m 5 minutes ago
So its LEGAL 2 CHEAT 4 a period of time & no1 is on @Espn crying about it? @ProFootballTalk: 3-day legal tampering period starts tmrw
1f633.png
1f601.png
1f62e.png

Here is what Florio wrote tonight about Revis:

The Revis camp likely will know what other teams would pay Revis, if he becomes a free agent. Technically tampering, it’s become common for agents to “gauge the market” when faced with a Door No. 1/Door No. 2 dilemma.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/pats-revis-talks-havent-happened-yet-but-will-soon/

Tampering is common practice in the NFL. Like it or not, the league looks the other way when it comes to tampering. Yes, it is hypocrisy to go after other forms of cheating at the same level (allegations deflating footballs), but every team tampers and the league just allows it and everyone knows it is going on.

Here is what Florio wrote tonight about Revis:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/pats-revis-talks-havent-happened-yet-but-will-soon/

Tampering is common practice in the NFL. Like it or not, the league looks the other way when it comes to tampering. Yes, it is hypocrisy to go after other forms of cheating at the same level (allegations deflating footballs), but every team tampers and the league just allows it and everyone knows it is going on.
Most times it is subtle and sub rosa so the league can look the other way and pretend it never happened. Woody's comments were blatant and flew in the face of that. While the league can ignore behind the scenes tampering, it can"t do that when an owner commits textbook tampering unless they want to set one bad precedent.

I don't blame posters for griping about it, I have done my share of griping, but the harsh reality is the griping is all but futile. The issue with the NFL execs and the media (and by extension, the public mob) is not changing over this. The public conversation and societal norms are made in significant part by the influence of the knee jerk, over emotional mob. And whether a cause of or a reaction to this mob(both IMHO), we have an extremely widespread media that stokes and inculcates the mob with its own knee jerk, over emotional thoughts/ideas.
The executive management of the NFL is trying to be a favored member of the widespread media. The widespread media is trying be a favored member of this mob. So, ultimately, trying to win the favor of the illogical, over emotional mob and media, it is almost certain to result in acts/statements of unfairness, hypocrisy, thoughtlessness, silliness just to win this favor. And the longer they try to win this favor the more egregious the acts/words are likely to be.

It's a problem that goes way beyond the obvious absurdity of the NFL not sanctioning the Jets, or the Media being so obviously hypocritical. IMHO it's best to enjoy the excellent sport/entertainment the Patriots provide, turn off ESPN and NBC et al, stick to places like patsfans or sites that have few knuckleheads, and let the mob and media's house of cards knock itself down. ((Damn it really is the offseason! :)))

Most times it is subtle and sub rosa so the league can look the other way and pretend it never happened. Woody's comments were blatant and flew in the face of that. While the league can ignore behind the scenes tampering, it can"t do that when an owner commits textbook tampering unless they want to set one bad precedent.
And he was previously warned. If situations were reversed the media and NFL would be going for blood.

Wanting the hammer of justice to strike other teams with the same furor that it strikes ours is reasonable. Knowing that it won't is why the league is a joke. Rationalizing this silliness is just being contradictory.

The Jets are guity of the equivalent of jaywalking. I am sure they will lose their late round pick and the Pats will be swapping 5th rounders with them and it will be properly punished. ]

What do people want the league to do? Take their first rounder and fine them a million dollars?

Pats fans want the Jets to be punished for breaking a league rule twice in less than a year. The bigger the fine the better. I don't know what the rest of you want the league to do.

My problem : BB says this and people go crazy asap. Anyone else says this and no one cares.

I hardly care about the comments, as I agree with those who are stating that a player and his agent usually know what is out there waiting for them. But I am fed up of the immediate outrage everyone goes on about anytime BB sneezes.

Pats fans want the Jets to be punished for breaking a league rule twice in less than a year. The bigger the fine the better. I don't know what the rest of you want the league to do.

Don't speak for all Pats fans. I want to see the Jets crash and burn every year, but I don't want to see the league dole out unfair punishments even to the Jets.

Don't speak for all Pats fans. I want to see the Jets crash and burn every year, but I don't want to see the league dole out unfair punishments even to the Jets.

Like Spygate?

Goody and his team are erratic at defining what is/isn't fair. In some instances punishment has been beyond severe. In others the league has been very casual.

What is fair punishment for an owner who has demonstrated a track record of implying how much he is willing to pay for players that are under contract with other teams? How does the league define fairness?

Last edited:
I do.

The fact of the matter is this : They have to be sanctioned based on the 2 rulings during the Goodell era. In all reality the Jets should be barred from trying to sign him period just because of this fact. All contracts must be approved by the league.

How in the world could they not sanction the Jets regarding one specific player being lobbied for in an open public forum by an owner and then turn around and OK a contract to the same player being signed by the same team that committed the infraction? After the evidence of previous rulings as an example being out there it would be absolute hypocrisy of the highest order.

Is OK, everybody does it. The league shouldn't be wasting it's time on this when it has truly important issues like ball pressure to focus upon. And it would a travesty of justice to sanction the jets for something so trivial.I would hate to see such a wonderful franchise treated unfairly. That would suck.

Like Spygate?

Goody and his team are erratic at defining what is/isn't fair. In some instances punishment has been beyond severe. In others the league has been very casual.

What is fair punishment for an owner who has demonstrated a track record of implying how much he is willing to pay for players that are under contract with other teams? How does the league define fairness?

I think Spygate was unfair . Bountygate was unfair. I don't want this trend to continue.

I think a fair punishment for the Jets is like what the Lions got. The Jets should lose a 7th and swap a midround pick with the Pats. That is the price for Johnson's stupidity. Because he could be negotiating a contract right now with Revis' agent with no punishment even though it is tampering. That is what every other team that is interested in Revis is doing. From the sounds of it, the only team not negotiating with Revis thus far is the Patriots.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back