PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran article on HGH from 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
This is an article from Projo from 2005...I have tried to find a link to this, but there is nothing available to link it..

It's I think an important article given the situation with Harrison and the sudden spotlight of HGH. Curran was way ahead of things with this article..and it brings up many points about it.

Growth Hormone Efficient, Evasive

What HGH can do for athletes and the fact that it's virtually undetectable combine to make it arguably
the most tempting performance enhancer out there.

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, April 10, 2005

BY TOM E. CURRAN
-----Journal Sports Writer-----

Here's the choice. You're 21. You have a chance at earning a half-million in the NFL if you take something called human growth hormone (HGH). On the other hand, you have a guarantee of working as a bouncer while you finish your degree and a list of alumni names who may or may not be interested in helping you find a job now that you don't actually, you know, play football anymore. Which seems like the better option?

How about this one. You're 29. You have a year left on your contract. The next contract, the one that will set you and your family for life, might come next year. Or it might not. Because lately you feel just a half-step slower, not as strong. It's harder to recover from a Sunday afternoon's worth of simulated car crashes. Do you take HGH to ensure that mega-contract or do you resign yourself to the fact that your professional career is nearing an end before your third decade on the planet begins?

One more. You're a by-the-book person and proud of it. But in your line of work, you know that there are guys skirting the rules, using HGH. Guys who want your job. Guys you compete against on Sundays. You know there's no way they're going to get found out. And you know there's no way you'll be found out if you skirt the rules, too. Do you attempt to level the playing field? Or do you allow yourself to stay in what you perceive to be a professional disadvantage and play by the rules?

HGH may be the most daunting performance enhancer for professional sports to deal with. HGH builds muscle and burns fat. There is no urine test for it and it disappears from the system within 36 hours of its being administered. None of the American professional sports leagues test for it, not even the NFL, which has the most effective and comprehensive testing program for banned performance enhancers like steroids,ephedra and androstendione.

The first tests for HGH were administered at the Athens Olympics. According to published reports, about 300 athletes had blood drawn for HGH testing. It's unlikely that any pro sports union would agree to blood testing.

What HGH has the potential to do and the fact that it's virtually undetectable combine to make it arguably the most attractive performance enhancer for an athlete.

In a recent 60 Minutes segment, a former employee of South Carolina doctor James Shortt said she filled steroid prescriptions for three members of the 2003 Carolina Panthers. The employee, Mignon Simpson, also stated as fact that Panthers players received HGH and that she personally shipped it. She added that "probably a half-dozen" professional football players were sent HGH from Shortt's office on "a fairly regular basis."

If I were an athlete, I'd take HGH before steroids, said Dr. Mary Lee Vance, professor of medicine and neurosurgery at the University of Virginia Medical School. "It will increase muscle mass and it does good things for people with deficient (insulin-like growth factor 1 levels). But it shouldn't be used for athletic training. That's trading your health for your career. I really feel it's important that the public know that (HGH) is not a safe thingfor people to do."

Vance has extensively studied growth hormone and its effects and her research on growth hormone's effect on aging was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in February of 2003. Her study was done in
response to a widely referenced 1990 NEJM study that said growth hormone administered over a six-month period to 12 men between the ages of 61 and 81 significantly increased lean body mass and decreased fat.

The initial study was often cited by supplement companies as proof of synthetic growth hormones' effectiveness. Vance believes in growth hormone's ability to aid growth but, in her article, mentions a 1994 study
that showed growth hormone improved body composition but not strength in resistance training.

A normal pituitary gland produces growth hormone in pulses throughout the course of each day. When the pituitary gland secretes growth hormone it binds to receptors on the liver which stimulates the liver to release
IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1). IGF-1 then stimulates bone and muscle growth and metabolism. Most is secreted after exercise and during the fourth stage of sleep. During youth and adolescence, growth hormoneproduction is highest and its levels taper off as we age. People with growth defeciencies -- children in particular -- are sometimes prescribed synthetic growth hormone. To give it to someone to build athletic performance is simply wrong, said Vance. Asked why, she responded, "Because it can be harmful. Too much causes acromegaly, overgrowth of joints, enlarged heart, blood pressure problems, growth of hands, feet and jaw." But Vance did acknowledge that it could aid athletic performance. It builds muscle, she said. "It reduces fat mass in people who are GH deficient and it raises energy levels. I give a lot to people who make none. In adults, it improves energy, tolerance and strength. That's what we want for people who have (no growth hormone), wewant to restore them to normal. But abuse is giving that hormone to someone who has normal levels. It's not right." It's also impossible to detect. Vance said a colleague in Germany is close to developing a more efficient test for excessive growth hormone levels. Currently, the only way to test for it is with a blood sample and even then, it's only detectable for a short time.

The NFL is aware of and concerned about HGH. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello recently told the Philadelphia Inquirer: "When (a test) is developed we will include that in our program. It's not something we're doing as a result of (the 60 Minutes piece). It was in the works. We don't accept that this as a widespread practice in the league."

Perhaps he's right. But in a business where being stronger, faster and bigger than your opponent is an advantage, the lure of taking something that will help you become all those things is understandable. And the fact that nobody may know you're taking it makes it all the more enticing.

The fact is, while the nation is currently on high alert for steroid abuse by its professional athletes, a more effective and harder to detect performance enhancer called HGH is out there. And the only deterrent for it is
the athlete's own conscience.

Thanks for bringing the article to our attention. It might have better been done with a link (copyright issues) but I'm glad to have seen it. TC does a nice job of outlining the issues and reminds me again that even with Breer and Reiss, I miss TC on the Patriot's beat.

FWIW, I'm disappointed that Rodney chose to use a dangerous and banned substance. I haven't been in the position of having all those devastating injuries and the temptation of a chemical fix to aid in their recovery. I remain a strong fan of Rodney's, but he is only human, and this shows as much as anything how men yield to temptation.

It makes me glad the NFL remains vigilant in the pursuit of drug abusers. Not only does it help keep the sport clean, it protects the players from themselves.

Thanks for bringing the article to our attention. It might have better been done with a link (copyright issues) but I'm glad to have seen it. TC does a nice job of outlining the issues and reminds me again that even with Breer and Reiss, I miss TC on the Patriot's beat.

FWIW, I'm disappointed that Rodney chose to use a dangerous and banned substance. I haven't been in the position of having all those devastating injuries and the temptation of a chemical fix to aid in their recovery. I remain a strong fan of Rodney's, but he is only human, and this shows as much as anything how men yield to temptation.

It makes me glad the NFL remains vigilant in the pursuit of drug abusers. Not only does it help keep the sport clean, it protects the players from themselves.
I spent awhile looking for a link...but there doesn't seem to be one...the article is 2 1/2 years old..googled and searched..but could not locate a link. That article was written around teh time of McGwire and the dteroid inquiries in Congress...and Curran was ahead of things talking about HGH...I think it was ahead of things then..even now.

I think Bill Romanowski shed alot of light on it a couple years back when he was taking everything under the sun.

I spent awhile looking for a link...but there doesn't seem to be one...the article is 2 1/2 years old..googled and searched..but could not locate a link. That article was written around teh time of McGwire and the dteroid inquiries in Congress...and Curran was ahead of things talking about HGH...I think it was ahead of things then..even now.
Sorry for jumping to conclusions. Great job finding the article.

I don't think this is out of character at all. The very thing that makes us love Rodney is what made him take this stuff in the first place. We love him because he absolutely loves to play football, itches to get out there, and he knows he's at the end of the line and, even though he knew it was wrong, risked it fr one last hurrah. The guy has always been willing to risk abuse to his body. Let's face the truth. This is a sport in whcih Bruschi got out there in the same season after he suffered a stroke. Football is in the blood for these guys. Harrison is not Katzenmoyer.

Why do parents give their kids HGH? Why is this drug abused by doctors all over th US? Why do parents in Texas keep their kids back so that they can play football against younger kids?

People's priorities are messed up. Rodney's decision is messed up. But we can't pretend it's not consistent with everything Rodney has done in his career until this point. I think it is. The guy has 1 or 2 years left, barely played the last 2 years, is coming off a knee injury, and sped it up to end his career the way he wanted. Hmmm, makes sense. And it's really too bad. Look at Ted Johnson. Depression, headaches, broken marriage, AND he's putting out feelers to see if he can come back and play.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions. Great job finding the article.
I actually had saved the article...but I wanted to get a link...as I understand about copyright laws etc..Unfortunately many older articles are not easily archived and found with links.

As someone who is classified 'disabled' by two federal agencies, I can speak to the dissatisfaction with standard medical care and the frustration of a body going downhill at a young age. The more time you spend around doctors the less preconceptions you have about their ability to put us back together, medicine is like football, there's as much art as there is hard work and science.
- In the service the goal wasn't to make you 'well,' the goal was to return you to duty. Motrin was the treatment of choice, given out like candy - reading Curran's article I didn't see any health effects listed that are any worse than motrin, a color man for one of the games I was watching this week talked about how his pregame prep included an 800 mg motrin and a cup of coffee. I think we have all read or heard sports discussions talking about the painkillers used to prepare players for the games.
- There are fans here who complain bitterly about injured players and demand they cut short rehab and return to the field. There are people on this forum who have said as much about Rodney.

I doubt very much Rodney was using this for a competitive edge, let's just say I can relate to the desire to have a body that doesn't require assistance for a walk to the bathroom and finds the idea of climbing rocks a challenge. Our visitors from San Diego may gloat and point to their steroid using hero's suspension and claim a moral equivalence, but a healthy second year player in his early 20's using steroids to enhance his game is not equivalent to a man in his early 30's on injured reserve using HGH, weakly parallel at best.

I've walked Rodney's road, I understand him, I just want my body to work normally - normal for Rodney is the ability to run around a football field. His source for HGH came under suspicion because doctors where taking shortcuts for cash, activities that had nothing to do with medicine. How or where Rodney got his information we don't know, but I can assure you people with medical degrees are pushing products that don't do what they claim, and people frustrated with ineffective 'conventional' treatments will, as I have done, try them.

Rodney made a choice that broke the rules of the NFL because like myself he wanted his body to be "normal." He's owned up to his actions and he will pay a price. It isn't the end of the world for the Pats, Rodney, or the NFL. This to shall pass.

In closing, for our visitors from San Diego, welcome. Enjoy our dismay and feel free to gloat. I have no problem with your comments about Rodney, he cheated, Merriman cheated, they got caught and paid the price...I'll settle for knowing that Rodney doesn't disappear in the playoffs. :snob:

Thank you, Box, for helping us understand you better.
I share your wish that you "have a body that works normally."

The most i can do for you from here ... and for all the other good people deprived of capacity ...
is to speak out against the controllers' mentality
that rises up so fiercely when news like this breaks
... which claims that THEY are, and should be, empowered to decide how you will attempt
to regain full function.

You own your life and body ... Rodney owns his ... i own mine.
How we ultimately use and care for those bodies - after hearing all such advice we care to hear -
is no one's business but the owner's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back