Welcome to PatsFans.com

Curran article on HGH from 2005

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Pats726, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

This is an article from Projo from 2005...I have tried to find a link to this, but there is nothing available to link it..

It's I think an important article given the situation with Harrison and the sudden spotlight of HGH. Curran was way ahead of things with this article..and it brings up many points about it.

2. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

Thanks for bringing the article to our attention. It might have better been done with a link (copyright issues) but I'm glad to have seen it. TC does a nice job of outlining the issues and reminds me again that even with Breer and Reiss, I miss TC on the Patriot's beat.

FWIW, I'm disappointed that Rodney chose to use a dangerous and banned substance. I haven't been in the position of having all those devastating injuries and the temptation of a chemical fix to aid in their recovery. I remain a strong fan of Rodney's, but he is only human, and this shows as much as anything how men yield to temptation.

It makes me glad the NFL remains vigilant in the pursuit of drug abusers. Not only does it help keep the sport clean, it protects the players from themselves.

3. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I spent awhile looking for a link...but there doesn't seem to be one...the article is 2 1/2 years old..googled and searched..but could not locate a link. That article was written around teh time of McGwire and the dteroid inquiries in Congress...and Curran was ahead of things talking about HGH...I think it was ahead of things then..even now.

4. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I think Bill Romanowski shed alot of light on it a couple years back when he was taking everything under the sun.

5. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

Sorry for jumping to conclusions. Great job finding the article.

6. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +145 / 9 / -3

I don't think this is out of character at all. The very thing that makes us love Rodney is what made him take this stuff in the first place. We love him because he absolutely loves to play football, itches to get out there, and he knows he's at the end of the line and, even though he knew it was wrong, risked it fr one last hurrah. The guy has always been willing to risk abuse to his body. Let's face the truth. This is a sport in whcih Bruschi got out there in the same season after he suffered a stroke. Football is in the blood for these guys. Harrison is not Katzenmoyer.

Why do parents give their kids HGH? Why is this drug abused by doctors all over th US? Why do parents in Texas keep their kids back so that they can play football against younger kids?

People's priorities are messed up. Rodney's decision is messed up. But we can't pretend it's not consistent with everything Rodney has done in his career until this point. I think it is. The guy has 1 or 2 years left, barely played the last 2 years, is coming off a knee injury, and sped it up to end his career the way he wanted. Hmmm, makes sense. And it's really too bad. Look at Ted Johnson. Depression, headaches, broken marriage, AND he's putting out feelers to see if he can come back and play.

7. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I actually had saved the article...but I wanted to get a link...as I understand about copyright laws etc..Unfortunately many older articles are not easily archived and found with links.

8. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

As someone who is classified 'disabled' by two federal agencies, I can speak to the dissatisfaction with standard medical care and the frustration of a body going downhill at a young age. The more time you spend around doctors the less preconceptions you have about their ability to put us back together, medicine is like football, there's as much art as there is hard work and science.
    - In the service the goal wasn't to make you 'well,' the goal was to return you to duty. Motrin was the treatment of choice, given out like candy - reading Curran's article I didn't see any health effects listed that are any worse than motrin, a color man for one of the games I was watching this week talked about how his pregame prep included an 800 mg motrin and a cup of coffee. I think we have all read or heard sports discussions talking about the painkillers used to prepare players for the games.
    - There are fans here who complain bitterly about injured players and demand they cut short rehab and return to the field. There are people on this forum who have said as much about Rodney.

I doubt very much Rodney was using this for a competitive edge, let's just say I can relate to the desire to have a body that doesn't require assistance for a walk to the bathroom and finds the idea of climbing rocks a challenge. Our visitors from San Diego may gloat and point to their steroid using hero's suspension and claim a moral equivalence, but a healthy second year player in his early 20's using steroids to enhance his game is not equivalent to a man in his early 30's on injured reserve using HGH, weakly parallel at best.

I've walked Rodney's road, I understand him, I just want my body to work normally - normal for Rodney is the ability to run around a football field. His source for HGH came under suspicion because doctors where taking shortcuts for cash, activities that had nothing to do with medicine. How or where Rodney got his information we don't know, but I can assure you people with medical degrees are pushing products that don't do what they claim, and people frustrated with ineffective 'conventional' treatments will, as I have done, try them.

Rodney made a choice that broke the rules of the NFL because like myself he wanted his body to be "normal." He's owned up to his actions and he will pay a price. It isn't the end of the world for the Pats, Rodney, or the NFL. This to shall pass.

In closing, for our visitors from San Diego, welcome. Enjoy our dismay and feel free to gloat. I have no problem with your comments about Rodney, he cheated, Merriman cheated, they got caught and paid the price...I'll settle for knowing that Rodney doesn't disappear in the playoffs. :snob:

9. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thank you, Box, for helping us understand you better.
    I share your wish that you "have a body that works normally."

The most i can do for you from here ... and for all the other good people deprived of capacity ...
    is to speak out against the controllers' mentality
    that rises up so fiercely when news like this breaks
    ... which claims that THEY are, and should be, empowered to decide how you will attempt
    to regain full function.

You own your life and body ... Rodney owns his ... i own mine.
    How we ultimately use and care for those bodies - after hearing all such advice we care to hear -
    is no one's business but the owner's!