PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Amendola gutsy performance quiets critics

Armendola have a > Catch Radius than Welker. Those catches DA made in Traffic would have been Dropped by Welker. DA statue played a role in his making those catches, migets don't make those catches period!

Amendola + Welker > Amendola

Except that was never really a possibility. It was always going to be an either or situation. You can't have two slot receivers on the field all the time or most of the time. And I doubt Amendola was going to come here to be Welker's back up or Welker would have stayed to be Amendola's back up.

I like what I saw from Amendola yesterday. That catches were amazing. What concerns me is that fact he was holding his groin then a little while later he was back on the field.

Groin pulls are awful and take a while to heal. That leads me to believe they may have shot him up with something which is just masking the problem. We will see if he is able to play on Thursday. I hope so because they need him.

There's no way they shot him up, playing with an iffy groin that's numbed could be dangerous, he could rip it and not know it til it's too late and he's be out for the year. I think it just tightened up and he was able to get it loose again.

Amendola + Welker > Amendola

Amendola + Welker + Megatron + Fitzgerald > Amendola

I mean, if we're going to be talking about things that couldn't happen let's go all the way.

Amendola looked exactly as advertised and why I wanted him on the team for the last 2 years.

Fantastic hands, great route running, big catch radius, clutch & athletic.

Very happy with what we all got to see from him yesterday.

Note to critics,

None of Amendola's injuries in the past were muscle related. They were breaks and dis locations. This current issue is a pre existing groin injury that would probably take 3-4 weeks to completely clear up. I think even the haters would give him a pass if he missed Thursday's game. And although I think he probably will be ready to play the following week. But I don't think its a good idea. I'd rather clear this up completely than have it linger all season.

I'd sit him until at least game 4. The defense can win the Jets and Bucs games. Plus by game 3 Gronk will be back. Lets use the next 2 games as an extension to the preseason and give the rookies a lot of targets and workout all the issues we saw today. Sure it will be hit and miss, and NOT what we are used to seeing. But in the marathon that is the NFL season, I think it will be worth it.

BTW- every time I see Ron Borges' smug and smarmy face in the media, I really want to reach out and punch that punk bully into next week. I really resent that a convicted plagiarist and a guy who tried to punch out a crippled guy, gets to pass judgement on others. If I knew he'd be on this clip I wouldn't have clicked it.

Amendola > Welker.
I agree, DA is and will be better than WW (much better hands, hands down) if he can stay healthy. Its never been an issue of whether DA is tough, (he is) you can be tough as nails but there are many injuries you just can't over come no matter how tough you are.

On the game winning drive there were at least two passes Amendola caught while having to fully extend his armas that Wes doesn't come close to catching. Once Brady said "screw it" and just focused on him, magic started happening. Obviously, our offense can't be reduced to throwing the ball to Danny on every down, but he more than came through when needed.

Shefter is saying the new Patriots offense lacked chemistry.

What amazes me is that Tom has developed some chemistry with Amendola this quickly.

We saw last year what happened when Gronk was out. Hernandez, Woodhead, Welker and Lloyd didn't do much better.

Vereen, Edelman and Amendola played at least as ell.

Adding Gronk and a more seasoned Thompkins to this mix should improve things dramatically.

especially after seeing fellow "fans" crying that they missed Welker since Thursday night, from up until the first half where fans were already labeling Amendola a failure.... This was sweet.

I thought the Welker whining after Thursday night's game was disgraceful. We had not even had a taste of the DA experience at that point. Also, WW diddnt have that great of a game.

This board is so full of chicken little, whiners it is becoming difficult to read.

This game enforced my thoughts more , for 6 million they should have signed both.

wes in the slot and amendola on the other side. this would have meant the rookies would have fill 1 or 2 slot every play rather than 2. I think with both the rookies would have the perk of working with the 3rd or 4th CB giving them a chance to success.

satz

BTW- every time I see Ron Borges' smug and smarmy face in the media, I really want to reach out and punch that punk bully into next week. I really resent that a convicted plagiarist and a guy who tried to punch out a crippled guy, gets to pass judgement on others. If I knew he'd be on this clip I wouldn't have clicked it.

On this point, let me offer a couple of links to show just how bad Borges is:

Why Ron Borges should be fired

Ron Borges' Cut-And-Paste Job

If you don't like Borges, these make for some pretty entertaining reading.

On this point, let me offer a couple of links to show just how bad Borges is:

Why Ron Borges should be fired

Ron Borges' Cut-And-Paste Job

If you don't like Borges, these make for some pretty entertaining reading.
Thanks Ivanvamp, you made my Sunday. But you know what's really sad, despite the fact that EVERYTHING that was written in that article was true in 2006, the fact remains that he's been allowed to continue spew the same dreck over and over again for the last 7 years, despite adding the title of a convicted plagiarizer to his sorry resume.

Isn't there something we as fans can do?

Note to critics,

None of Amendola's injuries in the past were muscle related. They were breaks and dis locations. This current issue is a pre existing groin injury that would probably take 3-4 weeks to completely clear up. I think even the haters would give him a pass if he missed Thursday's game. And although I think he probably will be ready to play the following week. But I don't think its a good idea. I'd rather clear this up completely than have it linger all season.

I'd sit him until at least game 4. The defense can win the Jets and Bucs games. Plus by game 3 Gronk will be back. Lets use the next 2 games as an extension to the preseason and give the rookies a lot of targets and workout all the issues we saw today. Sure it will be hit and miss, and NOT what we are used to seeing. But in the marathon that is the NFL season, I think it will be worth it.

Without Amendola, we don't beat the Bills yesterday. That pretty well sums up how I feel about the whole "we don't even need Player X to beat Professional Football Team Y" line of thought.

If the Pats decide to sit Amendola until week 4, especially if Gronk doesn't come back in that timeframe, they'd better be willing to accept the very real possibility that that decision leads to a 1-2 record.

Are we still talking about Welker? :confused:

He WAS a great player on the team..... but he doesn't play for us anymore. Some of you folks really need to get over that. He's never coming back, and the season has already begun.

Fans follow teams. Admire players for what they contribute, but ultimately they will all come and go. No one is here forever. If you are a player-follower, then I'm sure the Donkey's have room on their band-wagon. Go climb on it.

As for DA. Love his hands, loved his toughness. Probably should rest him thursday, but as has been said... prolly just a simple muscle strain that will nag for a few weeks, but eventually heal up.

Note to critics,

Iam not sure after yesterday's performance they win easy with jets and bucs without amendola. No defense will respect our WRs and buffalo didnt either. Even with amendola, the jets will double him and ask brady to throw elsewhere if he gets the time. They need gronk back and back for good.

One thing to note Kenbrell Thomkins - Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce need to learn how to beat single coverage. Until then DA and Edelperson will see alot of double coverage. If those Boys can't beat the coverage games are going to be painful to watch.

Neither DA nor JE will survive those underneath patterns unless the Pats can force Ds to respect the sidelines and vertical routes. That box was so stacked at the end of the game it took a shoe horn and grease to get those completions. I know this is a work in progress....but this slot WR based offense can't handle the punishment for 16 games.

Not much to add in this thread, but I will anyway...

1. We didn't TRADE Welker for Amendola.

2. I hate that Welker isn't here anymore. Love the guy.

3. I love that Amendola is here. He drips talent adn seems like a guy worth rooting for.

4. I would love to have both - hindsight being 20-20, if we KNEW that Ahern was going to go to prison, that might have been a possibility. The fact is, Ahern, Welker, Amendola and Gronk wouldn't have worked - they all run in the same areas of the field.

5. This is the kicker: I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 people here who are GLAD that Welker is gone. But he's not on the team anymore. So watching people kicking rocks, as Curran put it, is *$&#ing aggravating as all hell. And going after Amendola is unfair and juvenile.

From the article: "That would be 104 on 10 catches. Nine of them good for first downs. Seven of those nine on third-down receptions. His final catch, a 10-yarder in heavy traffic on third-and-8 from the Bills 39, a reception that was the catalyst for the Patriots to dodge the ignominy of a loss to the Bills and escape with a 23-21 win."

Yeah, okay, give me THAT guy, and thanks.

And as for injuries, cripes it's the NFL! People here act as if we're the only team that gets hit, repeatedly, with them. We're talking about Amendola's groin injury - how many other teams EACH WEEK have a guy who tweaks a hamstring, or an ankle, comes out, then goes back in...and we're playing them the next week and never hear a thing about it?

Happens all the time. Guys get taken out for the season all the time (ask the Steelers). Last year, one of the biggest reasons the Raven won was because they got smashed with injuries early, thus got a ton of reps for their backup players, and their remaining starters had to step up...then got their studs back healthy just in time to make the run.

Re: Re: Curran: Amendola gutsy performance quiets critics

Amendola + Welker + Megatron + Fitzgerald > Amendola

I mean, if we're going to be talking about things that couldn't happen let's go all the way.

Except you are stretching the point to the point of hyperbole.

Having Welker and Amendola was just improbable.. not impossible.

And I think any OC worth his salt would LOVE to have to figure out ways to use these two guys on the field at the same time... not to mention tagteaming and spelling each other.

I feel that it could have been made to work. Seems like I saw Eldleman out there often enough with Amendola.

But.. yes, even I think that had the Biggest Idiot in the World stayed on our team.. there was too much MONEY wrapped up in the middle of the field.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back