PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Amendola gutsy performance quiets critics

People need to calm down. It's great that you want to get behind the guy, but it was one game. No one said he'd be horrible. The critics were critical because he hasn't been able to play a full season yet. Last I checked yesterdays game wasn't the entire season - plus he actually got hurt twice in that game which only proves the critics point.

Newsflash: You aren't required to take a fanbot swipe at Welker in order to praise Amendola's play yesterday.

Newsflash: Truth hurts. It's not just fanbot (?) That are admitting Welker couldn't do what DA did yesterday

Curran is Belichick's toy poodle so I'm not surprised he's gone off the deep end with the company line after 1 game.
The issue has never been Amendola's abilities. The issue is and will continue to be his durability. Taking the needle and the treatment and the tape to stay out there in game 1 of the season is not the issue. Will Amendola be able to answer the bell in week 9 or 12 or 16....THAT is the question, TomE.

I am convinced that this is the case from a talent standpoint. But I'd still be shocked if we get Welker's 07-12 production from Amendola.

Right now, yes, he is. The big question mark is being able to stay on the field, obviously. But right now? Yes, he's better. I don't want Welker's production because that means we are relying on him too much. I'd love to see some growth in the rookies.

People need to calm down. It's great that you want to get behind the guy, but it was one game. No one said he'd be horrible. The critics were critical because he hasn't been able to play a full season yet. Last I checked yesterdays game wasn't the entire season - plus he actually got hurt twice in that game which only proves the critics point.

How does it prove the critics point? The critics said he stubbed his toe and he missed half the season. Yesterday, he proved the critic wrong at least for that game.

All players get hurt in games. Injury prone don't go back into the game and play out of his head. Welker got injuries like these from time to time where he looked to sprain an ankle or tweak a hamstring or another injury that looks more than the minor kind and then he would sit out a a few series and then go back in there. It is no different than what Amendola did yesterday.

If Amendola misses games because of this injury then his critics have a point, but yesterday he silenced his critics by playing through pain and playing very well.

Newsflash: Truth hurts. It's not just fanbot (?) That are admitting Welker couldn't do what DA did yesterday

Point taken but it's one game. Its clear that Amendola has a different skill set that will help the team just as Welker did with his. Amendola may be able to do more but he doesn't make Welker a JAG in comparison. I just don't get why you can't recognize they are both great players. WW is in Denver now so I won't follow him like the Tebowites do with their guy. The point I was trying to make is that you can rightfully praise Amendola without being dismissive of Welker's production during his years with the Pats.

I'm someone who's been in favor of this move from day. Amendola is perfect for this team. He might not rack up the stats WW did (if he stays healthy, that might be debatable) but yesterday showed what Amendola brings to this team, something that we haven't seen since pre 2007. Clutch ness.

I understand why #83 was loved. He was the short white guy who balled and put up terrific stats. We know in this country stats mean everything, esp with fantasy football being so big. But other teams figured us out. When the games got tough, and the margin for error got slim, 83 chocked. His drops on big games are well documented, and for as much times as Brady zoned in on him, he never made that big play when we needed it. And this was at times when we had other weapons around. Whether it be Moss or Gronk or Hernandez. 83 was in ways a front runner. When the game was going good , he was excellent, when we needed a spark or a crucial play against the Ravens, Giants or Jets he pissed himself. That's why I think he's perfect with Peyton in Denver. They both are regular season killers, but disappear in the playoffs.

Amendola yesterday brought me back to the Patriots 01-06 version. When the game got tough, he took the game on his shoulders and made HUGE plays, and that's with the defense knowing the ball was going to him. He's clutch and tough as nails. I hope fans can appreciate him...this guys can play. And anyone who thinks last night was just one game hasn't been following his career. He torched the 49ers last year at candlestick.

And just like Manning and Welker are perfect for each other, so is Brady and Amendola. Amendola like Brady , when the game gets tough, are stone cold killers.

Hilarious read!! Oh my some rose colored glasses to go with that pink hat.
(Psst, might want to recheck those playoff stats)

Amendola had a great game yesterday. If he stays healthy he could be better than Welker.

Speaking of Welker I got a text message from my friend. He neighbor is Chris Simms (who is actually the assistant for the Pats now) and sees him every month or so when they walk their dogs. Simms told him that Welker was pissed at BB and was leaving no matter what. Make me feel better about the Amendola signing now as Welker was not coming back anyway.

I hate how we divide everything into camp A vs camp B and deal in absolutes. If you think letting Welker go, then you don't support Amendola.
If you support Amendola, then you think Welker's value to the team was greatly overrated.

I think letting Welker go was mistake. That doesn't mean I want Amendola to do poorly here. I'm just concerned. And I'd be concerned either way.

Would I be concerned that Welker could start to decline at any moment due to age? Sure
Am I now concerned that Amendola might not be around for 19-20 games? (if all goes well) You bet.

But I sure as hell hope he succeeds here, and I'm going to try to refrain from any cheap comments about his past injuries in moments of frustration.(I was guilty of it myself thursday night)
Doesn't mean he won't stay healthy now.
Just as one game doesn't mean he has automatically replaced Welker.
Thursday night was rough for the emotional fan in me but Amendola certainly made it easier. Week one is over and I've accepted that Welker is playing with Manning, and now it's time to move on I suppose.

Amendola had a great game yesterday. If he stays healthy he could be better than Welker.

Speaking of Welker I got a text message from my friend. He neighbor is Chris Simms (who is actually the assistant for the Pats now) and sees him every month or so when they walk their dogs. Simms told him that Welker was pissed at BB and was leaving no matter what. Make me feel better about the Amendola signing now as Welker was not coming back anyway.

Consider this, Chris, et. al. could simply be spouting the company line about a departed employee. Always a corporate spin put out when a key contributor departs.

Consider this, Chris, et. al. could simply be spouting the company line about a departed employee. Always a corporate spin put out when a key contributor departs.

Oh I am sure. Two sides to every story but I tend to believe what Simms was saying. Welker had franchise tag put on him which players don't like. Plus last season BB played Welker sparingly the first couple of games.

Oh I am sure. Two sides to every story but I tend to believe what Simms was saying. Welker had franchise tag put on him which players don't like. Plus last season BB played Welker sparingly the first could of game.

Good points too. We'll never know unless we get BB in Gitmo for extensive water boarding.

Amendola is a better athlete than Welker.Runs faster jumps higher.
All I could think of was Amendola running the route Welker dropped the ball on in the SB. He would have had it.
And I love WW.

For his first game, DA had a tremendous performance. He won the game yesterday. There were a few of those balls I could see the ball clanging off Welkers hands on the third downs or Welker simply not getting to.

Amendola is a better athlete than Welker.Runs faster jumps higher.
All I could think of was Amendola running the route Welker dropped the ball on in the SB. He would have had it.
And I love WW.

For his first game, DA had a tremendous performance. He won the game yesterday. There were a few of those balls I could see the ball clanging off Welkers hands on the third downs or Welker simply not getting to.

Contrast DA's hands to Edelman's, a decent but not great WR. Brady hit Julian for a couple scores he dropped and a easy out pattern that he dropped. The TD balls were catchable, but difficult. I feel that DA could have made at least one if not both catches the way he played Sunday. That said, everyone drops difficult catches. Let's not over react when DA assumes human form in a forthcoming game. Sunday was lights out unreal.

I hate how we divide everything into camp A vs camp B and deal in absolutes. If you think letting Welker go, then you don't support Amendola.
If you support Amendola, then you think Welker's value to the team was greatly overrated.

I think letting Welker go was mistake. That doesn't mean I want Amendola to do poorly here. I'm just concerned. And I'd be concerned either way.

Would I be concerned that Welker could start to decline at any moment due to age? Sure
Am I now concerned that Amendola might not be around for 19-20 games? (if all goes well) You bet.

But I sure as hell hope he succeeds here, and I'm going to try to refrain from any cheap comments about his past injuries in moments of frustration.(I was guilty of it myself thursday night)
Doesn't mean he won't stay healthy now.
Just as one game doesn't mean he has automatically replaced Welker.
Thursday night was rough for the emotional fan in me but Amendola certainly made it easier. Week one is over and I've accepted that Welker is playing with Manning, and now it's time to move on I suppose.

I agree with the sentiment. Amendola plays with abandon, and that can get him injured (toughness was not his issue). This is like the "Brady who?" in 2008 when his backup did well in his place in one or two games. If Amendola cannot play, the critics of the transaction return in force. Yesterday, Amendola showed he can play when on the field, nothing more. I hope Amendola stays on the field, because he is sorely needed and would be a huge asset to the Pats.

Welker was a big part of the Pats' offense for 6 years, on a team known for its offense (and people attempting to discredit that now remember individual plays but forget all of his critical third down catches that continued drives that ultimately put points on the board). Teams committed to trying to shut him down, which says something of the receiver. For a guy on a new team with a different offense, his first game could have been a lot worse. After watching that game, I expect he will have more of a season than I thought he would have with Manning.

I like what I saw from Amendola yesterday. That catches were amazing. What concerns me is that fact he was holding his groin then a little while later he was back on the field.

Groin pulls are awful and take a while to heal. That leads me to believe they may have shot him up with something which is just masking the problem. We will see if he is able to play on Thursday. I hope so because they need him.

He's not just gutsy, but he's also darn good. Now, if he can just stay on the field for one whole game and then make it through a season and the playoffs.

Point taken but it's one game. Its clear that Amendola has a different skill set that will help the team just as Welker did with his. Amendola may be able to do more but he doesn't make Welker a JAG in comparison. I just don't get why you can't recognize they are both great players. WW is in Denver now so I won't follow him like the Tebowites do with their guy. The point I was trying to make is that you can rightfully praise Amendola without being dismissive of Welker's production during his years with the Pats.

Welker was a great Patriot. I never stated other wise. I just stated that from 2007-2012 when the games got close and dirty we didn't win those games. That's been the knock on this team the past 6 years. Can we agree on that? Yesterday, for as bad as we struggled at times was a sigh of relief. Its been awhile since we won a game like that.

It was just one game, and I'm not putting Amendola in the Patriots hall of fame for it, but for the minority of us that were in favor of the move from day 1 that was awesome to see, especially after seeing fellow "fans" crying that they missed Welker since Thursday night, from up until the first half where fans were already labeling Amendola a failure.... This was sweet.

Hilarious read!! Oh my some rose colored glasses to go with that pink hat.
(Psst, might want to recheck those playoff stats)

Ohh blow it out your ass! Apologies for not being a negative Nancy that thinks there IS life without Welker like you.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back