PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cunningham vs Dunlap, Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I remember the BB presser right after the draft and someone specifically asked him about how he took Cunningham with Dunlap still available (paraphrasing) and BB said basically they got the guy they wanted.

Also Reiss said this in April:

Some might have been surprised when the Patriots made Cunningham their lone pass-rush selection in the draft (second round, 53rd overall), figuring that if the team looked to Florida for pass-rush help, it would have taken the Gators' other end, Carlos Dunlap.

One of the main reasons the Patriots went with Cunningham is that they viewed him as a more natural fit to make the challenging transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. Dunlap, they felt, was more of a pure 4-3 end.

New England Patriots look to Jermaine Cunningham to help pass rush - ESPN Boston

and from his chat this week:

Gurkirat (Canada)
Mike why did the Patriots not draft Carlos Dunlap from Florida? They picked Cunnigham 1 pick earlier. Dunlap has 8 sacks for the Bengals

Mike Reiss
(12:24 PM)

My sense is that Dunlap was viewed as more of a pure 4-3 defensive end, which is a good fit for the Bengals' defense. Cunningham had a bit more of an ability to play in pass coverage in the backpedal, which is an essential aspect of playing 3-4 outside linebacker -- which is the position the Patriots were looking for.

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

While Dunlap might not have made a good 3-4 OLB, anyone who thinks that he did not outplay Cunningham this year is kidding themselves.

That said, it is just year 1, Cunningham has a much steeper learning curve and could easily outplay Dunlap in the future as he showed he has potential.

While Dunlap might not have made a good 3-4 OLB, anyone who thinks that he did not outplay Cunningham this year is kidding themselves.

That said, it is just year 1, Cunningham has a much steeper learning curve and could easily outplay Dunlap in the future as he showed he has potential.

Stats wise yes, Dunlap's numbers are better, but you are comparing apples to oranges. You are talking about 2 completely different defensive schemes and you are asking 2 players to do 2 different jobs. The Patriots are never going to draft a guy that is only about the pass rush, it is too much of a liability to what they want to accomplish.

Also, It is my opinion of watching the Patriots that they would sacrifice sacks in order to shut down the run, so a pure pash rusher becomes limited. I think the guys high in this draft that are the pass rushers will once again be passed over by the Patriots for someone lesser known who they feel has a better overall game. A pure pass rusher may be brought in, but it would be a later pick of a raw player or something.

Stats wise yes, Dunlap's numbers are better, but you are comparing apples to oranges. You are talking about 2 completely different defensive schemes and you are asking 2 players to do 2 different jobs. The Patriots are never going to draft a guy that is only about the pass rush, it is too much of a liability to what they want to accomplish.

I get that and I am not comparing them against each other. Compare them against the position they play and Dunlap clearly played better this year. However, one year does not a player make.

I would be surprised if Dunlap was considered at all because he's obviously a 4-3 guy.

If only both Dunlap and Cunningham were both free agents.

What if JC nets 7 sacks next year and is better vs the run and is better in coverage while Dunlap stays the same Would you rather have the sack master or the better overall defensive player

Dunlap is a full year or two younger than Cunningham, and is more likely to improve even after getting 9.5 sacks in 11 games.

Dunlap was and will be stronger against the run.

The one edge Cunningham had and will have is agility. His short shuttle times were elite, and Dunlap's were not. As such, Cunningham will perhaps always be better in coverage than Dunlap, not that he's very good at it. Dunlap did show some nice long strides though, and knocked down a lot of passes in college with those long arms that would be useful in coverage. Still, Dunlap would have been targeted in coverage and exploited.

I was hoping to take Dunlap, play more 4-3, and avoid taking Spikes, who has zero versatility outside of 1-2nd down in a 3-4. Dunlap could have played limited olb in a 3-4, and probably bulk up enough down the road to be a situational 3-4 pass rushing end at 290 lbs.

At this point I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on Romeus at 64 and just letting the youth develop. Ninc and Cunningham will only get better.

I also wonder if Spikes could play some 3-4 olb or 4-3 DE on passing plays. Probably not though.

If BB flips enough picks to 2012, it will be a trust fund that could give us a permanent advantage.

Imagine if only our original picks were actually used, and the Oak, Car, and Min picks were all flipped to 2012 plus lower 2011 picks.

I don't think more than 5 rookies will make the roster anyway, and some of those five can come from lower rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes