Welcome to PatsFans.com

Culturally Significant Figures and Scandal

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Oct 3, 2009.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +726 / 11 / -7

60 minutes had a great story recently on Rev. Sun Myung Moon's daughter-in-law. Evidently her husband wasn't the "prince" the church referred to him as - a drunk, drug-addicted spousal abuser, despite the fact that he helps the church spread a hard core anti-drinking, anti-drug, anti-spousal-abuse (except as direct by the church,) message.

YouTube - 1-6 Unification Church -Introduction

(part 1 of 6... you can easily find the other 5 parts elsewhere.)

Moon himself has been the subject of at least a couple of scandals of course.

Is Moon more or less influential than David Letterman? Well, I've never seen anybody explain that the world can only be understood through David Letterman's philosophy, or espouse the idea that Letterman is the true messiah, just for example.

Viewing this 60-minutes feature you get an idea of the affect the Moonie church has on some of its members; I can not really say that I haven't seen people of a variety of religions also adversely affected by their religions.

But it's certainly worth putting these religious figures into our conversation of "influential cultural figures' bad behavior."

PFnV

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Not at all "recent" -- it's at least ten years old -- but it begs the point regardless: children, even children of great people, can and do make mistakes. Rev. Moon himself has never done what Letterman, or Clinton, or Kennedy or anybody who has had illicit sex has done. Never.

Keep your eye on the ball, whether hitting it or catching it.

//

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +726 / 11 / -7

All you know is he hasn't had "illicit sex" with you, or so you claim.

However he has raised drug addicted drunken wife-beaters, otherwise known in church circles as "the prince". That's in addition to his influence scandal in the Korean government and of course his tax evasion in the U.S., of course.

I mean, if you're the messiah, wouldn't you be able to raise a child who isn't a waste-case? If you can't even achieve that, how the hell are you going to tell me you know what's best for someone else?

It always goes back to the hypocrisy: "He can't even run his own life/I'll be damned if he'll run mine."

PFnV

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

By reading this post the righties can do not wrong.. guess news travels slow abroad... Vitter, Sanford, Craig, Gingrich, Bush, Baker, Bolton, Neil Bush, Guiliani, Libby, Limbaugh, O'reilly, Scarborough, Schlessinger, Schwarzenegger, Thurmond..

It always amazes me that we spent more money and time on Clinton's indiscretion than we did on 9-11... maybe those answers were too easy.

Even certain religious figures faced time in Jail for "indiscretions"... but who pays attention, this is about entertainers rather than politicians...

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

PBS, 60 Min etc etc, have they ever done story's on Mohammad, beheading, stoning, amputation, treatment of women and their own wives, the mothers of their children.

Maybe they have but I can't seem to remember it usually the Left Wing Media seems to avoid and trys their hardest not to talk about the murder and cruelty within the Muslim Religion, there was a story in the news not to long ago about a business man (muslim) who carved his wifes head off right here in America, they dropped that one like a hot potato.
    Are they 'scardy cats'..........:confused:

7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +228 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but i figure fog is reading it. and i wasnt to say something to him.

After what has come to light regarding Moon and your continued defense of him your lowest of low hanging fruit, your literally touching the ground.

I understand though, if you did acknowlage what Moon really is it would mean you wasted more that half your life.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You need to make up your mind: first you say Rev. Moon "controls" everybody, runs their lives like a ventriloquist runs his dummies, and NOW you say Rev. Moon "can't control" anybody, least of all his own son. :wha:...... ..... :wha:

Can't have it both ways, dude. You piss upwind and end up taking a shower.

//

9. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

PBS, CBS, 60 Minutes, Frontline will all do an "exposes" :rolleyes: of Ford trucks blowing themselves up .... then we find out their sponsor is Chevrolet!!! :rofl:

Can we all say: HYPOCRITE WHORES.

Thank you, class. That's all for today.

//

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +726 / 11 / -7

I don't think I've ever said Moon controls anything much more than an empire of interlocked and opaque investments and propaganda channels, and of course a cult... he (and you) would like said cult to control everything else, but it's a delusional hope.

To sum up:

Like plenty of other such figures, Moon has a great deal of money and a financial and media network. Like all such figures, he's a human with human failings. Unlike most such figures, he claims to be the messiah and to succeed "where Jesus failed" (And who said you and I don't agree on anything? :D )

But you have to wonder just how he's going to reconcile all the divisions of the world and usher in a paradise on earth, if he can't get his own son off the junk.

Also, did he really boink all the female initiates when he was starting out? For that matter, is he still doing it? If he wasn't how come all the mainstream churches in Korea said he was? Did they make it up?

PFnV

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Let me refresh your memory they did an excellent job on the David Pearl Beheading.. here is an easier answer, if you do not like, do not watch it.

Last week show:

from the 9/6 show..

from the 8/30 show

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Since you haven't believed anything I've told you so far, you'll just have to find out the answers to your questions on your own. I've done my bit -- and then some -- now you own the rest.

Happy hunting.

//

13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +726 / 11 / -7

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Take your hate screed and shove it. You dare publish worthless allegations and try to pawn them off as facts!! Only genuine scum-bags do that kind of thing.

What happened to Jesus isn't going to happen again to True Parents. Maybe that bothers you. If so, that's YOUR problem. YOU own it.

//

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  15. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I don't understand this crusade against Moon. There are so many religions that the leader claims to either be Jesus or they have been commanded to finish the work/continue the work of Jesus. Moon is just another. Get in line.

I would say the the most culturally significant religious figures are Jesus and Mohammed. Jesus healed the sick and the blind and was crucified. Mohammed raped a 9 year old. How's that for scandal. Maybe this is why the Muslims are so crazy.

16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +726 / 11 / -7

No campaign against Moon here. Just published one result for a google search. I don't much hate Moon, nor his church, but he *is* a culturally significant figure, much like Letterman.

I think the world would have been much better off had the Romans never crucified Jesus, and find in most of his sayings reflections, and often virtual doublets, of earlier Jewish teachings (which I likewise feel are very worthwhile.)

Now obviously, if anybody actually follows some of these teachings, rather than screaming bloody murder at each other, we'd have the warm and fuzzy world most such figures were after in the first place.

I'm not "anti-Moon," just as I'm not "anti-Letterman." I do see culturally significant figures as especially vulnerable to scandal allegations, and sometimes they're true. Furthermore when they break the law, as in Moon's case, they sometimes go to jail.

However, I never heard Letterman preaching against illicit sex, booze, or drugs.

Nobody hates you foggy... at least not me. To quote The Only Living Elvis, I use to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.

PFnV