Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cultural observation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

At AMC Loews Methuen 20 they have two Indian Bollywood features showing, and I don't even know if they're subtitled. Has the Massachusetts Indian population really gotten that big? :confused:

2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,752 / 12 / -15

#75 Jersey

Gleeful replies from confused NeoCon Liz Warren haters in 3....2.....1......

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes. It's huge. Out my way, there's a very large community in Shrewsbury. Also, for some reason, they are buying every packie in sight. I'm not exaggerating. In Leicester, every packie but one has been recently bought by Indians. They are also buying small convenience stores. Not sure why there is such a cultural attraction for these businesses. Also not sure why the sudden interest in Central Mass.

4. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

They seem to be taking over management of the Subway franchises as well in this area. Interesting stuff. But having Bollywood movies in first-run mainstream chain multiplexes, to me, is significantly tell-tale.

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't consider it a product of a growing Indian population as much as I would a growing influence and popularity of "Bollywood" films (although I suppose it's entirely possible the two go hand in hand). That region of the world is rapidly expanding in cinema, especially since the critical success of Slumdog Millionaire a couple years ago.

However, while I've never been to AMC Lowes Methuen and I can't say anything for sure, I'd bet those films are at least being subtitled.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

From a cursory check at rottentomatoes.com, seems the two films now showing in Methuen aren't of a "crossover" nature like "Slumdog Millionaire" -- just your standard Bollywood productions with fighting, romance, and cast-of-hundreds dance numbers. So my hunch is they're serving the local Indian population pretty exclusively.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Indian promoters will actually go into a theater, reserve a screen or two and promote the film directly to the Indian community through e-mail. posters, facebook, etc. They get a flat rate and a cut of the tickets and the venue gets the food and drink revenue.

Indian movie production has surpassed Hollywood in sheer volume of films. They're pretty rediculous, though, but every now and then there's some great ones. I remember a great one called "Monsoon Wedding" a few years ago. "Dev D" is another good one.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You could certainly be right. I admit it's rare to a large cinema to have those. My local big chain doesn't show those films, so I go to the local indie theater when I was to see something like that.

9. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +659 / 13 / -28

well.....don't you look like an idiot now?

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

There's not very many Indians on welfare is there, are they here legally, do they do drugs, are there any "Indian Gangs" I'm not trying to be smart, I really don't know the answer to these questions, I don't get around much anymore......:(

11. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

Well, they obviously have graduated from the underground to the mainstream, at least in some areas, which suggests the numbers are out there.

As for the movies, I don't understand the ubiquitous emphasis on overblown choreographed dance numbers with dozens of people. It seems they have those in most of their films ("Slumdog Millionaire" being among the notable exceptions).

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

In the Ny/Nj area they have run live shows at the Nassau Coliseum and MSG and the Pru Center for S Asian entertainment.