PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Culpepper to be cut, Green trade almost complete

I just can't see Davis's ego letting someone else make the decision on that pick. Unless they tell him the draft is the following weekend and just take him to a local mall that day and let him wander around.

Hey, my 100th post. Only took a year and a half.

It's quality, not quantity that counts. Well, it doesn't actually count. And it isn't rewarded. But you can assume someone appreciates it.

They better hope Green is better than he played in the playoff game against the Colts. He was a disaster.

They would have been better with David Carr. But a Trent Green and say maybee Drew Staton of Mich State will be ok for them...

Houston passed on Reggie Bush. I still can't believe that.

I do. It was, honestly, a no brainer. Bush wouldn't have been successful in Houston. Houston's problem on offense was that their O-line wasn't solid. They added 2 players last year that helped, a lot. Houston's problem on defense was that they didn't have a legitimate edge rush threat. Williams is that. Kubiak followed the BB school of thinking. Build from the lines out. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

I don't fault Kubiak one IOTA for that. I do, however, think that they messed up by getting Schaub for the cost that they paid.

I do. It was, honestly, a no brainer. Bush wouldn't have been successful in Houston. Houston's problem on offense was that their O-line wasn't solid. They added 2 players last year that helped, a lot. Houston's problem on defense was that they didn't have a legitimate edge rush threat. Williams is that. Kubiak followed the BB school of thinking. Build from the lines out. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

I don't fault Kubiak one IOTA for that. I do, however, think that they messed up by getting Schaub for the cost that they paid.

Totally agree with the Texans pass of Bush.

They should have stuck with Carr, that was a dumb idea to let him go imo.

The Texans need to build their oline first.

Houston last offseason/draft could have gotten both Bush and Brees. They thought they were ok at QB with Carr and RB with Davis/Williams (whatever his name was at this point in time last year). Instead they cut Carr a year later get robbed in a trade for Schaub had to release Dominick Davis/Williams and now have Ron Dayne as their #1 back. Pretty solid going from potentially Brees and Bush to Schaub and Dayne in one year.

The Dolphins QB situation gets more laughable every year.

A scrub like AJ Feeley is availble? Let's trade a #2 pick for him!

Culpepper is a available? He played as poorly as any QB in the NFL in 2005 and then blew out his knee? And the knee isn't healtyh yet? Let's trade a #2 pick for him! While we are at it, let's rework his contract and give him a 7 million signing bonus!

Trent Green is available? He's 37 years old, missed half of the last year and then played poorly when he came back? And he lost his job to Damon Huard? We definitely can give draft picks for him.

I guess the fact the Green pick will be a day 2, not a second rounder in exchange for another guy who will not solve their QB issues means they are making progress?

Last edited:
Daunte is not getting cut before the season starts, he will be given a chance to return, the only way he gets cut is if he can't play and there just isn't any proof of that yet.

Culpepper is a available? He played as poorly as any QB in the NFL in 2005 and then blew out his knee? And the knee isn't healtyh yet? Let's trade a #2 pick for him! While we are at it, let's rework his contract and give him a 7 million signing bonus!

Trent Green is available? He's 37 years old, missed half of the last year and then played poorly when he came back? And he lost his job to Damon Huard? We definitely can give draft picks for him.

I guess the fact the Green pick will be a day 2, not a second rounder in exchange for another guy who will not solve their QB issues means they are making progress?

Do your research, the Vikes also had one of the worst rushing attacks and Defenses in 05. I love how some fans only see what they want to see then post like they know it all.

And Green is set to have a cap hit of over 7 million dollars.

definatley a spot for Daunte

hes got Moss..and they seem to be leaning on Calvin Johnson so why not pick up a guy similar to russell? strong arm..good mobility..big size

Cousin,
The Raiders picking up Culpepper makes a lot of sense. Davis is not sold on Russell. Plus you have a struggling team with a rookie QB? It would not work. Whomever the Raiders pick up will be the new starting QB, regardless. Culpepper at the least, has experience. He was so immobile with the knee last year, he was a sitting (barely standing)! target. Davis should jump at Culpepper if he is on the mend. The Dolphins will celebrate like a fraternity Christmas party if they can get a fifth (Say, wasn't that the Pats Gabriel pick?) for him.

This way the Raiders can get CJ. Culpepper gets his security blanket Moss. Moss and CJ on the outside would make the run game better. Opponent safeties would have to plat deeper and outside technique.

The Raider defense wasn't bad. Culpepper allows them to keep the potential CJ pick. If they pick up an OL guy in the draft or trade, and a TE in the draft. they will be pretty decent in 2007 if Culpepper is heathy.

I am going mention a trade that would make sense to Oakland and help the Pats. Please consider my logic. The Draft Thread "Pros" say Britt is the first to be gone here at OL. I disagree. They just signed him to a $335,000 contract including a raise. We have another OL player that all of a sudden is becoming a hot trade commodity. The rumor has it that the Browns want OT Kaczur and are willing to give up ILB Audra Davis and a lower round pic. Why not Oakland? My trade would be have the Raiders trade their second round pic #33 for Kaczur. He would be their best OL guy immediately. He can protect Culpepper on the left side. He is better than OL flopperoo Gallery. The Pats make that trade because O'Callaghan IMO, beats out Kaczur for right tackle and Britt was just signed and stays to back up. Britt started a game or two last year and did not allow a sack and his run blocking was decent. We still have solid depth even with Britt and after. And you know BB will still grab an OL stud in the draft like the underrated Denman from Fresno St. who can be had later on.

Now we have the desired second rounder to maneuver quite nicely, thank you! Ah! the possibilities..... Woodley, Merriweather, Staley, Harris, Beason, Rouse, McCauley, Gonzales, etc. (you put you choiec in that #33 slot).

This makes sense for the weak Raiders OL. They plug in an experienced starter immediately to protect the QB's life up there. He should help solidify the rest of the line, as after LOT they can set the rest of the positions. It has been documented that most of the Pats needs can be found in Round two. How about the number one pic in that round?

DW Toys

So Culpepper to Oakland then maybe Calvin Johnson to Oakland?

Do your research, the Vikes also had one of the worst rushing attacks and Defenses in 05. I love how some fans only see what they want to see then post like they know it all.

Culpepper's play in 2005 probably made Aaron Brooks cringe. He had 15 turnovers in the 6 full games he played. Over a full season that projects to 40 turnovers. There is no way to blame numbers that horrible on the rest of the team.

Especially when his injury HELPED the Vikings in 2005. Despite that same running game, same defense, same everything that supposedly caused Culpepper to struggle in 2005, Brad Johnson would go 7-2 as a starter. That including winning the first 6 in a row following the injury. 2-5 when Culpepper started, 7-2 when Johnson started.

When your starting QB is coming off an injury plagued season that included poor play when in the line-up and has now lost his job to either 38 year old Brad Johnson or 34 year old Damon Huard, you have QB issues.

Last edited:
Houston last offseason/draft could have gotten both Bush and Brees. They thought they were ok at QB with Carr and RB with Davis/Williams (whatever his name was at this point in time last year). Instead they cut Carr a year later get robbed in a trade for Schaub had to release Dominick Davis/Williams and now have Ron Dayne as their #1 back. Pretty solid going from potentially Brees and Bush to Schaub and Dayne in one year.

Actually, no they couldn't have gotten Brees last year as Brees wasn't going there. So, even adding Bush wouldn't have mattered because the O-line for the Texans has been horrible.

BTW, I suggest you get your facts straight because Ahman Green is the Texans #1 RB. Followed by Lundy, Dayne and Gado.

Now, I agree it was foolish to cut Carr and trade for Schaub. Schaub is going to have similar problems to what Carr had unless the O-line improves more.

I don't have to do my research, I remember him playing that year. He was horrendous. And he was last year too, so it's not just a fluke.

Now, I agree it was foolish to cut Carr and trade for Schaub. Schaub is going to have similar problems to what Carr had unless the O-line improves more.

I would say what was foolish was the Houston ownership forcing anyone they hired as coach to accept their belief Carr was the QB of the future last offseason. What they should have done is hired the guy they thought was the best football man and then trust his judgment.

They hired a "QB guru" as coach but then dictated QB play to him. Kubiak doesn't think Carr can play. He thinks he can't read defenses and stairs down his WRs. On top of that his teammates aren't confident in him. Cutting him was a no brainer when you factor that in. The mistake was doing it in March 2007, not March 2006.

That was a crazy statement but in all fairness to Culpepper he never had a chance to prove it since he wasn't able to get healthy. Who knows if he'll ever be 100% again?

By the way Marvez did speculate that Oakland would be the perfect spot for Culpepper.

I still think that if Culpepper were healthy that he could be a great fit in Miami. Unfortunetly, that's not the case. We may never know again if Culpepper lost it or still had it because he may never be healthy again.

As for Green, I'm quite happy with him coming in here and running an offense he already knows and hopefully tutoring BRady Quinn. ;)

Actually, no they couldn't have gotten Brees last year as Brees wasn't going there. So, even adding Bush wouldn't have mattered because the O-line for the Texans has been horrible.

BTW, I suggest you get your facts straight because Ahman Green is the Texans #1 RB. Followed by Lundy, Dayne and Gado.

According to some Brees also didn't want to play for the Saints so anything can happen. "Profootballtalk.com reports that many league insiders believe Drew Brees doesn't want to play for the Saints." Two days later he signs with the Saints.

Sorry I skipped over Green. But Kubiak has Dayne ahead of those others from what I've read. So my facts were somewhat straight. I'd rate Bush over Green as Green's on the wrong side of 30. Bush also makes his best plays on broken plays. The kind of broken plays that happen when you have a poor o-line.

Also Bush is the kind of player that in the future would have free agents wanting to play for the Texans. Guys like Brees. He also brings money and fans. There are both football reasons and financial reasons the Texans should have drafted him but thats not the debate in this thread so I'll end it at that.

Last edited:
I wonder if our resident Dolphin fans can bring me up to speed on how many draft picks and free agent QBs you guys have expended to find a starting QB since 2000?

I think I lost count but I think the total draft picks used, and draft picks given up is probably about equal to an entire draft - 6 or 7 draft picks at least. That doesn't even get into the cost of bringing in Free Agent QBs.

So are you happy with what you have to show for that?

Is Green finally "the guy"? And what are you willing to give up for him in terms of draft picks?

having watched the Chiefs up close this past year, if this trade for Green is completed, it might be the first thing Green has completed in a long time.

he threw a fit in the locker room after the playoff game. It was tipped and intercepted.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back