Welcome to PatsFans.com

CSMonitor: Media myths about the Jena 6

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Interesting article from a homer's perspective.

Media myths about the Jena 6

A local journalist tells the story you haven't heard.

By Craig Franklin
    from the October 24, 2007 edition CSMonitor

Opinion editor Josh Burek talks with Craig Franklin about the distorted story of the Jena 6.

Jena, La. - By now, almost everyone in America has heard of Jena, La., because they've all heard the story of the "Jena 6." White students hanging nooses barely punished, a schoolyard fight, excessive punishment for the six black attackers, racist local officials, public outrage and protests – the outside media made sure everyone knew the basics.

There's just one problem: The media got most of the basics wrong. In fact, I have never before witnessed such a disgrace in professional journalism. Myths replaced facts, and journalists abdicated their solemn duty to investigate every claim because they were seduced by a powerfully appealing but false narrative of racial injustice.

I should know. I live in Jena. My wife has taught at Jena High School for many years. And most important, I am probably the only reporter who has covered these events from the very beginning.

The reason the Jena cases have been propelled into the world spotlight is two-fold: First, because local officials did not speak publicly early on about the true events of the past year, the media simply formed their stories based on one-side's statements – the Jena 6. Second, the media were downright lazy in their efforts to find the truth. Often, they simply reported what they'd read on blogs, which expressed only one side of the issue.

The real story of Jena and the Jena 6 is quite different from what the national media presented. It's time to set the record straight.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1024/p09s01-coop.html?page=1

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Actually, there's not much new in there. Some of those myths I never read (for instance, I never heard that Justin Sloan attacked a black kid, and not sure what that has to do with anything) and others the media reported accurately (for instance, the media did report that the Jena 6 never brought up the nooses until later on). Also, it's worth noting that in "myth 7" the author acknowledges that there were race issues which led to fights. The issue was whether Mychal Bell deserved such a severe sentence, and once the courts came down on the side of the liberals and reduced his sentence, the issue was settled.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

It's very simple, in our politically correct world and in the liberal land of OZ it boils down to this,
    1 Black always right and even if they are wrong try to make them right.
    2 White always wrong and even if they right try to make them wrong.

Blame Bush
    Blame America
    Blame Whitey

Allah Good
    God Bad
    :bricks:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Don't you wish you were black, Harry. They have so many advantages that the rest of of just don't have. Must be great, huh. :rolleyes:

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So it was the local cows that were meant to be intimidated by the nooses hung from the tree, not the local black people.

That changes everything:rolleyes:

On a nearly completely unrelated topic: How the heck can a noose be hung from a tree but a person is always hanged with said noose? See the link, I'm sure the CSM got the usage right.

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, there is. I had't heard or seen anything in the MSM about the nooses being directed at anyone besides the black kids. The fact that the episode that touched off this whole incident was never intended to be racial is kinda important, dont'cha think..?

8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Amen. Thanks to people like you, the only legal racism in this country is racism against white people.

Liberal solutions do nothing to eliminate racism, nor are they meant to. They just simply shift the victims from one group to another.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Ah, so I take it you opposed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, and other liberal initiatives designed to get rid of racism? What specifically did people with your ideology do to combat racism?

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, no. Another faulty deduction on your part.
    Well I can tell you a greater percentage of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act than democrats (ain't facts a b*tch?). Oh, and the Republicans don't have a Klansman in the Senate (ain't facts a b*tch?).

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so what's your point?... neither party remotely resembles itself from 50-60 years ago... i believe he was talking about ideology, not political party affiliation...

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

Here is what I do not understand the CSM is usually considered to be a part o the left and thus the "so called MSM", so someone writes an editorial, not a story based on fact, and everyone thinks that this stuff is not being reported by the MSM? How can a news agency be called the so called, bad MSM, on one day and then the next day an editorial changes all of this??

I think the whole thing needs more careful examination, and there are parts of the article that sound inconclusive.. no matter how you paint the noose story, it cannot be painted as a good thing some things just cannot be spun.. to just write an editorial and not cite sources or not getting the whole story is a bunch of crap, whether it be the MSM or the real MSM (you know the wash times, herald, deseret news, worldnet, newsmax, rush, fox, hannity, coulter etc.)

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Same sort of reasoning that led you to conclude that I think blacks don't care as much about rapes as whites. I guess I have a sense of humor so am better able to understand sarcasm and facetiousness.

Ah, you didn't answer my question. No surprise there. And, by the way, the Dixiecrats almost all became Republicans, and 0% of the southern Republican voted for civil rights, even worse than southern Democrats.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Can't get into this "Race Crap" anymore, the only way to stay out of trouble is never talk about it because if your white no matter what you say YOUR WRONG, I can't talk about Football because the only thing I know about Football is that some of the players have "Dogfights" then they kill the dogs so I think I'll go sit in my gargage.

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

What's your obsession with race and Muslim? Are there a lot of Muslims and blacks in your area. Have you had a lot of bad encounters with these people? Or are your views simply based on the likes of Ann Coulter?

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

The guy who wrote the article is from Jena, and IIRC, he writes for the local paper there. His views can be looked at in a couple of ways. One, he's a home town guy, so you have to wonder if he's trying to save the image of his town, and therefore tryng to paint the brightest of pictures, or two, he's a hometown guy, and has insight, knowledge, and understanding of the actual facts, that corporate media doesn't.

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

I would suspect that there are few Muslims or Blacks on that little island off of Boothbay, so the latter part of you question may be valid.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Patters my good man, I have said many times it isn't the "Blacks" and it isn't the Muslims
    (well sometimes it's the Muslims) IT'S THE DOUBLE STANDARD that the Politically Correct use when dealing with this subject, that is my obsession.

I will have much more respect for Muslims when the "good ones" step up and condem the Savages Among Them that are raising hell all over the world.

I will have much more respect for the Liberal Media, the Politically Correct Do-Gooder and Leaders In The Black Community when they start treating Blacks and Whites equally and without favoritism.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You said that the Willie Horton ad from 1988 was geared towards whites. That clearly and logically implies you feel that it was an issue not as important to the black community. We agreed to disagree there.
    This from the king of derailing and misdirection :rolleyes: But since you insist, I will gladly answer your question... One big example of how Republicans oppose racism is by fighting to stop affirmative action laws. What could be more racist than a law that gives preferential treatment on hiring or admissions based on the color of one's skin..? I would be ashamed to support any law that separated people by skin type and gave preferential treatment to one of those groups over another. But you gladly support such disgusting, racist policies.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

So, are you implying that the vast majority of blacks, who have supported affirmative action, are self loathing and its the benevolent white Republican who has the interests of the blacks at heart? Wow, that's arrogant and condescending, not to mention ... oh, never mind. You're really not much more subtle than Harry Boy, and he doesn't even try to be subtle.