PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cry me a river: Denver fans feel BB insulted Broncos by going for it on 4th down

Status
Not open for further replies.
the point is always to win the game

fact remains

denver had a better passing attack sunday

patriots had a FAR superior running attack

there's no debate even

the discussion wasn't about the win or the loss.....

Nonsense!! At half time Brady had better stats than Manning. The commentators were all praising brady saying he was putting on a clinic. The Patriots then switched to a heavy run orientated offense because thats what the Broncos were giving them. To carry on throwing to pad stats would have been madness.

Manning had to air it out due to his team being so far behind.

Both QBs had terrific games and should both be praised - to say Manning outperformed him is simply untrue. Its like saying Brees outperformed Rodgers last year because Brees threw the ball a lot more!

Seriously??

One of the best Football minds ever to coach in the NFL, ably assisted by a great OC and one of the greatest ever QBs decide to go for it on 4th and 5 in no mans land.

The call is backed by a lot of people on this board (who appear to be intelligent football folk in my opinion) and yet you call it 'moronic' and 'mind numbingly stupid'.

Maybe its time to look in the mirror and realise you might be the bilnkered stupid person. Its a reasonable debate to have regarding the call, as there are valid reasons on both sides of the debate, but for you in your typical arrogent way to call it 'moronic' and 'mind numbingly stupid' is insulting to probably about half the decent fans on this board.

Kontra responded to the actual call, and his point is enough, but let me point something out:

I didn't call any person stupid. I called the decisions stupid. Smart people make stupid decisions, just as everyone else does.

You, on the other hand, decided to attack me personally. Now, that's fine if you want to go there. I'm a big boy, and I don't really sweat it when the resident pit chihuahas start yipping and nipping. However, if "half the decent fans on this board" are insulted because a 4th down call that they had nothing to do with was called "moronic" and "mind numbingly stupid", then "half the decent fans on this board" need to grow a tougher skin.

based on stats, peyton did outplay brady

ne had 251 rushing yards to denver's 70

that was the game right there

Peyton was throwing against a defense that was tasked with not letting him score four touchdowns in a quarter and a half. Brady basically stopped throwing because they were trying to kill the clock. Stats require context, and that's especially true for yardage. The Patriots frequently give up tons of garbage time yards when they're up big, even to bad quarterbacks.

Look at what got New England that 31-7 lead in the first place; that's where Brady made his impact on the game, and that's why the Patriots won.

That said, I don't think Brady necessarily outplayed Manning either. He didn't have to. The respective circumstances that they were put in were so dramatically different that it's impossible to tell.

Last edited:
What I found funny was how many are still butthurt over Brady's punt last year. Come on. Are these guys just delusional to look for a conspiracy theory every where? Punting on third down is a legitimate strategic call in football. They were deep in their own end with a lead. They could have run on third then punted, risking a punt return. Instead they had Brady punt on third down when the other team wasn't expecting it and it put the opposition in the hole. It is calleed a "quick kick" and has been part of football since forever. The Patriots seem to know the rules better than most other teams and because of that, they are always accused of being cheaters.

I also have never BB or Brady disrespect an opponent ever, so I don't know where the unsportsmanship accusations come from.

my logic is perfect

i never said not to run, that's dumb

of course you run when it's working, but all that rushing yard discrepancy means denver had a better passing game sunday

because the yards were 444 for NE, 402 for denver

peyton beat brady in the passing game, by yards and tds

brady beat peyton in the rushing game by yards and tds as a rb

NE's rbs killed denver's rbs

fact remains, peyton had the better game between qbs

2lnk2c.png

Oh, really? Does the NFL decide who goes to the play offs based on who throws more desperate bombs and gets more passing yards in garbage time?
Or do they decide who goes to the play offs based on wins?

Peyton didn't out play anything. 200+ yards of his total came when you were down 31-7. If Peyton out played Brady the Denver Pretenders would have been up 31-7 and not the other way around.

This is one of those situations where the saying "Stats are for losers" rings truer than ever.

Oh, really? Does the NFL decide who goes to the play offs based on who throws more desperate bombs and gets more passing yards in garbage time?
Or do they decide who goes to the play offs based on wins?

Peyton didn't out play anything. 200+ yards of his total came when you were down 31-7. If Peyton out played Brady the Denver Pretenders would have been up 31-7 and not the other way around.

This is one of those situations where the saying "Stats are for losers" rings truer than ever.

Yup, 2003-2004 all over again (let's hope that continues). And for all the talk about Manning's teammates letting him down, D Thomas made one stunning catch and one very good catch, I think it was Decker who scooped up a very low pass for a TD, and Manning overthrew a wide open Tamme. Hey, nobody's perfect, and I have a lot of respect for the way PM played Sunday, but I'll take Brady's game.

I don't really care how insulted Broncos fans were on that play, if you don't like it, stop it....oh wait they did......why are they *****ing again?

What I found funny was how many are still butthurt over Brady's punt last year. Come on. Are these guys just delusional to look for a conspiracy theory every where? Punting on third down is a legitimate strategic call in football. They were deep in their own end with a lead. They could have run on third then punted, risking a punt return. Instead they had Brady punt on third down when the other team wasn't expecting it and it put the opposition in the hole. It is calleed a "quick kick" and has been part of football since forever. The Patriots seem to know the rules better than most other teams and because of that, they are always accused of being cheaters.

I also have never BB or Brady disrespect an opponent ever, so I don't know where the unsportsmanship accusations come from.

I looked at their board after their game and didn't they have a conspiracy theory about Brady ducking?? Gotta love how other teams are so bothered by the Patriots success that they think everything they do is disrespectful or part of a conspiracy to justify their hate lol.

They day I start whining about how some team ran the score up on the Pats...just shoot me, someone, OK?

Hey, Bronco fans.
The new NFL power rankings are out.
NFL Power Rankings, Week 6: Packers drop; Bears rejoin top five - NFL.com

You dropped down to 15, right in the middle.
What's the word I'm looking for? Mediocre? Average?

I guess all that talk about Superbowls this year were just delusional rantings of people who know nothing about football.

Your team sucks. But that's okay. Because you traded your identity and pride to accomplish it by throwing your QB under the bus for one that will always go down in history as a Colt.

Oh, wait... Yeah, that's actually a pretty lousy trade off.

This is just silly. The Pats were in a bad position to kick, and punting there probably didn't gain them much field position. Was it a bad call to go for it on 4th and 5? To me it was too risky. But it doesn't make it an arrogant call.

If anything the Pats were trying to take a possession away from Manning. The play didn't work, but it wasn't necessarily an arrogant call. I didn't like the call but if anything I would classify it as respect towards Manning because the Pats would rather make a dicey move for the possible reward of denying Manning another possession in the game.

Last edited:
Congrats on Brees' record.

So, is this your official "The Saints and their fans are done pouting and want to make a fight of it again" post? Or will it all go back to "Woe is us, the League is against us, the World is against us, the Universe is against us so we're just gonna sit right here in the corner for the entire season?"

Good to see a little fight in ya!

LOL, yeah, that really didn't work out. I think the interim coaches and Brees forgot that we are not an emotional team. Saints offense is more of a machine, were every part is just suppose to do its job. The emotional out cry just made certain parts over work themselves and break the rhythm.
Having Payton there made most of the guys fall in line, and the yelling stopped.
Replaced by confidence and working together.
Thanks, its was kind of like watching the old saints. I think this offense can still torch a few teams for and 8-8, or if lucky 10-6.
But only if they got what they learned during the bolts game. Lose the emotion, and start playing ball. That and the defense has to start to get Spags new system, and we need Greer back badly, and Smith needs to be hit by a small bus ( so he's ok, but cant play), and the hand of god needs to front us 4 wins.
But yeah, we saw the fight to, that was pretty cool :)

Last edited:
It's the same old story as far as opposing fans failing to understand the concept of being in that particular situation.

It's just like Belichick wanting to show the other team more respect by not wanting to add an addition 3 pts with an easy FG, so he calls for a 4th down run up the middle etc. The other fans don't understand, plain and simple.

In this case we were in "no man's land" right outside the 35 yd line. In many, many cases football teams will choose to go for it rather than punt. If the ball takes a bad hop and ends up in the EZ, you've only gained about 15-17 yards. To me risking 15-17 yds is worth keeping the drive alive and sucking down more clock.

Obviously, a FG was not in the cards as it was too long. In many cases Belichick would have gone for it anyway, rather than add on more automatic points, so there's a chance that he'd have gone for it no matter what.

The 20 yd loss with the sack by Brady is really what made the call look so bad. If Brady doesn't take a sack and they throw an incomplete pass then it really isn't that big of a deal giving them the ball around their own 35 with a 17 point margin.

That all said, I don't necessarily agree with the call, but I don't think it should have scrutinized anywhere as badly as it was. The result of the play made it very easy to look back in hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes