PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crowd noise Sunday V Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lions head coach Jim Schwartz credited the crowds effort for the 9 (not a typo) false start penalties committed by the Bears last night on MNF.

As good as the crowd was on Sunday (idk I wasn't there, but judging from the last game I was at, I find it hard to believe they were anything but average.) does anyone think the crowd at the razor is capable of a performance even close to that?

I think a personel change is in order. Let's get the fans who can't afford these prices in there. You know, the ones who actually want to be there for the right reasons?

I know it will never happen but, imagine an experiment where for one home game, ticket prices are dramatically reduced. I firmly believe we would see a big difference in crowd performance! But who knows maybe that would fail, and maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a poor college student lol.

Sure, put a roof over the Gillette crowd and we'll sound the same. Here's some perspective for you that illustrates the problem with our stadium. I sat in my regular seats for the game, which is 2nd to last row, Sec. 236, adjacent to and now, due to Robert Kraft's HUGE expansion of the club, surrounded by the indoor club on the visitors side. There is a roof over me and now a glass wall behind me. Our section was rocking for the whole game - it sounded very loud to me; a good crowd for Gillette. My husband sat in Sec. 110, in the last row of the bottom tier, almost 50 yard line, behind the Pats bench. The back of that section is open to the main concourse. He said the crowd was quiet from where he sat. WE WERE AT THE SAME GAME!!

PS - I swore to myself that I would not answer any more "crowd noise" threads as they just annoy me. The stadium sucks because of its construction; the crowd is in general more reserved because we are a bunch of New Englanders who frown upon yahoo behavior to a certain extent; for the most part the people who go to the games are into it and cheering when appropriate, it just doesn't translate on TV. Deal with it or find a way to go so you can take matters into your own hands to make it better.

I was loud.

the crowd is in general more reserved because we are a bunch of New Englanders who frown upon yahoo behavior to a certain extent

Is making noise when the opposing team has the ball considered yahoo behavior?

No, but talking to your neighbor is.

Welcome to NE!

Of course not, and lots of people were making lots of noise on Sunday for the whole game. They even had to trot out the "Quiet, Offense at Work" sign several times when the Pats had the ball.

No, but talking to your neighbor is.

Welcome to NE!

LOL. That all depends on if you are exhibiting yahoo behavior while trying to talk to said neighbor.

LOL. That all depends on if you are exhibiting yahoo behavior while trying to talk to said neighbor.

Making eye contact with your neighbors is considered nutso in RI.

Sure, put a roof over the Gillette crowd and we'll sound the same. Here's some perspective for you that illustrates the problem with our stadium. I sat in my regular seats for the game, which is 2nd to last row, Sec. 236, adjacent to and now, due to Robert Kraft's HUGE expansion of the club, surrounded by the indoor club on the visitors side. There is a roof over me and now a glass wall behind me. Our section was rocking for the whole game - it sounded very loud to me; a good crowd for Gillette. My husband sat in Sec. 110, in the last row of the bottom tier, almost 50 yard line, behind the Pats bench. The back of that section is open to the main concourse. He said the crowd was quiet from where he sat. WE WERE AT THE SAME GAME!!

PS - I swore to myself that I would not answer any more "crowd noise" threads as they just annoy me. The stadium sucks because of its construction; the crowd is in general more reserved because we are a bunch of New Englanders who frown upon yahoo behavior to a certain extent; for the most part the people who go to the games are into it and cheering when appropriate, it just doesn't translate on TV. Deal with it or find a way to go so you can take matters into your own hands to make it better.

Obviously a dome is going to be louder than an open stadium lol. But to blame this whole debate on design is absurd. When the stadium is filled with people who can shovel out hundreds of dollars just to be seen there and not because they actually enjoy football, it's just sad. Last year when I went that's EXACTLY what I saw. Groups of people just hanging out, spening more time getting food than watching the game, and gabbing away with their friends while not even paying attention.

Well maybe I'm not being fair because at the beginning of the game there were some people screaming and cheering.....on a few third down plays too....Except WE had the ball. When we were on defense and a third down came up guess what? No energy. It's like the people surrounding me only cared when the patriots had the ball.

Didn't mean to offend you Deb, im not saying you are one of these "fans", but when your star quarterback complains about this because he is envious of the energy he sees opposing fans giving their teams there's a problem....and it ain't just structural. He even had to remind fans to drink up this year.

Now it's entirely possible I had a bad experience, and that things have gotten better but again I wouldn't know because I haven't had the luxury of going. Sorry again if you were offended.

Obviously a dome is going to be louder than an open stadium lol. But to blame this whole debate on design is absurd. When the stadium is filled with people who can shovel out hundreds of dollars just to be seen there and not because they actually enjoy football, it's just sad. Last year when I went that's EXACTLY what I saw. Groups of people just hanging out, spening more time getting food than watching the game, and gabbing away with their friends while not even paying attention.

Well maybe I'm not being fair because at the beginning of the game there were some people screaming and cheering.....on a few third down plays too....Except WE had the ball. When we were on defense and a third down came up guess what? No energy. It's like the people surrounding me only cared when the patriots had the ball.

Didn't mean to offend you Deb, im not saying you are one of these "fans", but when your star quarterback complains about this because he is envious of the energy he sees opposing fans giving their teams there's a problem....and it ain't just structural. He even had to remind fans to drink up this year.

Now it's entirely possible I had a bad experience, and that things have gotten better but again I wouldn't know because I haven't had the luxury of going. Sorry again if you were offended.

So, which preseason game was it you went to? And, what team are you a fan of?

Last edited:

I was not offended, just annoyed, as I said. I guess my gripe is that there is this perception that the whole crowd at Gillette sits there like stones for the whole game when that is just not the case. The only time that happens is when the Pats are losing big, and heck, that happens at every stadium (you know, our own QB and 52 of his closest friends manage to "take the crowd out of it" at a lot of away games). And construction IS a big problem. There are these huge sections right smack dab in the middle of the field where, when the weather gets cold, lots of people head indoors behind the weather (and sound) proof glass (and it cracks me up to read about all the people who say they would NEVER go inside if they had those seats - I guarantee you those people are a few frozen toes away from completely abandoning their principles). Then there is the upper deck, which is miles above and set back from the field - noise heads out into space from there, instead of going down to the field like it would in a dome stadium. One end of the field is completely open to the air, and the rest of it is surrounded by open-air concourses.

But, I am never going to convince others, so I will shut up now. Except I do want to get out there that I am: 1) a girl; 2) I proudly own pink Pats socks, a hat and a shirt; 3) I drink wine before every game if I get the chance and beer makes me sick, but I cheer louder than anyone around me at every game I attend. So I also get mad when people generalize about pink hat wine drinkers as not being serious fans. Some of us are more serious than you know.

Shirley you jest........

So, which preseason game was it you went to? And, what team are you a fan of?

Haha wow. Yes, because I am critical of the fans that I shared a section with that day I can't possibly be a real patriots fan. Are you serious?

And the saddest part about my whole experience was the fact that it was week 1! We were very fortunate to be given the tickets from a generous coworker of my father. ( that and he was unable to go due to circumstances beyond his control)

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, just telling what I saw. And I didn't mean to lump everyone at the games into one category as I did in my original post.

I was not offended, just annoyed, as I said. I guess my gripe is that there is this perception that the whole crowd at Gillette sits there like stones for the whole game when that is just not the case. The only time that happens is when the Pats are losing big, and heck, that happens at every stadium (you know, our own QB and 52 of his closest friends manage to "take the crowd out of it" at a lot of away games). And construction IS a big problem. There are these huge sections right smack dab in the middle of the field where, when the weather gets cold, lots of people head indoors behind the weather (and sound) proof glass (and it cracks me up to read about all the people who say they would NEVER go inside if they had those seats - I guarantee you those people are a few frozen toes away from completely abandoning their principles). Then there is the upper deck, which is miles above and set back from the field - noise heads out into space from there, instead of going down to the field like it would in a dome stadium. One end of the field is completely open to the air, and the rest of it is surrounded by open-air concourses.

But, I am never going to convince others, so I will shut up now. Except I do want to get out there that I am: 1) a girl; 2) I proudly own pink Pats socks, a hat and a shirt; 3) I drink wine before every game if I get the chance and beer makes me sick, but I cheer louder than anyone around me at every game I attend. So I also get mad when people generalize about pink hat wine drinkers as not being serious fans. Some of us are more serious than you know.

No convincing needs to be done here, I understand The stadium is part of the issue, I just don't think it's the whole. And again i shouldn't have lumped everyone into that one category. Sorry for that!

Last edited:

I honestly don't see what's so hard for people to understand about the stadium's DESIGN being a HUGE determining factor in crowd noise at Gillette. I speak from a position of knowledge missing only three Pats home games since 1993 and also having a basis of comparison via numerous away games at other NFL venues. It's a fact, plain and simple.

No convincing needs to be done here, I understand The stadium is part of the issue, I just don't think it's the whole. And again i shouldn't have lumped everyone into that one category. Sorry for that!

The stadium design is more than just "part" of the issue, it's a major, determining issue. The crowd makes ample noise at all games that would sound several times louder in an enclosed bowl arena with end zone upper decks. If anyone is "culpable" here it's the Krafts.

Last edited:
we made more noise with 20K fans back in the Shaeffer Stadium days than a packed Razor today....you actually could not hear anything but a wall of noise in Sec. 206. The fans surrounded the end zone from both sides and right on top of the end zone itself.Games that were sold out actually shook the concrete foundation with noise reverberation.

But those were different times...the hard working blue collar leather lungs could afford home games in those days...with all his friends along to boot.Miss 'em...those days...but there's always a quid pro quo...we got a shiny new state of the art facility....guess a little less noise is a small price to pay.

The stadium design is more than just "part" of the issue, it's a major, determining issue. The crowd makes ample noise at all games that would sound several times louder in an enclosed bowl arena with end zone upper decks. If anyone is "culpable" here it's the Krafts.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree scribe, because the behavior i saw that day was a total bummer and appeared to be the issue. When people are to busy hanging out to be bothered by actually paying attention to e game they're attending, it's pretty easy to not lay the blame on the design.

Again, perhaps I just had a bad experience in that aspect. Perhaps I'm just bitter because it seemed so many didn't appreciate at all where they were. Everything else was great. I was very grateful to have experienced Gillette and would obviously jump at any opportunity to go back!

When Ocho gets a catch he gets pops as loud as I've heard at football games.

THIS!

It blew my mind. His first catch got a louder cheer than Welkers big gain. Just goes to show you what a bunch of band wagoner's were in attendance. Since the Pats have become successful, the crowd has become worse and worse each year. It costs $40 to park, non stadium lots around the stadium are $50. It took me over two hours to get home and I live 35 minutes away. It literally took me close to an hour to just get out of the parking lot. That's messed up. And yes, the stadium is not configured to contain a lot of crowd noise. That said, it was as loud as Gillette has been in a while. 4:15 game, beautiful weather, many people looked to have a very good buzz on.

Last edited:

+1

Too bad this point has to be brought up again every year. There should be a sticky, with sound engineering factoids and physics of sound travel, amplitude decay with distance etc etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back