PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crowd noise at Gillette

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a HUGE Pats fan I’ve been actively reading this message board for about a year now. After seeing this topic, I felt I had to register and submit a reply.

I’ve been a Patriots season ticket holder since 1994 and I’ve been to 4 different NFL venues in the past 4 years (Green Bay, Buffalo, NY ~Giants~ and KC). Both the old Foxboro Stadium and Gillette Stadium are by far the quietest. It is true the noise gets a bit louder come playoff time, but a regular season game at Arrowhead is MUCH louder than a playoff game at Foxboro.

When I’m at a game I can not believe it when someone behind me tells me to sit down. I certainly don’t want to block someone’s view, but it’s not like we are attending a lecture or a seminar. It’s a football game! Before the games I even try to rally my fellow tailgaters by reminding everyone to be loud on D especially 3rd down. More often than not it sounds like a church.

Some of this can be blamed on the facility, but in my opinion the main reason is the lack of passion in expensive seats down low. It’s become like a sushi crowd down there (I like sushi….just not at a football game).

If more people were half as passionate about the Patriots as they are the Red Sox, the stadium would be rocking all season long. Let’s bring it this year!

zoostation said:
When I’m at a game I can not believe it when someone behind me tells me to sit down. I certainly don’t want to block someone’s view, but it’s not like we are attending a lecture or a seminar. It’s a football game!

Last year was my first as a STH. I'm in row 25, 1 from the top. I forget which game it was, but one of the STH's behind me, in the LAST FREAKIN ROW, taps me on the shoulder early in the game, and asks me to ask the guy in front of me to sit down....honest to god!! I stared at him, dumbfounded and gave him a look, like 'what are you, crazy?' I mean, it wasn't like the guy was the only one up on his feet. The defense was on the field and most of the crowd was up.

The guy actually started yelling to the fan, calling him by the name on his jersey (can't remember who, from the visiting team), over and over. The guy finally heard him, and, remarkably, sat down when he asked. And this from a STH! He and his friends talk the whole game every game and rarely seem to follow the action. I need to bring headphones or something from now on!

Last edited:
tailgater said:
The guy actually started yelling to the fan, calling him by the name on his jersey (can't remember who, from the visiting team), over and over. The guy finally heard him, and, remarkably, sat down when he asked. And this from a STH! He and his friends talk the whole game every game and rarely seem to follow the action. I need to bring headphones or something from now on!

That’s pitiful! The guy with the opposing teams jersey probably went back to his hometown laughing at how lame some “so called†Patriot fans act at games.

They were probably discussing the Red Sox spring training schedule. My sections not nearly that bad. They may be quiet, but at least they watch the game.

NEM said:
lOWER THE PRICE OF TICKETS, KICK OUT ALL THE CORPORATE SNOBS FROM THE RED seats, give away some tickets to local kids who have never seen a game..... and bring real fans back into the games.

Ibelieve I was the very first one to criticize the fans and the fan noise at Gillette, in the first year it opened, and right after the first game...I even wrote an article for patsfans.com at that time, way back when the stadium first opened, and I think its gotten worse.....

And it is a phenomenon all across the country as ticket prices are keeping real fans on the outside looking in, and the snobs who couldnt give a rats patooty about the team, are on the inside.

You hit it on the head, NEM. That was gonna be my response but I read all the other posts first. Not nearly as many pick-up trucks in the lots as years past. You go up to a game in Buffalo, and the people are much more "blue-collar" and louder. A couple of years ago, I actually saw two chicks in a full fist fight in the end zone there, just like the old days in Shaefer Stadium.

I was part of a group who came over from the UK last year for the Saints game, and I agree with pretty much everything that has been said here. Atmosphere in the parking lot was superb; I've not been to a better tailgate, but inside the stadium (we were in the South end zone) was like a library. Maybe it's the stadium design, the ticket prices, the comfy seats...but the atmosphere was probably the worst I have experienced at a football game. OK, it wasn't the greatest game ever played, and in fact the result was pretty insignificant. But it wasn't helped by the the fact that, come the 4th quarter when the game was on the line, about half of our section had already gone home. Anyone who pays $90 for a seat and then leaves early to beat the traffic (and this was a 1.00pm kickoff remember) really has to question their motivation.
And the NFL requesting teams not play Rock and Roll Part II is some of the best news I have heard this summer. OK, in the UK we're more exposed to the Gary Glitter story, but remember that this is a guy who has now been convicted and imprisoned for sexual crimes against children in two seperate countries, and who tried to pay off the family of his victims (which, it has been claimed, may have saved him from the death penalty in Vietnam). To me, hearing fans singing along to R&Rpt2 was almost physically sickening.

NEM said:
lOWER THE PRICE OF TICKETS, KICK OUT ALL THE CORPORATE SNOBS FROM THE RED seats, give away some tickets to local kids who have never seen a game..... and bring real fans back into the games.

Ibelieve I was the very first one to criticize the fans and the fan noise at Gillette, in the first year it opened, and right after the first game...I even wrote an article for patsfans.com at that time, way back when the stadium first opened, and I think its gotten worse.....

And it is a phenomenon all across the country as ticket prices are keeping real fans on the outside looking in, and the snobs who couldnt give a rats patooty about the team, are on the inside.
Economics is a huge part of it. The first year in the new stadium was such a blow for a lot of the old time fans with the ticket prices (at the time $99 in my section) Last year with the increase to $125 I had new faces around me every game with a lot of them attending their first game and not real football fans. A lot of the fans from the old days can't afford to go to all the games and are forced to sell a lot of their games. It is a problem everywhere but I think worse here because we have the highest ticket prices.

I notice three things, the noise does not rock inside the stadium well, it seems to "vaporize into thin air"..

The second thing is the number of impaired folk at the football game, never could understand why you pay so much to get blitzed, come to the game and sit there immobilized instead of getting into the game. There also seems to be a lot of "non-fans" at any given game, who come because they get tix and bring their non football fan family.

The third thing is the "open" ends of the stadium, sat in the 200 section last year near the McDonalds end, could not hear much noise there at all. I do not think this stadium holds the noise well.

I've been to Gillette three times and sat in the nosebleeds each time. I've had mixed reviews about the crowd noise. On third downs I've always stood up and everyone around me has as well and we've always made noise. But sometimes thats the only time the noise is made. Last year vs Tampa Bay, Willie McGinest picked up a fumble and was running and I was yelling for him to score and I felt like a fool because I was basically the only one making noise. Does anyone know how to reach Robert Kraft and tell him about our crowd noise concern. I'm sure he could do SOMETHING about it with his golden touch.:rocker:

Lets go 8-0 at home this season.The Razor should be the loudest its ever been in week 3 when we face the broncos.Me and my clique will be so crunk on this night.

totally true, NEM

yr first post on this thread respect imho the true at 100%

nothing new...: we allready discussed this topic different times and probably it will become worst in the future

it is difficult to have tickets for the games and the 'real fans' can probably not afford to go there for money reasons when they could have a ticket

but, everywhere, the money it is the only thing...
in Italy we have more or less the same problem too...
the stadiums were full in the '80...and now they are full only on the big games...why ? the cost of the ticket...plus tv...

personally if i could be at The Razor i would be a REAL FAN - no doubt at all !

i should stay there till the last second of any game !

but i see Gillette Stadium quite loud only on very important games + play-offs - not more and still as said before the athmosfera at KC is very different...

pity also what i read about 'fans' that are asking to sit down...bad...sad...

It's hard to tell if I'm in Church or at Gillette on Football Sunday. Too many of these corporate clowns are taking up the seats.

TomBradyWoot said:
Robert Kraft and tell him about our crowd noise concern. I'm sure he could do SOMETHING about it with his golden touch.:rocker:

Indianapolis has been accused of piping noise through the pa/sound system. If I’m not mistaking Pittsburgh has too. I know Robert Kraft is not going to play that game (maybe he should????).

If Gillette fans were half as loud as they are during the “first down†chant, it would give the Patriots a significant home field advantage (this is the one where the pa announcer says “Pass complete to Troy Brown, ball will be marked on the 48 yard line, this play results in a Patriot†and then most of the stadium yells FIRST DOWN like a bunch of trained dogs).

All I can say about all this is it makes me sad. Not tryin to break out the violin or anything, but i have'nt been able to make it to foxboro since 1996.
Mainly for financial reasons. But when I watch on TV, my wife usually leaves the house. It's just too loud and too "intense" for her. And to have a bunch of corporate schmoozers and schmoozies taking up so much space in the stadium... well it bugs me. I guess it must come down to $$$.
I salute all of you who do get wild and to paraphrase a previous post - Crunk it up.

NEM said:
The Broncos started that kind of thing with their INCOMPLETE chant. I think it sucks.

I think we should mock the Broncos and chant that when they throw incompletions ;)

As someone who grew up up going to games at the old stadium I will finally get to see Brady et al in action opening day against Buffalo and I am excited beyond words. Can't believe how expensive it has gotten, but I will be happy to be stuck with the real fans up in the 300s with all my Pats garb on, screaming my guts out...

I laugh now remembering in high school when I was a cameraman for a town cable access show that got full press credentials to a Pats/Saints game. There I was, 16 years old, on the field, in the locker room interviewing Fred Smerlas about where he got his sweater with an already ancient 3/4" Camera (yes this was cable access at it's finest). Can't imagine anything like that happening now. How lucky I was. Guess it's the price we pay for having the best team in football.

letekro said:
Does anyone think this phenomenon has anything to do with the jadedness that comes from winning 3 out of 4 super bowls (as evidenced by, among other things, the low turnout at SB XXXIX)? If so, do you think that the noise will increase this year as there is a definite note of retribution to this season (towards Denver and Indy in particular)?
No, the crowd noise has always sucked at Gillette. Always. Having been to many other venues, it may be the worst in the league. Always has been since the day it opened.

Probably a combination of the way it was built and the ticket prices changing the face of Pats fans that can attend games in prime areas of the stadium since they left Foxboro Stadium.

J D Sal

Last edited by a moderator:
No team [especially Indy] wants to face us in the snow at home during the playoffs.We're 1 of the best snow playing teams in NFL history.

Haterproof said:
No team [especially Indy] wants to face us in the snow at home during the playoffs.We're 1 of the best snow playing teams in NFL history.

What's that have to do with the crowd noise?

Haterproof said:

i think the thread has another 'issue'.

and, as many fans are saying, the Razor is not surely very loud...

and difficult to see that it will become loud...

when it is snowing surely we have a better 'home field advantage' but the crowd noise at Gillette is another story imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one thing that everyone that goes has to learn is that you can yell WHILE YOUR SITTING DOWN TOO. The funniest thing is that most people only yell when the rest of thier section is standing up doing the same thing. It's funny because I actually take a bag of advil in with me and about half time me and my friends all have to take a bunch because of the headaches we have from yelling so much. In fact we even make sure one of us is loud if the other needs a break. I haven't got a "please sit down" in about 10 years but I can bet you that I won't be able to talk for 3 days after any home game. The guys I go with are the same. It's a badge of honor with us to not be able to talk, feels like we've done our part. We don't have to be an ahole to other fans (vulgar although it does slip in the heat of the moment, in thier face, or in thier way) but yelling at the top our lungs even while on our asses doesn't harm anyone. Again, too often fans equate being loud with standing up on 3rd down. Every D play. And if you can't yell, use those 2 things at the end of your arms to make noise. You can slam them together to make a clapping noise without hurting your voice. Too often people are zombies who don't even do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down