PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crowd noise at Gillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

richpats

Banned
Reaction score
What's your take on the crowd noise at Gillette? I know the players took a jab at the fans last year for not making enough noise but I think during primetime or playoff games (especially snow games) this place can be electric.

This coming season there are a few grudge matches (Denver, Miami, Indy) that I feel the team will really need the fans to come alive and make The Razor not-so-welcome. Hopefully we can all step up to the challenge like we did at the end of last year.

I know I'll be standing up and yelling against Denver the whole night, just to let them feel what its like to play us on the road instead of their rocky-mountain confines.

I've had season tickets in the south end zone for 12 years. The crowd noise has hit an all time low in our section. I can't speak for the rest of the fans but I will say that this stadium is not built to retain crowd noise.

Does anyone think this phenomenon has anything to do with the jadedness that comes from winning 3 out of 4 super bowls (as evidenced by, among other things, the low turnout at SB XXXIX)? If so, do you think that the noise will increase this year as there is a definite note of retribution to this season (towards Denver and Indy in particular)?

bunzoburns said:
I can't speak for the rest of the fans but I will say that this stadium is not built to retain crowd noise.

Totally agree there. I remember seeing the designs for the new stadium and thinking, "where are all of the end zone seats?" That big gap at the Pats locker room annoys me, it's just a little too big. IMO the design of the end zone sections isn't too intimidating for opposing teams.

Gillette is a first-class facility, but not designed to be a hostile environment a la KC, Denver or Seattle.

letekro said:
Does anyone think this phenomenon has anything to do with the jadedness that comes from winning 3 out of 4 super bowls (as evidenced by, among other things, the low turnout at SB XXXIX)? If so, do you think that the noise will increase this year as there is a definite note of retribution to this season (towards Denver and Indy in particular)?

I definitely think that winning a few championships in a short period of time can take the hunger out of a fan the same as a player, there's just not the same sense of urgency. As for SB39, remember that it was Philly's first SB in 25 years and their fans had tasted defeat in the NFC title game 3 years straight, so it was a trip way past due for them. I figure the trip can be pretty expensive for the average fan, hence less presence for our 3rd trip in 4 years.

Retribution - you betcha. Last season, though not a complete disaster, was littered with some bad performances and whippings by our most hated rivals. Considering Denver seems to get 3 home games to our 1, you bet there should be some hostility come September :)

The crowd noise at gillette reminds me of the crowd noise at the Staples Center, none! Every time I watch the Pats at home I don't hear the crowd getting involved what so ever. It's so weak you can hear Tom Brady and his audibles, Omaha GO! When ever the camera cuts to Pats fans, I just see them sitting in the stands like "there's a game"?

The fact that you can hear Brady call his audibles is a good thing.

You want dead silence when your offense has the ball.

Last edited:
dhamz said:

Good point- "Quiet - offense at work" :)

If you start hearing Plummer's or Manning's audibles, start to worry.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Plummer never audibles :)

Last edited:
Seymour was mad last year. He said we dont make noise..said we only make noise when we win the SB and have a streak and even called some fans out calling them not loyal i believe. Definatley can get louder..need to be

richpats said:
I definitely think that winning a few championships in a short period of time can take the hunger out of a fan the same as a player, there's just not the same sense of urgency. As for SB39, remember that it was Philly's first SB in 25 years and their fans had tasted defeat in the NFC title game 3 years straight, so it was a trip way past due for them. I figure the trip can be pretty expensive for the average fan, hence less presence for our 3rd trip in 4 years.

Retribution - you betcha. Last season, though not a complete disaster, was littered with some bad performances and whippings by our most hated rivals. Considering Denver seems to get 3 home games to our 1, you bet there should be some hostility come September :)
As a comparison I went to both Broncos games last year. The first game was relatively quiet and a lot of the fans complained that the crowd noise wasn't even close to the old Mile High even though they tried to design the stadium to make noise (high end zones) The second game was very loud but I didn't think the fans sitting near me were as crazy as ours were for our playoff games. So I guess design is part of the problem and complacency the other but don't shortchange our fans because I thought we were better than Denvers. This is going to be a fun year. Denver is my number 1 game and I will have some the Bronco fans who I tailgated with coming out. That for another post as we get closer.

richpats said:
Totally agree there. I remember seeing the designs for the new stadium and thinking, "where are all of the end zone seats?" That big gap at the Pats locker room annoys me, it's just a little too big. IMO the design of the end zone sections isn't too intimidating for opposing teams.

Gillette is a first-class facility, but not designed to be a hostile environment a la KC, Denver or Seattle.
Its time for Pats fans to turn the Razor upside down this season.We must make it a living Hell for visiting teams this season especially Denver and Indy.I must say that the Razor was very electric in 03 and 04. IMO Arrowhead is hands the most difficult place in the NFL for visting teams to get a win in the regular season.How ever the Razor rivals Arrowhead in the playoffs.No team wants to play the Pats at home in January.

Haterproof said:
Its time for Pats fans to turn the Razor upside down this season.We must make it a living Hell for visiting teams this season especially Denver and Indy.

Yeah, that's the spirit!

Somebody wake up NEM. He's missing his chance for a good Red Seat tirade, and we haven't had one of those in a looooong time. ;)

I think that it does involve the winning. I think that we have gotten spoiled over the years.

Hell we can all remember the times when the noise would be very loud if we just had a chance to win a game.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Somebody wake up NEM. He's missing his chance for a good Red Seat tirade, and we haven't had one of those in a looooong time. ;)

Now, why did you go and do that? Just post his last 5 on the subject and nothing will change.

Last edited by a moderator:
PATSNUTme said:
I think that it does involve the winning. I think that we have gotten spoiled over the years.

Hell we can all remember the times when the noise would be very loud if we just had a chance to win a game.

Gets me thinkin' about Mickey's line to Rocky in "Rocky III":

"Hell you ain't been hungry since you won that belt!"

We need to get the "eye of the tiger" back this fall :)

i think we discussed it many times in the past.
i am not convinced, for several reasons, The Razor is and will be a very loud stadium.
still i hope that in the important games (allready mentioned) the crowd will do his part this year.

as we said before Schaefer-Sullivan-Foxboro stadium had another 'special athmosfera'

dhamz said:

oh yeah, I didn't catch that. My bad! :D

season ticket holder since pre-lombardi's here.... the noise sucks... no other word for it.... the club seats (i have them, but wont sit there), and their associated gaps ("to separate us from the other fans", per NEP, at my sales presentation) took out the entire 2nd level between the goallines... the morons in the red seats, in general, have almost zero knowledge of football.... they got the tix from work...they sit there and talk about work... it is very sad... i personally talked to vince wilfork about it, and he said his college (SEC) games were much louder, and that the players do in fact feed off the noise.

I also think a lot of it has to do with the scoreboard/sound guy/girl... where did "hells bells" go on 3rd down? even if you werent paying attention, "hells bells" told you to smarten up and make noise... i guess RnR part II will be gone this year (the "hey song"), due to an NFL request... the scoreboard worker needs to flash "quiet, offense at work" on O 3rd downs (last time i sat in my red seats, the morons all made noise on offensive 3rd downs)... then, flash "make some noise" on D 3rd downs....

ok... my longest post ever, but ya hit a nerve.... one that patriot players agree with... many of our fans need a lot of football education.... it's not the stadium, it's the fans.

PatsWorldChamps said:
season ticket holder since pre-lombardi's here.... the noise sucks... no other word for it.... the club seats (i have them, but wont sit there), and their associated gaps ("to separate us from the other fans", per NEP, at my sales presentation) took out the entire 2nd level between the goallines... the morons in the red seats, in general, have almost zero knowledge of football.... they got the tix from work...they sit there and talk about work... it is very sad... i personally talked to vince wilfork about it, and he said his college (SEC) games were much louder, and that the players do in fact feed off the noise.

I also think a lot of it has to do with the scoreboard/sound guy/girl... where did "hells bells" go on 3rd down? even if you werent paying attention, "hells bells" told you to smarten up and make noise... i guess RnR part II will be gone this year (the "hey song"), due to an NFL request... the scoreboard worker needs to flash "quiet, offense at work" on O 3rd downs (last time i sat in my red seats, the morons all made noise on offensive 3rd downs)... then, flash "make some noise" on D 3rd downs....

ok... my longest post ever, but ya hit a nerve.... one that patriot players agree with... many of our fans need a lot of football education.... it's not the stadium, it's the fans.

No RnR part II. That sucks. I think of football whenever I hear it.

The song is bigger than the POS pervert who recorded it. I just downloaded it to my MP3 to get ready for football.

Oh well, I'll play it in front of my TV because my chances of getting a tix to a game is worst than a snowball in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes