PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocE

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If posters are mocked for questioning Coach Belichick's decision making in this game, when is it ok to criticize the coach/team? I don't think Coach Belichick is above being criticized for decisions he makes, even if you admire his track record.

If you disagree with posters who have issues with how Coach Belichick handled this game, then debate them with YOUR opinions. Hiding behind modified versions of "In BB we trust" to call someone an idiot is not intelligent conversation.

It would be nice to see debates here that don't devolve in to mocking a poster for thinking he knows more than BB.

Just my opinion, but I believe many posters on this board are capable of making one or two better decisions than Coach Belichick. I don't believe anyone on this site could make consistently better decisions than Coach Belichick. It's not unheard of for anyone to make mistakes, no matter how great they are.

Just my opinion, but I believe many posters on this board are capable of making one or two better decisions than Coach Belichick. I don't believe anyone on this site could make consistently better decisions than Coach Belichick. It's not unheard of for anyone to make mistakes, no matter how great they are.

Not even one.................of course BB makes mistakes, but the only way a better decison could possibly be made by anyone from this board (including me) versus BB would be in a coin flip and you happened to guess right.

The guy has a lifetime of coaching and football experience.....case closed.

You're entirely right. We've had several infractions handed out today and in the past few weeks for personal bullying based on differing opinions not matching up with the world view of others.

Folks, attack the point, not the poster.

Very simple.

ugghhh...... the drama of messgeboards.

Just my opinion, but I believe many posters on this board are capable of making one or two better decisions than Coach Belichick.

That was good for a laugh. I needed that especially after what happened this afternoon.

never, unless you want people questioning your fanhood:rolleyes:

You are in the wrong place if you want to see debate of opinions.

Somewhere after the 2007 Super Bowl this place became nothing but a battle of extremes. You got the sky is falling crowd on one side who talk about how the Pats are terrible and the blind homers on the other side who bash any post that could be viewed as critical of the team, coach, qb, defense, owner, etc.

As always the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Of course, if you dare to point that out then you will likely get attacked by both factions.

I agree with Dhamz. I've been around here since 2001 but I don't find the board very interesting anymore and I am generally disappointed when I read thread hoping to learn something. I think the turning point for me was Spygate, but his point stands.

Not even one.................of course BB makes mistakes, but the only way a better decison could possibly be made by anyone from this board (including me) versus BB would be in a coin flip and you happened to guess right.

The guy has a lifetime of coaching and football experience.....case closed.

YOUR case is closed.
I and many others, including some pro's on the NFL network, think it was foolish of BB to leave Tom Brady in the game and exposed for more injuries when he's already hurt. Very very poor personnel management today.
This has easily been Belichick's worst year with the Patriots in the decision making dept. Perhaps Bill has bitten off more than he can chew and it's time to hire to LEGIT co-ordinators??

YOUR case is closed.
I and many others, including some pro's on the NFL network, think it was foolish of BB to leave Tom Brady in the game and exposed for more injuries when he's already hurt. Very very poor personnel management today.
This has easily been Belichick's worst year with the Patriots in the decision making dept. Perhaps Bill has bitten off more than he can chew and it's time to hire to LEGIT co-ordinators??

Which buffoons on the NFL Network think it was foolish to leave Brady in? If they were using the NON-CONTACT injury of Welker's knee as support for their argument, then you and they need to be reminded that the same injury could have happened in practice or walking down his icy driveway.

It's only your ignorant opinion that it was poor personnel management today. You have ZERO experience to support your opinion. None. Zilch. Nada.

As for this idea that Bill doesn't have legit coordinators (there is no hyphen by the way), the team has a legit Defensive Coordinator. The team doesn't have an Offensive Coordinator because BB believes in developing and promoting from within. And, his 5 SB rings back it up.

YOUR case is closed.

And exactly what experience do you bring to leave me with feeling you have any credibility at all??

Would it be your opinion or are you basing your trashing of BB for the year on the taking heads on NFL Network??

I think you should apply for coordinator or coachs assistant, I am sure you would get the job.

Look, I know football from a fans persepective for over 50 years and can certainly throw stones as well as anyone, including you, if I choose to monday morning QB. I know that BB and the other coaches in the NFL are at the top of their profession and are experts - I sure wouldn't try to teach a mechanic how to fix my car even if I thought I knew how.

It's often hard to seperate the poster from the point, as was said above. Take the following quote: Nice to hear the Choir singing my tune finally...the 2009 Pats are pretenders. Hopefully, you guys will get on board to address the "Belichick" issue after the season.

Now, the 2009 Pats are pretenders is a fine opinion...I disagreed until Welker went down, but that is neither here nor there. The second line is where I have a problem...this poster has been babbling on about how Bill Belichick's "magic is gone" and wanting him off the team since Super Bowl 42. It's ridiculous. And I can't attack that point without attacking that poster, because it's such a kneejerk opinion. (I have put that poster on ignore, but alot of other people have to read the inane stupidity he posts)

What I don't get about the OP is, why does he assume that the name calling comes solely from those defending Belichick?

YOUR case is closed.

When ever a team has a big injury like this, people question the coach's decision to keep players in. When it doesn't happen, they seem to think it is a good thing. At least that is the case with the media.

Last week people blasted Jim Caldwell for pulling Manning and company not only for blowing history, but ruining their momentum. This week it is Belichick is stupid for leaving players in the game.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with keeping Brady in. He needs to develop some continuity with Edelman, Aiken, and other receivers now that his primary target is done. This is the last time in real game situations that Brady has the chance to do that before the playoffs. The Pats needed to take advantage of the situation when it was there. Winning the game wasn't the priority. Making sure Brady and Edelman were on the same page was.

Welker could have gotten this injury in practice. He blew out his knee making a cut untouched. Should the Pats not practice Brady and Moss to avoid injuries.

I have questioned many of Belichick's decisions in the past, but not this one.

I think people critical of the coaching staff's decisions would find their posts received better if they took some of the attitude out of it. I understand that we're all football fans here, and we can pretty worked up over our team, but there's really nothing useful about some of the bitterness, spite and outrage you hear in a lot of posts when things don't go well for the team.

This board seems to be a lot of peoples' forum to vent their frustrations. Is a first round draft pick under-performing? Let's come up with nasty nicknames for him, and question his effort/maturity/masculinity every chance we get. Do we have an under-performing unit on our defense? Why don't we all whine about how "inexcusable" this is, and accuse our FO of neglect. And forget about our team's coordinators -- each one of them has been a know-nothing ass, until he's coaching some other team.

It's not that I don't understand the frustration, it's the finger-pointing that seems out of turn. A lot of angry posters seem unwilling to accept that not every problem for the team is caused by malpractice or incompetence. You can make all the "right" decisions given the information available at the time, and have them all blow up in your face. Just because the Pats lose doesn't mean someone is to blame.

Speaking of available information, posters need to remember just how much more of it the coaches have than we do. Second-guessing one of BB's decisions isn't hubris because of how high we've exalted our coach, but because of the fact that he's just privy to so much more of what's going on with the team than a fan or talking head could ever be. We don't see them in practice, we don't see them in film study, we don't see them in the weight-room, and we don't have the baseline metrics to compare it to.

So let's keep in mind that while the coaches might not know better than we do, they will always know much, more more.

Think of it like this -- ever notice how hesitant and deferential doctors are when asked to comment on the injury situation of players who aren't their patients? They'll share some general information, but they are always at pains to remind the reporter that without having examined the patient or any of his X-rays and MRI's themselves, they can't form anything resembling a professional opinion.

We need to remember that, like the doctor, we are outside observers of the Patriots when compared to even the most junior assistant coach. If we keep that in mind, maybe our criticisms and 2nd guesses of our coaches will be more thoughtful and searching, as opposed to snarky and bombastic.

What I don't get about the OP is, why does he assume that the name calling comes solely from those defending Belichick?

It comes from both sides of the equation.

The main point is that it is better for everybody and for everybody's understanding if the debate can be about the point and not the poster.

the only criticism i have of people is when they drudge up draft boards and go well i would have picked this or that or how could they let jarred allen e.t.c go. It is easy to do this when they are now pro bowlers. but no one writes on this board. i never would have picked vollmer/brady/samuel or other hits we made in late rounds. yes BB makes mistakes like anyone but the question still remains he is still in my opinion the best coach and one of the best FO men in the league roled into one and has built this team into the best this decade so i can take the bad with the good knowing that.

Interesting most of the Colts stars played at least a half... it is what it is, getting ready for the playoffs.... not sure BB knows how to do it any other way.

If posters are mocked for questioning Coach Belichick's decision making in this game, when is it ok to criticize the coach/team? I don't think Coach Belichick is above being criticized for decisions he makes, even if you admire his track record.

If you disagree with posters who have issues with how Coach Belichick handled this game, then debate them with YOUR opinions. Hiding behind modified versions of "In BB we trust" to call someone an idiot is not intelligent conversation.

It would be nice to see debates here that don't devolve in to mocking a poster for thinking he knows more than BB.

Being mocked is part of being on message board. Being called names and insulted in a personal way, is not.

I've been mocked and ridiculed many times mostly because of my draft picks. It gives me greater satisfaction when I'm proven right.:cool:

As far as making better decisions than BB, it's always easier to make decisions when you are not accountable for them. It's always easier to make the right decisions with the benefit of hind sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes