Welcome to PatsFans.com

Criticism of The Blind Side Book, Movie

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Nov 29, 2009.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

'The Blind Side': Predictable Liberal Critics, Predictable Criticism | NewsBusters.org

I'm not sure if the author above, or the many comments below that article, actually 'get' the criticism of the movie. The comments are full of non-related things bashing the 'liberal media', liberals, Obama, and government.

I have read the book and also seen the movie. I think both were pretty well written/produced. Oher's story really is miraculous, and the Toohey's did a beautiful thing in giving a destitute teen a chance at life.

However, the same criticism remains, which was even more pronounced in Lewis' non-fiction book: that it's not clear if the Toohey's would have helped Oher if he weren't a freakishly athletic 6'8 350 pound athlete (in fact the book makes it sound like that is why Oher was adopted). That is the biggest criticism, which the above article doesn't address. The author above also includes prose which suggests he/she holds certain disturbing views based on race.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

It's a good story ... haters always hate on good stories especially Christian stories. Being white and Christian is not a good career move these days.

Good post ... hopefully stories and movies like these get at least 1 more couple to adopt at least 1 one more child. My wife was adopted ... children need guidance and if possible parents ... regardless of race, sex, or religion good people are in great need for children.
  3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 12 / -2

I enjoyed the movie. A nice feel good movie for the holiday season.

It is no suprise that the liberal reviews were not crazy about the movie.

If the Toohey's were black & Oher was white, it would be the top rated book
    in Oprah's book club & the reviews would be great across the board.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have no plans to see the movie but I am nevertheless holding out hope that Sandra bullock will adopt me. :D
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Thought the story on Oher was secondary to story in the book about the evolution of the Left Tackle and the implications that BB had as essentially he was the coach of LT, who caused the necessity to change the role of the LT...

The Oher story was ok, but it was somewhat tainted when Ty Warren said something about him having a big mouth... without regard props to Oher, stepping in as a rookie to a left tackle positioh is huge..
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Another thing was Mr. Toohey had a much bigger role in the book/real-story, he was probably the 2nd main character after Oher in the book. I guess since it had Sanda Bullock in the movie they had to make it like it was all the mother who was driving things.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009