PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cris Carter: Pats no longer an elite offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will tell u this much.I expect teams to blitz Brady even more now.That security blanket is now gone.

That doesn't even make sense, Moss was never a security blanket against the blitz. Brady has destroyed the blitz his entire career, they will blitz him at their own peril.

You don't need to have an elite offense to win, just need Vegas on your side like what the Giant did in '07.

Rob, come on now. Moss burned Revis before any tweak of any hamstring. And he should have had a 2nd TD that he dropped in the endzone.

Again, we will never know for sure.

As for the other could of TD, he didn't catch it. When Braylon Edwards and his hands of stone (although not this year) drops passes like that, it is a negative. Moss has dropped more than his fair share of passes in the last dozen of games he has played. Don't look at that as a positive although it isn't always his fault and many times it is as much or more Brady's.

Nonsense. The Patriots most dominating year was 2007.

You're nonsense Deus! Please remind me how that super bowl worked out?

I stand by my statement that the Patriots BEST years were when they had no-name receivers. I stand by it because it's true.

Besides, I always felt Moss was a self-centered baby. And now, he's GONE!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Randy!

Last edited:
Again, we will never know for sure.

I know for sure, you are pretending to not know for sure. That ball hits his hand at BEST at the same time Revis clutches the hamstring. Make whatever excuse you want, you won't change the facts.

As for the other could of TD, he didn't catch it. When Braylon Edwards and his hands of stone (although not this year) drops passes like that, it is a negative. Moss has dropped more than his fair share of passes in the last dozen of games he has played. Don't look at that as a positive although it isn't always his fault and many times it is as much or more Brady's.

It's more likely to be a fluke in Moss' case considering the huge sample size we have of Moss having good hands. But I guess you can pretend the guy is battling arhtritis or something in his "old" age.

Per Rappaport twitter:

In my opinion I think Carter is dead wrong. There might be less vertical threat, and not as much stretched field, but I think we will find a way, as we always seem to do.

How the hell do any of us know if the Pats will still be elite without arguably the biggest piece not named Brady in the offense.

I stand by my statement that the Patriots BEST years were when they had no-name receivers. I stand by it because it's true.

No it's not it's revisionist and the defenses were dominant. For example the defense won the 2003 titans game while Brady and the receivers couldn't do a damn thing for most of the game.

The only argument for "no-name" receivers is cap better spent on defense vs. receiver but that's moot in the 2010 situation. The team didn't win the superbowl simply -because- they had no-name receivers and they didn't lose it in 07 because they had Moss.

I am sure the pats will find a way to move the ball and score some tds.Its not an elite offense though.Nobody will be scare of anyone on this offense.Even Wes.

Most dominating year was clearly '07, you cant get much more dominant when you go 16-0 in the regular season.

In terms of BEST years, look at their defense in those years. Those teams were carried and led by their defenses. They could get away with having no name receivers because their defense was so good and the offense knew that they didnt need to score every possession

Army, the Patriots most dominating years were when we had no receiving stars and Brady would throw to anyone who was open.

Man, I'd love to see us return to that old formula. Which reminds me...didn't the Pats BEAT the greatest show on turf? You know, the Rams. I think they had a bunch of receiving stars back then. And how about the Colts? How many championships did they win with both Harrison & Wayne?

I'm almost positive our defense was FAR superior to what it currently is in the years you are referring to.

Without looking at the other teams that scored more than 96 points and how many they have scored on defense and special teams, it would make them seventh. Gotta think at least several of the teams ahead of them have a few special team and/or defensive TDs.

Besides, I think the Pats only scored 4 special teams/defensive TDs (two in the first game and two on Monday). That makes it 103 offensive points that makes them the sixth best scoring offense without looking at the other teams and whether they scored on special teams or defense.

Just on Monday I recall off the top of my head a kick off return, an INT return, andd a field goal block return. Then of course there was the punt block that turned into a TD shortly after that a stickler might not attribute to the offense.

How many Super Bowls did Cris Carter win again?

Oh, right, zero. Despite playing in an offense with himself, Moss and Jake Reed that broke records for points scored.

What does an 'elite' offense do for you again? Oh, right, jack and ****.

The question should be now is, if this team is a playoff team in ur mind now?

I don't disagree with Chris Carter. The Pats lost that receiver other teams feared, the only one we had with proven deep speed. The receiving corp consists of one great receiver (Welker), two rookie TE's (who obviously look like they CAN be studs), one receiver who has played 5 NFL games (Tate), one seemingly hobbled receiver (Edelman), and a rookie receiver who hasn't played an official NFL regular season game yet (Price). Our starting RB's are two undrafted free agents whose career totals are 746 career rushing yards. 90% of the time, Welker and Hernandez are our running game on those short passes. The offense scored 24 against Cincy, 14 against the Jets, 38 against putrid Buffalo, and 20 against Miami. And except for the last game, most of the points are scored in the first half.

I don't know how this offense will stack up against good defenses, but I guess we will see next week. What I DO like, is now Brady won't be trying to force the long ball to Moss everytime we get behind. Hopefully we will have a more balanced offense, and hopefully this means more catches for everyone. I'd love to see Price get in some games.

I don't understand why more people aren't looking at this as a positive. Why can't this be a launching point for this young receiving core to prove themselves and solidify themselves in this league? Of course there should be skepticism due to their lack of experience, but i guarantee if half of these guys blow up into perennial powerhouse targets for Brady in the next couple of years, you guys are gonna go down on BB faster than he can get it up. All i'm saying is give them a chance and let them prove that they belong on the New England Patriots. Why would you be a Pats fan if you can't be optimistic about the young talent on your own team?

The Patriots set the NFL scoring record in 2007, while going 16-0 during the season. Only the clueless would claim that offense wasn't the most dominating offense.

Last edited:
We'll see

Randy Moss was what most teams planned for, who are they going to be afraid of now? Sure Wes can carve up teams underneath, but with nobody dragging defenders down field or at least bringing a lot of attention to their side I think this offense is going to become a disappointment.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't deny that a lot of what the Pats do offensively is because of the attention Moss gets.

Very well said....I think that as of today carter is right..we still have Brady but we lost the other biggest offensive weapon we had...he was a game changer and did a lot of things for this team besides catching long bombs....right now we don't have that threat that is going to draw the double coverages and stretch the field. Opposing DC aren't going to have to prepare game plans based on one incredible talent...things will be different...but who knows maybe Tate, price, and hernandez will emerge and go nuts...

I would have felt a little better if we got Bernard Berrian in the deal as well.At least give us a body.Berrian hasnt played well but its something.

I think we can still be elite if guys step up, but I don't see why we should be upset about this opinion. Defenses rolled their coverage to where Randy was, created passing lanes for everyone else, and because safeties had to stay deep, helped our running game.

I know for sure, you are pretending to not know for sure. That ball hits his hand at BEST at the same time Revis clutches the hamstring. Make whatever excuse you want, you won't change the facts.

First of all Revis hurt his hamstring days before the game. So he could have been hampered by it all game.

Second, when he grabbed his hamstring might not have been the exact moment it it went out on him.

It's more likely to be a fluke in Moss' case considering the huge sample size we have of Moss having good hands. But I guess you can pretend the guy is battling arhtritis or something in his "old" age.

Ok, a near season long fluke. I buy that. He has dropped a bunch of passes since November of last year and they were all flukes except for the one that are Brady's fault. There have been clearly passes that he has dropped over the last year that he would have caught in 2007 and 2008.

The Pats best years was when they had a great defense. It had little to do with the offense other than an offense that didn't make mistakes (except in 2004 when the offense and defense was balanced). Actually I thought the 2003 offense was mediocre at best, but it was the best defense in Patriots' history.

I think the offense can survive and thrive with the loss of Moss, but the defense had a lot to do with our best years.

For crying out loud, would you watch a damned game? Sheesh! Just this last week, Woodhead scored a TD when both Moss and Welker were being doubled and the announcers specifically pointed that out during the replay.

We watch the games, for crying out loud. You mention one play and that proves that Moss is always double teamed? Did you watch the Jests game, for crying out loud? Did you see lots of "single coverage" in that game, for crying out loud? Revis left and then Cromartie covered Moss and Brady tried to get it to Moss and Cromartie intercepted the pass. Do you see a safety over the top as Cromartie intercepted the pass, for crying out loud? I think the Jests did pretty well in the second half of that game while having "single coverage" on Moss. The Jests are in the AFC East. We have to beat the Jests in order to win the AFC East and in order to get to the AFCCG. Revis' hamstring will be fine the next time we play the Jests. Revis or Cromartie can single cover Moss, for crying out loud. How is Moss versus Tate or Price being single covered any different?

Moss is "single covered" by either of the two Jests corners at this point in his career. We have to beat the Jests in order to get anywhere, maybe twice. The Jests are not afraid of Moss as evidenced in both games last year and the first game this year.

Moss is a great receiver but we will not beat the Jests throwing the long ball to Moss in "single coverage".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes