PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cris Carter: Pats no longer an elite offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its obvious that Moss was dogging it.The guy wanted an extension.I also dont like how our offense is run under Bill O'Brien.God i wish we still had Mcdaniels as our OC.

Moss doesnt need to make catches for his impact to be felt. He was the defenses number one focus game in and game out. Attention on him allowed for good match ups for Welker and Hernandez. You arent going to see that anymore, it will make life much more difficult for Brady, Welker and Hernandez

If the Pats have enough weapons, his loss as a decoy will be minimal. Opposing defenses have only so many defenders.

Again, I never said that Moss' loss doesn't hurt the team short term, but it may not be that big of an effect and this offense still could be elite. It just makes it harder to do so. The defense could fall apart, but I tend to doubt it.

you don't double short routes like the ones welker does, if they do, I love the idea of teams leaving Tate to a corner without a safety watching.

For crying out loud, would you watch a damned game? Sheesh! Just this last week, Woodhead scored a TD when both Moss and Welker were being doubled and the announcers specifically pointed that out during the replay.

Moss has caught two passes over 20 yards this season through 4 games. One of them was against a porous Bills defense and the other was when Revis pulled a hammy (although Moss might have beaten him anyway on that play). I don't know if Moss has really been a consistent deep threat either.

Might have beat Revis anyways? Revis pulled the hammy on the final step in the endzone.

Might have beat Revis anyways? Revis pulled the hammy on the final step in the endzone.

He pulled up before that. But it looked like Moss had the jump on him. I think it was more likely than not he would have, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.

Funny...the Patriots are the #1 scoring offense in 2010 so far.

The Pats have scored 17 TD's, 12 by the offense. So 96 (84 points on offensive TD's, xtra points and field goals) out of the 131 points is by the offense. So 73% of the points have been scored by the offense and 27% by special teams and defense. So #1 scoring OFFENSE is quite subjective.

The colts have Reggie Wayne, did u forget that?They also have a system that they run very well on offense.I love Tom Moore then Bill O'Brien.

Reggie Wayne isn't a deep threat. Actually, Randy is one of the few real deep threats in the NFL. Actually, he is kinda overated in this, he doesn't make that many plays deep. Was this a good trade? Absolutely not. Are we better without him? no. Are we still one of the top offenses in the NFL? We'll have to wait, but I believe in it.

you don't double short routes like the ones welker does, if they do, I love the idea of teams leaving Tate to a corner without a safety watching.

You've got to be kidding me.

Reggie Wayne isn't a deep threat. Actually, Randy is one of the few real deep threats in the NFL. Actually, he is kinda overated in this, he doesn't make that many plays deep. Was this a good trade? Absolutely not. Are we better without him? no. Are we still one of the top offenses in the NFL? We'll have to wait, but I believe in it.

fifty.gif

I will tell u this much.I expect teams to blitz Brady even more now.That security blanket is now gone.

The colts have Reggie Wayne, did u forget that?They also have a system that they run very well on offense.I love Tom Moore then Bill O'Brien.

Reggie Wayne makes his bones running intermediate routes; especially at his advanced age, he is not your classic "deep threat", albeit a fine receiver. Newsflash: Tom Moore is retired.

I was inclined, a few hours ago, to disagree with you on this (unlike in the political forum where we usually agree :)). But after taking some time to cool off and read things, I'm leaning your way. I like Randy, and he's obviously very talented, but I'm starting to think that this offense might be able to return to the offensive system we saw a few years ago (when they last won). BJGE is looking solid, and the new TEs are promising. Even Troy Brown thinks so:

Troy Brown: Moss move a 'win-win' - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Either way, we'll all have to just wait two weeks and see!

Army, the Patriots most dominating years were when we had no receiving stars and Brady would throw to anyone who was open.

Man, I'd love to see us return to that old formula. Which reminds me...didn't the Pats BEAT the greatest show on turf? You know, the Rams. I think they had a bunch of receiving stars back then. And how about the Colts? How many championships did they win with both Harrison & Wayne?

Last edited:
Army, the Patriots most dominating years were when we had no receiving stars and Brady would throw to anyone who was open.

Man, I'd love to see us return to that old formula.

Nonsense. The Patriots most dominating year was 2007.

For crying out loud, would you watch a damned game? Sheesh! Just this last week, Woodhead scored a TD when both Moss and Welker were being doubled and the announcers specifically pointed that out during the replay.

I'm on the side of the wait and see after about 3 more games but this post is dead on. I'm not sure if Danny Woodhead scores as easy or has the room to get open so easy if both Moss and Welker had not been double teamed on the outside. So for the back coming out as a receiver it now may be harder to get open. We'll hope whoever is playing wide receiver makes a quick impact so they have to give him the respect and attention Moss got.

I will tell u this much.I expect teams to blitz Brady even more now.That security blanket is now gone.

Of course they will. And that will relegate our 6'7" athletic freak of a TE to even more blocking duty.

Anytime you have a QB as gifted as Brady you have a chance to be an elite offense.

As presently constructed I highly doubt the Pats are an elite offense but they have the potential to be - at least an elite passing offense, should the kids step up and produce.

I really see no way they'll be anything but an average, at best, rushing offense. And, with Moss now gone, that's unfortunate since being able to run would have taken a huge load of the kid receivers.

Finally, of course, to be an elite offense requires at least a very good play caller at the coordinator position. Unfortunately, we fail miserably on this front and I fear no matter how good the kid receivers perform they'll be limited by O'Brien.

The Pats have scored 17 TD's, 12 by the offense. So 96 (84 points on offensive TD's, xtra points and field goals) out of the 131 points is by the offense. So 73% of the points have been scored by the offense and 27% by special teams and defense. So #1 scoring OFFENSE is quite subjective.

Without looking at the other teams that scored more than 96 points and how many they have scored on defense and special teams, it would make them seventh. Gotta think at least several of the teams ahead of them have a few special team and/or defensive TDs.

Besides, I think the Pats only scored 4 special teams/defensive TDs (two in the first game and two on Monday). That makes it 103 offensive points that makes them the sixth best scoring offense without looking at the other teams and whether they scored on special teams or defense.

Its gonna be baby steps now with a 3-1 record.I dont expect us to make the playoffs now unless they go out and get a solid wr.This team was gonna win games by outscoring opponents and the defense not breaking as much.

He pulled up before that. But it looked like Moss had the jump on him. I think it was more likely than not he would have, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.

Rob, come on now. Moss burned Revis before any tweak of any hamstring. And he should have had a 2nd TD that he dropped in the endzone.

When you remove a WR who if he isn't the GOAT, is the 2nd GOAT from an offense, it is a loss.
Can we manage to spread the ball around enough to force defenses to still spread the field enough to allow us openings? Can we maintain enough of a run game to keep defenses honest? Yes, the potential is there, but until it is proven, I don't think it's fair to call our offense "elite" any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back