Welcome to PatsFans.com

Crime levels now higher in the UK than the US

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by gomezcat, Feb 8, 2006.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This is from Gallup, an organisation whose results seem pretty respectable. It reflects what many people in my country have been saying, i.e. that crime is rising. Our Police need to be allowed to do their jobs rather than be chained down with paperwork and standing around in high visibility areas in large groups. One theory I have heard is that America's crime levels have fallen since a) the introduction of zero tolerance coupled with b) community policing so that Officers get to know the locals. Is this true?

http://poll.gallup.com/content/?ci=21346
  2. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,469 / 16 / -12

Disable Jersey

I think that community policing is a great anti-crime tool. The problem in the UK is that burglers KNOW that homeowners cannot use deadly force against them. They have free reign against targets of opportunity. Here in NH, home burgulary is rare because many homes own guns; most of my neighbors do. I don't as I have small children and a very volitile Irish ancestry wife in my home.
  3. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The point about burglars is a very good one. There is also a perception that self-defence is punishable by prison time. That was as a result of this notorious case:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/Content/Features/TonyMartin/asp/KeyEvents.asp

The perception is actually wrong, in that very few people are prosecuted for defending themselves. However, it is a perception shared by everyone, burglars and muggers included.
  4. JLC

JLC Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A wise man! :D
  5. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wise indeed. Any burglar in our house would have to put up with Miss Gcat. Let her loose and she's one of those Special Teams lunatics.
  6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +156 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Crime has gone down in the US mostly because crime has gone down in NYC. It was acheived by cracking down on petty offenses. Turnstyle Jumpers were arrested, fingerprinted, and charged, as were street con artists, low level drug dealers, et al. These took alot of people off the streets, but more importantly it helped the NYPD identify criminals, and greatly expand their sources for information, a guy gets pinched for turnsytle jumping, he starts saying that he knows who did the buglary down the street, to get out of the turnstyle charge. Many times, a guy will jump a turnstyle, he gets arrested, he has a gun on him, he has a prior felony, next thing you know he is in federal court as a convicted felon with a firearm looking at ten years.

Cracking down on Petty crimes, leads directly to an overall reduction of crime.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

THE SAME GOES UP HERE IN MAINE, THERE ARE VERY FEW HOME INVASIONS THOSE THAT DO OCCUR USUALLY KNOW THE PERSON BREAKING IN AND IT MORE THAN LIKELY STEMS FROM A PRIVATE ARGUMENT.

THE BAD GUYS KNOW THAT IF THEY RANDOMLY PICK A HOUSE TO BREAK INTO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND IF FIVE PEOPLE RESIDE IN THAT HOUSE AS SOON AS THEY GET THROUGHT THE WINDOW THEY WILL HAVE FIVE GUNS BLAZING AWAY AT THEM.

THIS VERY THING HAPPENED A FEW YEARS BACK, IT SEEMS A DRUG DEAL WENT BAD THE PEOPLE INVOLVED DECIDED TO BREAK INTO THEIR ENEMY'S HOUSE AT 2:00 AM, THEY MADE A BIG MISTAKE, THEY BROKE INTO THE WRONG HOUSE, AS SOON AS THE WERE INSIDE THEY BOTH WERE DEAD. THE FOLLOWING MONTH THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD THREW A BIG COOKOUT FOR "THE SHOOTERS".
    THERE IS NOW A SIGN AT THE END OF THEIR STREET READING, "BREAK IN AND YOU DIE"
    NO COUNSELING, NO REHABILITATING, JUST SWIFT JUSTICE.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006