PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cre'Von LeBlanc's tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He looks great on tape, but I am not sure about the level of competition. I don't understand the slow40 times; he seems to be able to go step for step with everyone. He looks to be a scrappy, dependable tackler. The one drawback I see on the tape is that he does not look back for the ball and ends up grabbing a lot, but he is pretty darn good for F/A.

Yes, but good cover skills and, yes, speed. Can coached out of the grabby stuff and coached to look for the ball?

Not sure. Both indicate that he's not confident in his coverage ability. Sometimes guys can be coached out of that, other times they cannot. In McCourty's case, he had to be moved to safety because he couldn't be coached out of not being confident enough to turn and look for the ball in man coverage. At safety, he can keep his eyes on the quarterback more and he's absolutely thrived.

He has outstanding open-field tackling skills also.

And he can hit, really clobber guys. Watch some of those WR get up after a Leblanc hit, staring through the earhole, like they have been run over by a truck. He is killing people out there; he seems to have the ability to nail the ball carrier in the solar plexus/hips (like Sam Huff) and send him flying. WR's are going to find this guy is very unpleasant to play against. He is like a poor-man's Calvn Pryor.

I wonder if he will get a look at Free Safety; the most important skill for a safety is tackling ability and this kid has it for sure. He might do better with the ball in front of him.

This guy is a keeper, or at least I hope so.

Last edited:
Maybe its just that he doesnt hit football speed till hes actually playing football.
Maybe he is not a track guy so does not know all the little tricks, like the start, for clocking good times....besides CBs rarely have run 40 yards from a dead stop.

Last edited:
He won't make the team. Jonathan Jones was a major mistake by teams needing a slot CB.

Maybe its just that he doesnt hit football speed till hes actually playing football.

Maybe he's covering guys in Conference USA. Conspicuous absence of highlights against Florida and Miami.

His coachability and how they line him up will be key. Yeah, he's a good hitter and tackler... but when it comes to playing CB he is definitely Handsy McGrabbington.
Does Handsy McGrabbington have a good 3 cone?

:p

Does Handsy McGrabbington have a good 3 cone?

:p

I don't get the 40 time, not at all, but the three-cone looks good (I think; I am not a 3-cone expert):

40-yard dash: 4.65 seconds
Vertical: 34 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 6 inches
Short shuttle: 4.16 seconds
3-cone: 6.91 seconds

I don't get the 40 time, not at all, but the three-cone looks good (I think; I am not a 3-cone expert):

40-yard dash: 4.65 seconds
Vertical: 34 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 6 inches
Short shuttle: 4.16 seconds
3-cone: 6.91 seconds

I think he just had a bad day. With his physical skill I bet hes faster.

Malcom Butler ran a "4.62 40 at his pro day in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in 2014, but the Patriots liked what they saw on tape. After pleading for a redo, Butler runs a 4.4 in a private workout with the Patriots.) He has a three-day tryout. No one expects much; if he is lucky, he might survive the first cuts. But during training camp, Butler breaks up so many passes, Patriots veterans nickname him Scrap" (From The Mag: How Malcolm Butler made the greatest play in Super Bowl history).

Hopefully Leblanc's 4.65 is an aberration also, but it is too much to expect lightening to strike twice, and I will have the usual letdown when one of my binkies gets cut. I hope he at least makes the practice squad.
I just love his feisty-ness, but is that enough?

Last edited:
He's playing man. If he has his back turned playing zone, I'd be more concerned.

I watched the tape again; how does such a scrawny guy hit so hard? It is amazing, and he nails the ball carries in the solar plexus where this is no padding. Look how slow those guy get up after have having their clocks cleaned by Leblanc. I hope he does not apply those hits in training camp against our WRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes