Welcome to PatsFans.com

Credit where credit is due.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patriot_in_NY, May 25, 2009.

1. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Everyone always gives me crap for never giving Obama credit for anything, so I thought I post this. Came across this and was suitably impressed. Most of you know that I'm somewhat of a historian, and I've certainly gone on record here for being particularly harsh on the "Confederate" position, particularly on bestowing significant honors on Confederate notaries that led the rebellion (Such as RE Lee, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Jeff Davis, ect.....).

Not that I do not admire some of their military minds, leadership skills and prowess on the battlefield, I just am very critical of how they used it.

The One was under some pressure to break with tradition and not send a wreath to a Confederate memorial at Arlington.

Fairly reasonable, and I certainly do not see an overwhelming need to honor those that took up "the cause of secession" on the Memorial Day holiday. I can see why we do, as they are American and died on the field of battle, but fundamentally, I don't see the obligation on THIS day in particular. It probably would have been more the divisive move, but I wouldn't have criticized him had he choose not to.

To his credit, he not only sent a wreath to the memorial, but he even got MORE INCLUSIVE and further took it a step further. From the article;

I have LONG felt that the contributions of African Americans in the Civil War (all wars actually) have been ignored. I think that is was a AWESOME MOVE to take a potentially charged issue and turning it to a moment to not take away honors from one group, but to extend it to another, particularly one as deserving as the African Americans that contributed to the Union victory in the Civil War.

GOOD FOR YOU, O.
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. Modest

Modest Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He dodged a bullet with this one.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Never thought about this before... was a good move and makes sense.
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well, much as we shouldn't politicize the soldiers who fight in Iraq, I feel we should somehow memorialize rank-and-file Confederate soldiers who fought and died at their leader's whim. Don't mean to get into a soldiers-should-not-obay bad leadership debate. Some wars in our countries reason have been noble, others have been questionable, but we do honor the dead nonetheless. What's clouds the picture in the case of the Civil War is that enemy soldiers were originally American, and those that survived remained Americans (like it or not). But ultimately, the Confederacy was defeated, and while we should perhaps remove monuments to the leaders, I see the laying of a wreath for Confederates as conciliatory.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

The Yankees were a bunch of hypocrits during the Civil War, many of them blubbered and babbled about freeing the slaves but after they were free the Phony White Northern Mother F-ckers wouldn't let a Black Guy walk by their house or look at their daughter, they couldn't drink in white barooms (that was in my day in Cambridge) they sat in their own section of a movie theatre (that was in my day Cambridge) white kids couldn't invite a Black kid to a birthday party (that was in my day Cambridge) every Black Person in Cambridge in my day was called a "N-gger"a Night Club in Cambridge openly refused to let a Black Person walk through the door (The Blue And Gold, Central Sq) there are thousands more of these little things that the phony White Yankee's were guilty of, they prided themselves on freeing the slaves but they didn't want their kids playing with them.

The Confederates were "Stand Up People" their cause may have been wrong but they wern't "Phony" they let the whole world know just where they stood and many many Blacks respected them for that but your history books will never admit it.
    Phony Double Standard Racist Yankee Bastards

Yankee;
    Not In My Yard.
  6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

politically correct = phony
  7. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

From someone whose so critical of adding substance to a debate....thanks for the input, oh wise genius....:cool:
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Exactly, most all Politically Correct in your facers are "Double Standard Phony's" as are most liberal do-gooders, very few practice the sh!t they preach.

*&^%$*&&)#
  9. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That's true...... I personally would not object to any memorial to confederates, but I do roll my eyes (a little) everytime another Jeff Davis Library opens up. Point well taken in your post though.
  10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

At the very least you have to say he looks for answers in inclusiveness... that said this is all about symbols. And the "solution" looks simple, in retrospect: honor the memory of confederate soldiers, but also Black soldiers who were historically ignored. By the way, who else was famously "conciliatory" toward the Confederacy? O's hero, Abraham Lincoln.

It's just symbols, but the symbols all say "look don't get me wrong. I don't dishonor you, and I don't need to dishonor someone else to honor you." To the extent that symbolism matters, and it does to an extent, he's got a deft touch with it.