Welcome to PatsFans.com

Credit where Credit is Due- Stimulus at work locally(and visibly)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by efin98, Jul 22, 2010.

1. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Edit: not "really" stimulus money" but it is still federal money that is behind it...it came too early to get the money from the stimulus package but it is for all intent and purposes by everyone in the article intended to be used as stimulus money in everything but name.

Now to the actual purchase...This has been put off yet needed for years prior to the stimulus package but your tax dollars at work are going to pay for 20 new and badly needed locomotives for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. These will help retire locomotives that are past their useful service life and/or unreliable. The purchase money also ensures manufacturing and servicing jobs for employees in Massachusetts and at the manufacturing plant in Idaho.

I hate the use of stimulus money by local politicians to pay for their pet projects that seemingly are "saving" or "creating" jobs but at the same time have little to no direct positive public impact- but this one does. Physically creating jobs and at the same time enabling the better service for the public while also retaining local jobs. When done right like this it works...

MBTA > About the MBTA > News & Events

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

The road I take to bring my kid to grade school is horrible ... it has not been paved in at least 30 years. One of the very worst roads in the state.

Yesterday I saw Barack himself running the machine tearing up the old pavement.

thanks Barry, Nancy and the democrat majority.

Hopefully it will still be in good shape as my kid's kid's kid pays for it over 50 years from now.

3. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Many projects are getting done for the public good that actually benefit the public...the ones that don't actually create jobs overshadow them though.

Barry deserves some credit, he put himself in the line of fire and many in Congress will get the axe because of it but for projects like this and yours it is worth it overall.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

Another hand out to the MBTA. Arguably the most inefficiently, and poorly run outfit in the state. If the MBTA were an actual business, it would have been shut down, and sold for parts over a decade ago. The MBTA already gets 20% of the MA sales tax, and it's still running deficits into the hundreds of millions each year. Of course taxpayer funded stimulus money went to a fiscally draining, union run, gubmit agency. This should help teach the MBTA to learn how to run itself more responsibly.

5. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

RW, this had not a damn thing to do with how the MBTA is run or how it is funded. Complain about the crappy service, complain about the bumbling idiots in upper management, complain about the obnoxious union hacks- but this purchase was something that they needed to make and make now.

6. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can solve any problem with enough time and money.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

Then they should do it with their own money, and not the hard earned cash of fellow americans. Why should people outside the state, be forced to pay for the MBTA's new trains? The MBTA is over $5 billion in debt. That number jumps to $8 billion when you factor in their debt service. It already steals 20% of the MA Sales tax, which means I pay for the MBTA, even though I don't use it. The last thing people should be paying for, by way of federal tax stimulus money, is a state's public employee union, and agency. The MBTA allows it's employees to retire after 23 years service, at 80% pay of the average of their top 3 years of earnings. That's propostrous! So here we go sending taxpayer dollars from all across the country, to subsidize their failing operation. I can't celebrate that, sorry.

8. efin98

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Once again one thing has not a damn thing to do with the other. You have a problem with how everything else is funded, so be it- but that doesn't have a damn thing to do with the purchase.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010