PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

crazy thinking on the draft financial slotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Has the time come, when teams are so desprate to move out of the Top, that if trading partner came along, that the money saved to move down would be enough compensation, to make the trade work.

Dolphins have the #1 pick and last years pick made

1 Oakland JaMarcus Russell QB 6 $61.00 $10.17 $7M available in incentives
nearly 11 million a year.

compared with the #10 pick

Houston Amobi Okoye DT 6 $15.40 $2.57
who makes 2.6 million a year

It's crazy to think that any team would give up both picks and Cap room to move up in the draft.

So if there is a guy who is really coveted by a team, and the dolphins were really desprate to move down, would it be far fetched to think it could happen with minuinal compensation if any.

It's not quite as crazy as you think: supposedly, GM A called GM B about the possibility of trading up in the draft. GM B's response was--"Sure. And what else will you give me?"

that's my way of thinking, and would think guys like Parcell's and BB would be thinking outside of the box like this. I think the cap difference for us to move to number one would be like 4 million a year to sign that guy verus at number 7

I had a similar thread several months back when it looked like the possiblity existed for the Pats to get the number 1 overall pick from SF. My thought was, rather wind up with a bloated contract for an unproved rookie, I could see a team simply passing on the pick and waiting until a player they want is available at a reasonable financial slot.

It's not quite as crazy as you think: supposedly, GM A called GM B about the possibility of trading up in the draft. GM B's response was--"Sure. And what else will you give me?"

This is like in the NHL, which has a similarly-working salary cap, when Lou Lamariello gave up a player in exchange for a worse player, and had to throw in a first round pick. He needed to clear salary cap room, and the team he contacted was one of the few teams with available cap space to take on a large contract, and had him over a barrel.

I can see this happening in the NFL once the salary cap stops growing so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down